FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender a photic sneezer? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ender a photic sneezer?
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the blueprints guys. The sneeze reaction was "designed" to clear the respiratory system of foreign irritants before they can damage the system. Bright light irritates the eyes, which are plumbed into the system. So does plucking nose hairs. The design appears to be intelligent. However, the sensors are not all universally calibrated.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow there's a name for it (and to think I passed up this thread for days because I read philotic sneezer). My wife thought I was so weird how I always get the urge to sneeze when I get out to the bright light and then look in the direction of the sun to do so. Now I'm not only not weird, but I genetically belong to a minority now! Whoot.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I sneeze twice every time I walk outside on a bright day. Although lately it's been three sneezes.

I can't believe some people have neither experienced nor witnessed this.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
/boggle

I plead the 5th amendment.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that anyone cares, but I've heard that plucking nose hairs is not a good idea as that particular area is prone to infection (i.e. high exposure to trapped alergens and bacteria). Might want to go with the trimmer and just, you know, keep it clean.

And now I'm off to think happy, non-muculent thoughts.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:

For those of us who haven't experienced it, it's not that we've never witnessed it -- more like, why would we make the connection that going from dark to bright light is what's causing that other person to sneeze? People sneeze all the time. I would assume they breathed in something they're allergic to that I'm not or something. Since bright light doesn't make me sneeze, why should I think that's what's making you sneeze if no one ever pointed that out?

I guess if it always happened to someone I spend tons of time with, I might have been more inclined to make the connection. Believe me, after reading this thread I'll definitely be observing sneezes more carefully!

(And yes, I was one more person who read "philotic sneezer" when I clicked on this thread . . .)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's not actually all that common -- and due to the way it's transmitted, there's a strong likelihood that people who are photic sneezers know mostly other people who also are, and vice versa.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I now have a pimple on the border between my nose and my moustache.

I blame you all.

[Mad]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I accept no blame for your pimple. Now, if you sneezed when suddenly entering the sunlight and your older sister appeared beside you in her most beautiful, idealized and youthful state, perhaps we would need to admit some culpability.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, that happened to me today.
And I don't even HAVE a sister.

Start with the admittances, people.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
I was first alerted to my condition by a Russian missionary companion who thought it was immensly funny that I would sneeze three times every time we walked out of a building (all the stairwells in Russian apartment buildings are poorly lit and we went from one to another at an incredible rate of speed.)

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my mom are both photic sneezer. As already said, I thought it to be normal.
Question: Are you photic sneezers tong-rollers, too? And vice versa.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm a photic sneezer but cannot role my tonue. But touching the top of my mouth with my tongue usually contributes to making me sneeze. Not sure if that's the kind of connection you were looking for. Oh well.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Pinky,

I'm am a tongue-rolling photic sneezing fool [Smile]

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto for me. But no one else in my immediate family can do either. Sometimes I think I'm adopted.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Then either those gens are not-dominant (recessive?)or you are. [Smile] The ultimative test for very child: when both of your parents are tongue-rollers and/or photic sneezers, but you are not, then you are probably adopted or "half-adopted".
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:

Pinky,

I'm am a tongue-rolling photic sneezing fool [Smile]

Sergeant

lol

Welcome in the Club!

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd never even heard of this condition before. I've certainly never seen it. Is it more common in certain geographic areas?
Both my father and me have it, at least to some extent. I thought all people had it... :S
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then either those gens are not-dominant (recessive?)or you are. The ultimative test for very child: when both of your parents are tongue-rollers and/or photic sneezers, but you are not, then you are probably adopted or "half-adopted".
That test doesn't work unless you know for a fact that a trait is autosomal recessive and both your parents have it... Or you know that a trait is autosomal dominant and neither of your parents have it but you do. (Although sometimes autosomal dominant traits are new mutations. Well, so are autosomal recessive ones, but not quite as often, because both parents' genes would have to mutate the same way at the same time for the trait to appear.)

[ February 14, 2006, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.