FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » what is the latest on the EG Movie??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what is the latest on the EG Movie???
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know?
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DMLPro
Member # 8653

- posted      Profile for DMLPro   Email DMLPro         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you heard already. I am the new director. I am also going to be playing Ender. I will be playing every other part as well. The movie budget is $500 million. It should be decent.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by clod:
I heard it was "impossibly" to film.

YES IM THE FIRST TO BE A JERK! *Ahem* "Impossibly" isn't a word

I mean, I know what you mean. However don't think anything is impossible, they have been saying that about novels and plots forever and some creative genious out there can somehow find away. It might take time but it would be worth it.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Impossibly" isn't a word.
Yes, it is.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Impossibly, he is correct.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm right more than a statistically insignificant percentage of the time! [Razz]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure? [Razz]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, I know what you mean. However don't think anything is impossible, they have been saying that about novels and plots forever and some creative genious out there can somehow find away. It might take time but it would be worth it.
Yup. Just think of "Lord of The Rings".
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope that they make it as close to the book as posible. Too many movies have been ruined because the director/script writers changed it too much. [Cry]

"Impossibly" is a word

DMLPro: I'd like to see you play Ender and Bean and still play Petra and Valentine [Big Grin]

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It's now official and signed. The option with Warner has been renewed. I'm working right now on a completely new screenplay, based on no previous version; we are combining the key storylines of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into a single film. Warner Brothers has assigned a very supportive executive to the project who I believe will do a superb job of shepherding this project to an excellent film.

In writing the screenplay, I am relying on that executive, plus the team at Chartoff Productions and my partners in my own film company, to help me create a draft that will be filmable. Still, it's quite possible that I won't get all the way there; I'll have no problem if another writer is brought in after me. But I think we have solved the problems that made EG so difficult to film; I think we'll have a version that is clear and entertaining to those who haven't read the books, satisfying to those who have, and emotionally powerful to all.

Wish me luck.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

*fanboy squee*

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo Hoo!

*happy dance*

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[Party]
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]

Is it too early to start lining up outside the theatres?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering it was 10 degrees here today (-5 wind chill)...yeah. You SoCal people knock yourselves out, though.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forensicgeek
Member # 8430

- posted      Profile for forensicgeek           Edit/Delete Post 
Buenas Suerte!
Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
[Picks jaw up off the floor]

Well, I think I may just like 2006, after all!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. And you call yourself a superhero!
Jeesh
Member # 9163

I can't wait. I hope the Battle Room is good.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Good luck, OSC!

[The Wave]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhh . . . I'm so glad I popped into this thread ostensibly to answer seriously some silly question *grin* and heard the latest and greatest . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, it's quite possible that I won't get all the way there
oh, c'mon now. We all know you MAKE your own luck.

Break a leg, sir.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

There is no way EG won't be a movie without about millions of letters/e-mails. If it isn't a movie, I'll probably e-mail or write about a thousand letters asking why.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I think we have solved the problems that made EG so difficult to film; I think we'll have a version that is clear and entertaining to those who haven't read the books, satisfying to those who have, and emotionally powerful to all.
...as long as it's still about Ender.

Good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
WOO HOO now that will be a movie i would stand out in 0 degree weather to be the first in line to see!!!!
[The Wave]
[Party]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Bon chance! (Je suis à l'ouest de France a ce moment, donc j'ecris en français)
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for letting us know, Senhor Scott.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
INCONCIEVABLE!!!

-I dont think that word means what you think it means...

Happy Dance! [Party]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
*casually clubs an orange penguin*

"Sorry, the script called for it!"

*drags seal carcass off to the orange factory*

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
Shur iz taykin uh lawng tym

everything's always being pushed back and taking forever to get around to.. Just put The Island and Harry Potter together and ya got your movie right there.. tell ya what..

-Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Harry Potter? I've seen all the movies and read the books, how is it like EG?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOHOO!
BEST OF LUCK!

[Party]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD LUCK and best wishes!!!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

"*casually clubs an orange penguin*

"Sorry, the script called for it!"

*drags seal carcass off to the orange factory*"
-originally posted by Clod.

Apparently no one informed you that an OrangePenguin is seven feet tall and has super powers. Clubbing one would just make it mad. I dont recomend clubbing me or anyother OrangePenguin for that matter. On a second note how did you supposedly get a seal carcass from clubbing a penguin? [Confused]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you think they will handle the issue of a story spanning six years of a child's life. The issue with Bean would not be that big of a deal since he was genetically altered. Ender, on the other hand, would change a lot between six and twelve. Since the story does have some gaps in it from time to time, you could have a couple of actors play Ender. This has been done in other movies and it makes it believable (Butterfly Effect), but you will not have quite the marketable character like Harry Potter.

I have read Ender's Game about 20 times now in the past 20 years. I have bought the book about 20 times also, since I "lend" the book to a friend to read and never get it back. It's ok though, I figure, if the Gideon’s can do it with Bibles in hotels, I can do it with such a wonderful book. I always wondered what a movie would be like, but back then the argument was "there are some things you just can't do in a movie". Obviously that is not the case now.

I can't wait for the movie. I'll be in line prior to opening to get the first screening.

Good luck OSC!

Jack

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard the story's timeline will be compressed to 1 year, and Ender will start out older (ten-ish?)

Of course, since OSC has started the writing process again from scratch that may no longer be true, but I'd bet it probably still is.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V'era
Member # 9079

- posted      Profile for V'era           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Wish me luck.

Good luck! [Big Grin]

*is late* *but still excited*

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crocobar
Member # 9102

- posted      Profile for Crocobar   Email Crocobar         Edit/Delete Post 
"In my experience there's no such thing as luck." Obi-Wan.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sydneybristow
Member # 9198

- posted      Profile for sydneybristow   Email sydneybristow         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]

I am soooo excited!!!

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kat@nip
Member # 9210

- posted      Profile for Kat@nip   Email Kat@nip         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are two of my all time favourite books. When I need a break from the university text, they are the ones I read. I can remember when I first read Ender's Game I longed to see a movie made of it. OSC; The best of luck and Thank you
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tms
Member # 9017

- posted      Profile for tms   Email tms         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck old bean.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter_The_Great
Member # 9212

- posted      Profile for Peter_The_Great   Email Peter_The_Great         Edit/Delete Post 
0 degrees, I'll be waitin in line even if it gives me frostbite, can't wait, good luck OSC
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
So, any idea when the movie might be finished?

*quietly poisons 0range7Penguin fish*

*insures that poison can bypass all of 0range7Penguin powers*

Haha! Die Penguin!

*0range7Penguin keels over, twitches* Hey clod! Its Penguin soup tonight! [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
ehh if i can go camping in october november in ohio i can withstand waiting in rather very cold weather to see a good film. plus i will be the first one in line so i might get a little warmth comming out from underneath the theater door [Wink]

*administers antidote to the poor penguin seeing as how poisoned penguin prolly wouldnt taste very pleasently anyhows

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

I will be the first in line. My friend is the manager at the theater I go to, I can be sure I'll have a good seat!

*Helps Orange7Penguin to club Advent115*

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Yay [Party]

And hey i hadn't been to your bar yet...now i dont know if i want to. Escpecially if they serve penguin soup. Could be interesting though...never exactly tried cannabalism before... [Evil]

Jeesh
Member # 9163

Trust me, I tried it once- my army didn't like me eating them. [ROFL]
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
It's now official and signed. The option with Warner has been renewed. I'm working right now on a completely new screenplay, based on no previous version; we are combining the key storylines of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into a single film. Warner Brothers has assigned a very supportive executive to the project who I believe will do a superb job of shepherding this project to an excellent film.

In writing the screenplay, I am relying on that executive, plus the team at Chartoff Productions and my partners in my own film company, to help me create a draft that will be filmable. Still, it's quite possible that I won't get all the way there; I'll have no problem if another writer is brought in after me. But I think we have solved the problems that made EG so difficult to film; I think we'll have a version that is clear and entertaining to those who haven't read the books, satisfying to those who have, and emotionally powerful to all.

Wish me luck.

Good luck Mr. Card! As for what you mentioned about bringing in another writer after you for the screenplay - I just can't see that.

You did a fantastic job on the story for Advent Rising and it wasn't your story! (Seriously - I loved the storyline in that game!)

Anyway considering what you said about the Serenity movie, I think, if *anything* they could bring in Joss Whedon for a screenplay? He's a great writer, and while I didn't like his Buffy or Angel shows, I am a huge Firefly nut. The guy can definitely do Sci-Fi, unlike some *other* writers we know named.. uh... George.

Anyway I don't ever see a need to replace or even 'help' the great OSC for an Ender's game screenplay but if it happens, I think Joss Whedon wouldn't do too shabby.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you think they will handle the issue of a story spanning six years of a child's life.
They should just not mention the time frame at all, thus completely circumventing the problem. That way viewers can choose to assume it took place over however much time they find believable. There's no reason, as far as the story goes, that they need to know whether it was one year, three years, or six years.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's the fact that unlike fully grown adults children age visibly from year to year. But as I said above, I hear that the timeline of the film, from Ender being recruited, to the third invasion, will be reduced to just 1 year rather than 6. Maybe, like you said, it won't be explicitly stated, but the characters won't age more than a year.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.