FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Exenocide?

Author Topic: Exenocide?
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Exenocide?
I mean really people, thats how some jock at my school pronounced it.
And if you scroll lower it ever spells out the name in quotes.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, it happens. I've pronounces things from books strangely in the past. It really doesn't seem worth judging people over.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh but he's an idiot.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Many people are. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that his classmate says it that way is one thing but how did Amazon get it wrong?

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon just switched the E and the X. A typo, I guess.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I always admire people who mispronounce words. It means they learned them by reading when nobody around them actually used these words in conversation; it implies a certain degree of self-education. Which is, I think, the noblest kind.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
That leads me to wonder, how do *you* pronounce "err"?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with OSC! I often discover I have been pronouncing a word wrong after having done it for years. Then it becomes a hard habit to break. But when you come across a word in print, and not always wanting to run to the dictionary right away, you just pronounce it the way it looks to you. But yes Amazon misspelling it is very huge!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Subhuman
Member # 9052

- posted      Profile for Subhuman   Email Subhuman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always admire people who mispronounce words. It means they learned them by reading when nobody around them actually used these words in conversation; it implies a certain degree of self-education. Which is, I think, the noblest kind.
I've had the same problems with some words. Not common as a word as Xenocide. I didn't think anybody else noticed that. Well, I guess I'm not alone...
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
I passed OSC's post on to my wife and it made her very happy because I often give her a hard time about how she pronounces words. I think OSC' view on this is great. (Of course as a kid I pronouced buffet and ballet with T's making myself sound a little silly.)

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I pronounced 'Reader's Digest' wrong--a hard 'g'. It was during the seventies and I guess I was picking up on the hippy slang. For the longest time I really thought these were stories that readers dug the most.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
For the longest time I really thought these were stories that readers dug the most.

[ROFL] I know I had a lot of words like that too--can't think of any offhand, but I was in my own little book-inspired world when I was a kid.

Oh, jalopy is one of them. To this day I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing it right--I put the stress on the wrong sylLABle. I mean, who ever says the word jalopy? It's a book word!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

-Tries to steer the thread back to the original topic of amazons slightly funny spelling error-
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
"The best SF book iv'e ever read after "Battle Field Earth" (L.Ron.Hubberd) you grow up with Ender Wiggin - You think alike and you allways have that feeling of a missed childhood for poor Ender - The Saviour of the world"

^^From an Amazon review

I don't know whether, if I were OSC, to feel complimented by a person who enjoyed EG, or insulted that it's mentioned in the same breath as Battlefield: Earth...

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joshua Newberry:
"The best SF book iv'e ever read after "Battle Field Earth" (L.Ron.Hubberd) you grow up with Ender Wiggin - You think alike and you allways have that feeling of a missed childhood for poor Ender - The Saviour of the world"

^^From an Amazon review

I don't know whether, if I were OSC, to feel complimented by a person who enjoyed EG, or insulted that it's mentioned in the same breath as Battlefield: Earth...

That is just scary!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.