FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Who knows Musicals?

Author Topic: Who knows Musicals?
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have an audition in 2 weeks - I have a friend helping with the dance piece. I am doing a nice Iago monologue from the end of act 2 scene 3 for my Shakespeare. I haven't quite got a contemporary monologue but I am thinking Daniel Macivor possibly a small part from Wild Abandon. The only thing left to choose is a song.

So if anyone knows musicals and has a nice suggestion for 32 bars (about 1 minute and a half of a song) that I could do that would be amazing. I own the backtracks to Jesus Christ Superstar, Cabaret, Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, Music Man, Little Shop of Horrors, and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

If anyone has suggestions from one of these or from other sources I am just messaging here to utalize a bunch of people that seem to have interest in everything. Thanks!

Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Try the other side.

DO NOT audition with Phantom. [Smile]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't audition with Phantom - overdone, there is a movie of it now, and that would just shows that I would be some high schooler hoping to making it big time - yeah no thats why I took a couple years before deciding to audition for the program.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tms
Member # 9017

- posted      Profile for tms   Email tms         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Sondheim. 'Assassains', 'Into the Woods'? 'Sweeny Todd' if yer feelin operatic.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the audition for a college program or a specific show? Will there be an accompanist (thereby requiring you to have the sheet music), or will you be singing a capella? Are you familiar with any musicals besides the ones you have the cast albums for, or does the piece have to be from one of those you listed? And do you know what your vocal range is (tenor, baritone, etc.)? Also, what style of music is the dance piece using? It might be a good idea to choose a contrasting vocal piece, depending on how the dance audition works.

Sorry to pepper you with questions. [Smile] I'm just not fully clear on what the context of your audition is.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

It is for a college program, I cannot use sheet music but I can have Cd accompiant. I Am baritone/bass with a wee bit o tenor in me, and I am dancing House music for my dance piece.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Do something from Spamalot
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I meant sheet music for the potential accompanist to use. [Smile] It might not be much help if you discover the perfect song, only to find you don't have access to the material you'd need for the audition. But if they prefer you to sing either a capella or with CD accompaniment (I'm assuming karaoke-style, without any vocals on the CD?), then it's a moot point.

IMHO, since it sounds like your dance piece will be more up-tempo, a ballad would be a nice contrast and could also show off your voice nicely. I'm not familiar with Wild Abandon, but Google searches point towards it being a Beckett-esque comedy, so a ballad could contrast well with that too.

Hmm...from the shows you listed, most of the songs that come to my mind are more on the tenor end. "Herod's Song" from Superstar could be an option; the "So you are the Christ..." cut-time section would probably work best for an audition cutting, although that song wouldn't be my top choice for an audition piece. But maybe that's just me.

In the Lloyd Webber vein, "Close Ev'ry Door" from Joseph...Dreamcoat could be a good piece. "On the Street Where You Live" from My Fair Lady is a great song, although it does have some sustained high D's that might be a stretch for you. (Being that I've never heard you, I could be completely wrong there.) "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot is beautiful, and the King Arthur character could contrast well with Iago. Cole Porter has a lot of great songs too, like "It's All Right With Me" from Can-Can.

I tried to pick songs that shouldn't be too hard to learn in two weeks if you're not already familiar with them. I'm sure there's a lot of other great songs out there, too, but I have the sheet music to all the ones I've listed, so if there's one you're interested in, I could email it to you as a pdf if you want. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

yeah blast my baratone - I could plaussibly due Herod's Song - but you are right it would suck for an audition - looking the JC route I think heaven on their minds is a good one - Gethsename is also good but a bit big for only 32 bars - to do part of it just wouldnt well work - something with maybe a chorus and a verse or two would be perfect.
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Do NOT do Gethsemane. It is a well-known tenor song, and if you try to weasel 32 bars out of it that are somewhat in your range without hitting the so called "money" notes, then your audience will think themselves victims of a bait-and-switch. You're much better off doing a baritone song. Any of the ones Nell Gwyn mentioned would be fine. (by the way, Nell, have I ever mentioned that I love your SN?) I especially like "On the street where you live." Other suggestions are "Miracle of Miracles" from Fiddler on the roof (up-tempo,) "Santa Fe" from Newsies (ballad, possibly too high for your range, but you can find transposed versions,) anything from Big River (Huck Finn is a baritone,) or one of Marius' songs from Les Miserables. That's all I can think of at the moment. Les Mis is still pretty much considered overdone, but depending on what college program you're auditioning for, it may not matter. They're looking for acting ability, not to cast you in their show.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Yeah, I would definitely avoid any song that's obviously for a tenor. (I'm only passing familiar with JCS, so I can't remember how "Gethsemane" goes.) Likewise, I'd also avoid Les Mis because of the overdone aspect, although it's an awesome show. But if you *have* to choose a song from it, "Stars" or "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" would probably be your best bets, although both get pretty high up there, esp. the latter. I didn't suggest that show originally because I always think of it as a tenor show, even though Javert is probably technically a baritone with the odd high note. I'd call Marius a tenor role with a really wide range. (It seems to me like a lot of guys' roles in recent years call for mega-ranges. Not sure if this is an ongoing trend for the future, though.)

Going through the rest of my songbooks....

"Where's the Girl?" from The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my all-time favorite guys' songs, and it doesn't have any sustained high notes (except for the E-flat at the very end, and even that's done almost in falsetto in the recordings I've heard). But the rhythms could be tricky if you haven't heard the song before, and Wildhorn's music is known for being very "poppy", which may be a disadvantage...the show didn't do so well on Broadway, either. But it's a fabulous song...makes me wish I were I guy so I could sing it. [Smile] Also by Wildhorn, "Once Upon A Dream" from Jekyll & Hyde is short, sweet, and not too high. Still with the poppy rhythms, though. "This is the Moment" is the big guys' song from that show, but it's definitely for a tenor. (Yet another I'd love to sing; too bad it sounds silly as a soprano song. [Razz] )

"Some Enchanted Evening" from South Pacific might be a good song. Lots of long notes, though, so you'd really need good breath support. And I can't remember ever hearing this performed, but "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?" from Cinderella looks to be in a baritone's range, and it's pretty straightforward without being too simplistic-sounding.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Brian - [Big Grin] When I registered, I wondered if anyone would catch that.
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

Hmm I wish I could stick to ones I have the backtracks too but it's hard to choose from them. Someone suggested 76 Trombones from Music Man but I don't think it shows any range at all. Oddly this is proving to be the most difficult choice - least ive almost completed memorizing everything else (and actually making it good slowly heh) I'm watching a production of "Guys and Dolls" on Sunday maybe that will give me some inspiration - Thanks for the suggestions i'll get copys of those songs and take a listen.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

There are also films of My Fair Lady, Camelot, and Joseph if you haven't seen/heard any of those shows. I really think any of the songs I mentioned from those would make great audition pieces, esp the first two.

Break a leg, and let us know what song you do! [Smile]

Edit: I forgot; there's also a quasi-movie of Jekyll & Hyde. I haven't seen it yet, but it's starring David Hasselhoff...which is probably why I haven't seen it yet. [Roll Eyes] Supposedly they're also doing a real film of the musical in the next year or two.

V'era
Member # 9079

- posted      Profile for V'era           Edit/Delete Post 
The only other musical I can think of is "Les Miserables"...

*isn't very helpful*

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Godspell?
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Avenue Q
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
No Avenue Q, no Rent, no Phantom, no Spamalot... *certainly* no Lennon...No Wicked, either.

Don't hop on the hot current musical bandwagon. It's overly risky. (don't mean to steal your fire, Lisa, that's just my opinion [Smile] )

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

yeah current musical bandwagon is something i've been told to avoid. Hard choice still heh - i've memorized both monolgues now - made the shakespeare one good - working on the dance (I found out real dancing is hard) - but still no choice - it'll come to me I'm sure - still can't get a few popular ones out of my head though.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Defying Gravity from Wicked is very good if you have a powerful voice that can reach all over the place. If you can do a baratone of that well, you'll blow people away.

Or, on the other hand, Les Mis is preferable if you don't have the skills for Wicked. Try one of the songs like Empty Chairs or A Little Fall of Rain. Don't be afraid to take a song written for a girl. It can be made manly quite easily.

Incidentally, what are you trying ot for?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
I will try to stick to what you have the backtracks to.

Does your Cabaret have the song "dont go" on it... it is a nice baritone song that is not veryt well known as it is only done in certain versions of the show. if you are right for the Emcee role than you could do "wilcommen"...which you can sing and act very well... but that runs the risk as steriotyping you into a oddball role.

From "little shop" my favorite song is "somewhere thats green" which is usally a girls song, but with a few lyric changes can be done as a man. There is a Mandy Patinkin CD where he does it. A fun song, but maybe tough to do without the backup singers is You'll be a Dentist. and in terms of the seymore songs i think "Grow for me" is a great song, it also a song that you can make some good acting choices in.

I would steer clear from Phantom. Music Man doesnt have many great audition songs for guys except "trouble" which is a pretty tough song and is really more about acting than singing.

Maria from W.S.S. is a great audition song, but you run the risk of it being overdone. plus, it is on the high side for a baritone... if you can sing it I would consider it but if you can't sell it than you can bet that they have heard someone do it better.

Im not too familiar with Rocky H.P.S. but i dont think there are great audition songs.

your best bet is to stick to little shop or cabaret (maybe West side story too)
I would say that your best bet is "Grow for me" or "Somewhere thats Green" from little shop.

If you are looking for suggestions beyond these musicals let me know and I could give you some great song choices.
-dab

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

See I know trouble backwards and forwards as I've played Harold before. Also the backtracks for Dentist that I have has "backup" singers in it heh. For Cabaret I only know money makes the world go round (the broadway version as the movie version is messed and crappy) After talking with a Prof - she said Little Shop (Dentist or Feed Me) or Jesus Christ Super Star - She doesn't know Rent but it was also suggeted One Song Glory - although overdone is perfectly in my range.

And the audition is for the BFA Program at the University of ALberta.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Sean, I know your audition date is fast approaching, but if at all possible, I would strongly encourage you not to audition by singing along with a CD recording (by that I mean one with the original recorded vocals on it). If I'm understanding you correctly, this is what it sounds like you're leaning towards.

From the UofA department website, the program you're auditioning for looks really competitive, and to have the best shot at getting in, you should make your audition as professional as possible. And at a professional audition, singing along with a cast album would absolutely NOT be allowed - if you walked into a professional audition with one, they'd likely not let you audition at all.

Where they say in their audition info that they'll provide you with a CD/cassette player, I'm almost certain they mean for the auditioners to use pre-recorded accompaniment that doesn't include any vocals - the purpose of the audition is so that they can hear *your* voice, not you singing along with someone else. Do you have a voice teacher? Or know anyone who can play the piano accompaniment for your song so that you can record a tape/CD of the accompaniment? Perhaps an old choir director from high school or a church accompanist?

If I misunderstood your intentions on using a CD, I apologize. I'd just really hate to see you not get into the program because of a simple mistake. And like I said, I have the sheet music to all the songs I listed, and I'd be happy to email them to you. If it would help you to hear recordings of songs you're unfamiliar with, your public library might have CDs of some of them.

Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

Of course I wouldn't use CD's with the Vocals IN them heh - I have nothing but intrumental tracks to all I have listed. I produced a musical in the Fringe last year and have many of these tracks in my collection because I have previously purchased them for other projects I have been involved with. Have no fear of my making a simple mistake like that - if I were to make such a mistake I wouldn't be fit for the program.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

*breathes HUGE sigh of relief*

I was really worried there for a bit! I'm very, very glad that I was wrong. [Smile]

dab
Member # 7847

lucky... even if your tracks are just music, i would conisder hireing an accompanist to record your tracks even if you do a song that you already have recorded... this will only cost you about 10 or 15 bucks to do, and even if the quality is not as good as your track, it will seem more professional than one of the karaoke style tracks that you already have.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

I know what you mean - Some of the tracks are just that, we recored them in a local studio, (Rocky Horror, Cats) Some are orchestral tracks (West Side, Phantom, Music Man) and the rest are karaoke Style. A few I have available to me that are out of the ones I already own - I found a orchestral and locally created versions of Luck be a Lady and One Song Glory.

See learning the song won't be hard to me, CHOOSING IS - Mostly because I only am alowed to use 32 Bars of a song - so about a min and a half.

Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I would recomend "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
I would recomend "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot.

*nodnodnod*

The problem with the shows whose accompaniment you own is that, while there are a lot of guys' songs, there aren't very many that would be well-suited to your voice. And those that could be probably aren't the most ideal audition pieces.

I hesistate to say this, but if you don't have a way to get recorded accompaniment for a more appropriate song in time for the audition, it might actually be better to sing a capella with a song that actually works for your voice. That is, provided that the program allows a capella auditions, and provided that you're secure enough in your singing ability not to go off-key without accompaniment. (I find the fact that the school doesn't provide an accompanist for the auditions a bit odd, to tell you the truth. I've never heard of a school doing that.)

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I haven't seen sheet music for "Luck, Be a Lady", but that song might be okay to use. Maybe not the best, but it could possibly work. Without the music in front of me, I can't help with the cutting - plus with a recording like what you have, it'd be difficult since you can't customize which bits you'd use. You're pretty much limited to one continuous chunk of song, rather than, say, the first verse, the chorus, and then splicing it to the coda for a clean ending that'll make your cutting sound like an actual song instead of just half of one....

*exits thread still pondering*

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
I forgot; there's also a quasi-movie of Jekyll & Hyde. I haven't seen it yet, but it's starring David Hasselhoff...which is probably why I haven't seen it yet. [Roll Eyes] Supposedly they're also doing a real film of the musical in the next year or two.

No. No, no no nononononono...

That was the single worst piece of musical theatre I have ever seen in my entire life. And I sat through Moulin Rouge *and* Cabaret. It was just...sad how pathetic it was. Jekkyl requires much more range than Hasselhoff will ever be capable of. Listen to the concept album -- it's fantastic. But don't bother with the DVD.

If they are seriously considering doing a movie version of it Hasselhoff, I don't know what I'd do. [Cry]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Yeah, that would be why I called it a quasi-movie. ( [Roll Eyes] at the very thought of Hasselhoff) IMDB doesn't say anything except that it's announced. The press release doesn't have any further info other than who the producers are. I hope it turns out well, though.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of Jamie's songs from The Last Five Years are pretty excellent in my opinion. It's a well respected but not overdone show, so that should be good, right?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

on a side note, there is a show rehearsing in NYC right now called "Hassellhoff! a life in revue" I saw this today and laughed.
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

quote:
Originally posted by dab:
on a side note, there is a show rehearsing in NYC right now called "Hassellhoff! a life in revue" I saw this today and laughed.

That is hilarious - heh and Nwell you say lost about "my range" I just gave you the most comfortable - my range isn't horrible enough that I can't stretch into tenor and bass. As well I have different keys of many of these songs.

After doing tech for a show last night I've heard of some folklore that someone I know got in by singing Happy Birthday and making the dance 15 minutes before - the main components being the monologues what with it being an acting school. I myself still want good pieces for both though and now I think I do have everything ready and I have been rehersing a couple songs on the list so that I can choose at my discression the best that works (after I show in front of a few people)

The only thing I can do is what all good actors do, that is be honest to myself and my characters in the audition. If I can show them what I am capable of and what potential lies within me through use of simple skills that are sadly rare these days it may be enough for them to take notice. Even if I don't get in that will be fine for me though - it isn't something to get worked up on like so many do: that having been said that doesn't mean that I don't want it, I have to want it, I want to want it, and so I do. Like dogs they can smell fear and from me at most they will get is sweat from my dance piece. I got 3 days - thanks folks for all being honest and giving great opinions and advice.

Sean.

dab
Member # 7847

let us know how it goes.
tms
Member # 9017

- posted      Profile for tms   Email tms         Edit/Delete Post 
i can only say it one more time, after that i feel as if my suggestion must (somehow) be out of taste, range or knowledge: stephen sondheim. i'll lerner and lowe any day of the year, i'll camelot, spamelot, brigadoon or even godspell it, but do you want to IMPRESS them Luckster? if you do, it's Sondheim all the way - i double dare you.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

Usually it is a good idea to avoid Sondheim at auiditions because the songs are often too difficult for the accompanist to sightread well. however in this case there will not be an accompanist so I guess it would not matter. If you are going to sing Sondheim at an audition you should know who the accompanist is and that they can play it, or bring your own so that you know that they can. -dab
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

AHA! KK - Practicing monologues in a underground theatre parking with friends; this is how I learned all I need to know for this audition. I'm ready and happy - thanks all for input. Gotta sleep casuse its in 12 hours [Big Grin]
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck!
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Break a leg, Sean! Let us know how it goes!
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

It went amazingly well - I don't think I will get a callback though - not this time. But I know that when I approach this again I will do a million times better. If I do get one though I will do much better within the week of the next audition and plausibly get in. Thanks everyone.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.