FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Politcal Game in Worthing Saga

Author Topic: Politcal Game in Worthing Saga
Mickey
Member # 9008

- posted      Profile for Mickey   Email Mickey         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if this game, I can't remember the name, but it was a strategy game played over the years in the book, was ever turned into an online game, or anything like that. I found this http://www.nationstates.net/ which sounds similar, but its also quite limited from what I've read about it. I just remember thinking to myself how neat it would be in "real life" and would not be surprised if someone had created something like it. Sorry if this post has been covered before.

~Mickey

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion the Game is too complex to be done today, but I felt Superpower 2 has come the closest (have yet to play AofE 3).

The Game in the book is the game I most want to play, followed closely by one based on the battles at the end of Ender's Game...

Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
AoE 3 is an RTS, so I doubt that it will have much in common with the political game. From what I can tell about superpower 2, it looks somewhat similar.

Like you said, though, it's probably too complex to create at this point in time.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mickey
Member # 9008

- posted      Profile for Mickey   Email Mickey         Edit/Delete Post 
I read up on Superpower it got horrible reviews, sad...

~Mickey

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Too complex yet to model the behavior of nations. Too unpredictable. A lot of it is elaborate housekeeping (ratios of production to sales to employment to salaries, etc.), but a lot is the ever-inscrutable public opinion, plus the effects of individuals of unusual influence.

In other words, the data are still incomplete.

Plus ... would it be fun to play the leader of a nation in a really good simulation? you would be thwarted by political and economic realities at every turn ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus ... would it be fun to play the leader of a nation in a really good simulation? you would be thwarted by political and economic realities at every turn ...
Leader of a country == boring
Conqueror of other countries == exciting

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.