FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Secret of Monkey Island

Author Topic: Secret of Monkey Island
Appletanks
Member # 7641

- posted      Profile for Appletanks   Email Appletanks         Edit/Delete Post 
This was one of my favorite games of all-time. I found today, through a series of IMDb. I was looking at Wolfgang Petersen, and saw Ender's Game (which is incredible within itself) then noticed Card had his own link. I followed this link, and noticed, among other games, that he wrote insults for Secret of Monkey Island.

The insults in thet game were classic. I had no idea Orsen Scott Card had anything to do with that. I post here today to put forth my compliments. You are indeed a genius.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcabrera35
Member # 8574

- posted      Profile for dcabrera35   Email dcabrera35         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the first computer game I ever played. It was soooooooo awesome and addictive. I like how the insults had to match up perfectly, and if you picked a cheap one, the pirate responds with "Is that the best you can come up with?"

Oh the good ole days [Smile]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
My kids came up with the wonderful awful lame insults you start with (I asked them what stupid insults they were hearing on the playground at school).
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, crap, I forgot I came up with the bad ones, too! I still brag about the one involving apes at a family reunion ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcabrera35
Member # 8574

- posted      Profile for dcabrera35   Email dcabrera35         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how you have to match the insults perfectly. The pirates sometimes give you a "Is that the best you can come up with?" if you throw a lame one their way.

Yeah I admit, I found the Ps2 version of it at EBGames... I hope its as good as the older ones.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnWithAnH
Member # 9112

- posted      Profile for JohnWithAnH           Edit/Delete Post 
That. is. awesome.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickinthehead
Member # 8711

- posted      Profile for sickinthehead           Edit/Delete Post 
I love that game and use the insults quite a lot. Sometimes people know the right response, and sometimes they don't have a clue and think I'm just weird. It's fun.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

I keep wishing they'll re-release them. Those games were so much fun.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I'm pretty sure the only Monkey Island released for the PS2 was the last in the series, which was nowhere near as good. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't OSC write the dialogue for The Dig?

Ah, the SCUMM engine. <tear>

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Will these games play on modern PC's? I'd like to find a copy; I've never heard of it before. Is it text-only, or like the King's Quest games, or . . .?
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
There are programs (like DosBox) you can use that may allow you to play the older games on a modern PC. I use it to play the Wing Commander series which were often tough to get running on newer systems.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, skip dosbox. Use ScummVM.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell yeah I just bought the PSP version just so I can relive all the happy memories of beating monkeys over the head with the stun stick [Big Grin] good times.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.