FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Speculative Fiction

Author Topic: Speculative Fiction
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
hey.

Ran across an interesting interview with William Gibson this week somewhere on the web. He made mention of his view that History, or historical writing (not to be confused with alternate history fantasies), is a speculative genre of fiction much like science fiction. Seemed like an intriguing comparison.

[edit - topically this post belongs on the other side, as is doesn't have anything to do with Card aside from the SF bit.]

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Link?

Considering the speculative part of speculative fiction is, essentially, the "what if" factor, you could say almost all fiction could be called speculative, but least of all historical fiction.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

sorry. It wasn't an interview. It was an essay.

here:

http://www.infinitematrix.net/faq/essays/gibson.html

It seemed like an interesting thought. Though, "speculative fiction" does seem kinda redundant. The point I took away from it is that all writing of history can be viewed as fiction. It certainly is a subjective/interpretive endeavor.

now that I think about it, maybe it's not all that interesting of an observation. "duh" on me.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is what your suggesting, but I don't think Gibson created the term "speculative fiction". I think it was either Heinlein or Ellison.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

"but I don't think Gibson created the term 'speculative fiction'. I think it was either Heinlein or Ellison"

nope. that wasn't what I was suggesting. thanks for the comment.

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like William Gibson is trying desparately to make Sci-Fi at least sound part of the intellectual world of Universities. He should take OSC's suggestion: It's not going to happen and would end up cripling the genre.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
If you take the post-modernist view, pretty much all 'history' is extrapolated from the imagined past anyway. We can't really know what it was like in the past - we can only work from a few sources which we interpret to suit our own cultural biases and preconceived notions.

So, yeah. It could be a valid argument, I guess. But then, all fiction is 'speculative'. None of it is 'real'.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lifewish
Member # 9106

- posted      Profile for Lifewish   Email Lifewish         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to avoid taking the postmodernist view. That way lies madness
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Gibson's point is true but obvious: That is, no matter how rigorously a historian consults the available information, the fact remains that causality is ALWAYS speculative.

But you see, the same is also true of science and every other storytelling genre, because ALL causal assertions are speculative. They may depend on loads of experience, information, testing, etc., but there always remains the possibility that an unthoughtof cause is a contributing, modifying, or even complete explanation of the data.

It's one of the reasons we need fiction. History, science, news, gossip - all the "fact-based" stories - are always open to revision when new data or new interpretations become available. But fiction, since it exists only in the text (or film), can never be "corrected" by new "facts." It can be contradicted in the sense that "it couldn't happen," but never in the sense that "it didn't happen that way." And therefore the causal assertions of the storyteller stand.

The odd thing is that so many postmodernists think they're saying something exciting, new, revolutionary when they assert the uncertainty of historical writing. But historians have always known this - haven't they spent centuries now poring over the same data, writing yet another history or another biography, correcting or amplifying the causal assertions of their predecessors? It's what historians DO.

It's like somebody frantically holding up a sign beside a freeway, saying in big letters: "Check your gas gauge! If you don't refill your tank in time, you might run out of gas!" Duh! Maybe some people need the reminder, but it's not like it's new information to anybody.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

"Gibson's point is true but obvious."

Didn't I already say that?

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't someone else allowed to?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Clod,

Were you looking for someone to decide not only that you were correct, but to what degree you were correct?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, (though I seem to be succeeding) but short of saying that all scholarly history is a fiction to be scrapped, I think that most people who have studied history would agree that it is impossible to view the past as a math problem to be identified, added up and quantified.

In college, my history thesis was that authors such as Disraeli gave us a better idea of life in England during the 1800's than someone like Arthur Schlesinger could. Not because Schlesinger was dishonest in his analysis, but because Disraeli didn't let facts impare his ability to also portray the feelings of the people.

It was a tough thesis to write. How does one prove that facts can't prove history?

Anyway, I look at the Constitution and realize that the present shapes history as much as history shapes the present. I don't look at this as a bad thing because I don't need the past to be static.

Goodness, if we can't even look at the present with 20/20 vision, how can we possibly expect the past to be without distortion.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

Rat,

I would suppose so. Seems like a good idea.

LD,

Wasn't there somebody who said something to the effect that (paraphrasing) "the only thing to learn from history is that nobody learns from history"?

Though your acceptance of distortion is somewhat troubling, thanks for your response.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.