FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Debrief of Card's first semester teaching

Author Topic: Debrief of Card's first semester teaching
johnbrown
Member # 8401

- posted      Profile for johnbrown           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dying to hear a report on the following things from Scott and the students attending his class.

From the teacher: (a) the top 3-5 things that worked very well and the top 3-5 that you'd do differently, and (b) a few things you learned from this.

From the students: the top 3-5 things you've taken away from this class.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
I second this post.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd also love to hear.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
In the writing class, I'm going to be more insistent on deadlines for turning in stories, and will use grades as the only weapon I have to enforce discipline of that kind.

In the sf/fantasy literature class, I will (when I do it again) lecture more to establish a common view of literature and vocabulary of criticism, before turning things over to the students for presentations. I think the class worked well, but ... not as well as I had hoped.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the sf/fantasy literature class, I will (when I do it again) lecture more to establish a common view of literature and vocabulary of criticism, before turning things over to the students for presentations.
OSC, as a Ph.D. lit student, I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Did you feel like the class didn't proceed with a solid collective grounding in "theory?" Or was it something else?

I'd be really interested in taking such a class, although my experience is that a lot of "literary" people look down too much on sf/f and a lot of sf/f people (oddly enough) look similarly down on the literary "ivory tower" for it to happen (well) very often.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the writing class, I'm going to be more insistent on deadlines for turning in stories, and will use grades as the only weapon I have to enforce discipline of that kind.
In Bootcamp, you used a morning star. None of this mamby-pamby "grade" nonsense. It was, "You have 24 hours to write a story. Those who fail in this will be. . . dealt with."
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott I'm not so sure that such...techniques would be an effective form of getting good papers, but they sure would have them done in time. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say a good clubbing would be quite effective. Of course then you have problems with matriculation attrition.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not so sure that such...techniques would be an effective form of getting good papers, but they sure would have them done in time.
You must be joking.

EVERYONE performs better under threat of squashing.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
<bump> Because OSC seems to have been posting some tonight. I'd be really interested to hear about your course--what worked, what didn't, and why.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.