FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » A question about a book of OSC

Author Topic: A question about a book of OSC
sydneybristow
Member # 9198

- posted      Profile for sydneybristow   Email sydneybristow         Edit/Delete Post 
In the book, Rachel, he says that the next installment of the women of Genesis will be called Wives of Israel. Does anyone have any clue as to when that will be released?

Hello, by the way!!!

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Hatrack homepage, it just said "forthcoming". Maybe someone else can find a different answer or we will both just have to wait! [Wink]

Welcome btw! (I loved the first several seasons of Alias! woo hoo)

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
They refuse to print my books until I write them. this is very frustrating to me.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sydneybristow
Member # 9198

- posted      Profile for sydneybristow   Email sydneybristow         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I can see how that would be frustrating!!

I understand how you would have lots of pots in the fire...

" Welcome btw! (I loved the first several seasons of Alias! woo hoo) "

I do too, later they get a bit muddled, but I am a huge fan of the first 4 seasons or so.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking forward to that one. Rachel and Leah was not my favorite of the books, but I think that is because it was a setup book. Now that I have these interesting characters, I want to see how the rest plays out. [Smile] But I would rather it be well written rather than quickly done. But definetely looking forward to it.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son Of Kerensky
Member # 9233

- posted      Profile for Son Of Kerensky   Email Son Of Kerensky         Edit/Delete Post 
Patience is a virtue and in the case of well written books I am definately willing to wait. I originally bought Sarah for my mother and oddly enough I ended up reading it before her since she 'was too busy' though later I got her to sit down and read it and she devoured it in a week lol
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to know what happens, you could always read the Bible.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bible? Blasphemous!
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown mind reader
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for unknown mind reader   Email unknown mind reader         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're reading this Orson I was curious. What's up with the books you wrote before and after the Ender/Bean series? All that emotion was lost.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
unknown, if you're reading this, I'm curious. Why are you being a jerk?

Any author knows that some people will like all his books, some people will like some of his books, and some people will like none of his books. Do you think he needs people from the second category coming up and waving their opinion in his face, like he's supposed to be able to do something about it?

Personally, my favorite books of his were written either before or after the Ender series. No "emotion" was lost from those books. I suspect that in your case, the emotion was probably lost from the reader.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now. Isn't it possible unknown mind reader was trying to be funny?

My most emotional books are actually Lost Boys, Saints, and Enchantment. Nothing in EG/Shadow comes near the emotional demands of Lost Boys. But those books are avoided by readers who are looking for a certain kind of fiction ... and that's not a problem for me. Each book finds its own audience. Presumably, the people who DO like a particular book will know other people who share some of their worldview, and thus they will help the books find readers.

Then again, a lot of books fall through the cracks. If the BBC had not done a brilliant Martin Chuzzlewit, starring the not-late-after-all Paul Scofield, would I EVER have read the book? Not a chance. And yet it's now one of my favorite Dickens novels. Or maybe it's just new, and so I especially like it now <grin>. Who knows?

We also love different books at different times of my life. EG has been out long enough now that I've had a chance to hear from people who tell me they liked EG when they were in their teens, and hated Speaker; but now, as grownups, it's Speaker they love, while EG is more of a pleasant memory of childhood. (Not that I think of EG that way - I think of EG as an adult novel that some kids happen to like.)

It's all taste. But ... if you don't feel emotion reading a book by an author who is known to be an emotion-spigot, maybe it's your response, not the author's talent or technique, that is causing your difference in response.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suppose that being a tremendous, one might even say "undeserved" (if you go by seniority or whatever, not that I do) or overnight success makes perspective difficult in your line of work OSC. Or in any I suppose...

What I mean is that since you cranked out a winner at a really early age... Your lucky, and smart. The rest of your career is now "the other works." That sucks, but its also the price you pay isn't it? You wouldn't give that up, probably not for anything.

I imagine this is why all the great romantics died so young. The age encouraged it, remembered them for it (that's why its romantic after all). Like shubert or Mozart, who as a child attained levels of greatness unprecedented by history, and died before he got a chance to squander his fame by being eccentric. Then there are your Beethovens and Schumanns, ghastly creatures who hated the world and died of bitterness, cold and alone, because their great works were behind them, and the world wasn't really ready for their deepest thoughts. These men couldn't kill themselves fast enough, either directly or with prostitutes and alchohol.

All in all I'd say your career looks pretty healthy against that yardstick... Its good to have something not yet accomplished in your life. [Wink]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.