FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » ????????????

Author Topic: ????????????
Ender12
Member # 8873

- posted      Profile for Ender12   Email Ender12         Edit/Delete Post 
I come to this forum often and have read and enjoyed the topics that are discussed here and i thought to start a thread that tells a little more about the people that are active in most topics. So, if you would like to leave a comment about yourself that would be awesome! I live in California and i am a 19 year old male. I am currently a full time student at American River College and i work part time at grocery store called BelAir. I would like to finish my gen. ed. and go off to college, preferably somewhere along the coast where i can have the time of my life and get a good education(as well as get the hell out of sacramento, haha).
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, thats called a landmark thread. (I think).

And you should probably have this thread on the other side of the river. (books, and stuff).

You can read about most of the old timers here by looking up the archive of landmark threads. Mine is still new enough that its on page two of books, film, and culture.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would he/she post it on the other side if he/she is interested in the people who post on this side?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, because it's too much trouble to build a boat and cross the Hatrack. What's the point in chopping down those poor trees just for that when we can simply answer him in here?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
but isnt that also what the new member post here thread is for?
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's for new members to introduce themselves to hatrack. That's all.

This side of the River is for Discussions About OSC. That's all. This topic doesn't fit into that. Neither does the All New Members thread for that matter.

The Books and Stuff side is for everything else (unless it's writing related and you think the Writers Workshop, with no-one but writers, would be more useful). It's labeled as such, and we follow the appropriate labels so as to be able to find topics quicker. Likewise, you don't go to a programmers forum to discuss your favourite movie.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Ender12. [Smile] A NorCallian, hmm?

I'm a SoCallian. I guess that makes us neighbors. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter, rivka. You'll all be swimming in the sea, soon.

What will your neighborliness do for you THEN, hmm?

The Implaccable Engine of Ultimate Destruction nears completion.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hush, you. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's labeled as such, and we follow the appropriate labels so as to be able to find topics quicker.
Since when? [Wink]

Anything can be posted on either side. The only difference is who is going to see it, and how quickly.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
quote:
It's labeled as such, and we follow the appropriate labels so as to be able to find topics quicker.
Since when? [Wink]

Anything can be posted on either side. The only difference is who is going to see it, and how quickly.

I was referring to what it's for and how we should be using them, not some unwritten law.

As for my use of the word "we", I was referring to The Secret Council of the Imaginary Perfect Ones (SCIPO). [Wink]

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it so bad that if it crossed the river more people would read it? Its not like there are still people who only cling to this side of the river.

Okay I did that when I started, but come on! Its no fun to be on this side all of the time, especially after seeing how long it takes before anyone posts anything on this side of the river.

And besides, all of the really fun stuff happens on the other side of the river. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome to Hatrack! Ignore these nitpicking which side is whichers because every newb starts on this side of the river because in the beggining the other side is scary. THen slowly you come to love the other side and this side moves toooo freakin slow for ya so go figure. Cheers!
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Actually, I thought the newcomers (isn't that just such a nicer word?) come to this side first because they're fans of OSC.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender12, welcome to the forums! We have a tradtion here of creating threads called "landmarks" in which the thread starter posts the kind of information you're looking for about themselves. Not everyone has created one, of course, but many active forum members have. If you'd like to puruse the landmarks that have been archived, you can do so here.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Let go of the life raft newbies! The other side of the river is where the Par-tay is at!
[Party] [Party]

Ender12
Member # 8873

Haha! Well as you can tell I am fairly new and I only look on this forum so I thought to ask and find out a lil bit about you guys.

cheiros do ender, as for this thread not belonging here I don't see why it shouldn't. I just thought to ask and learn about you guys so I have a better idea of who is talking.

Now, come on, we have one person who somewhat answered my original question. Of course if you don't like the thread or you don't want to reveal more about yourself dont leave a comment.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Fine then. (newbie)

I am a college student minoring in bussiness and majoring in psychology. I live in New Mexico and work at a local gym.

Happy now newb?

Ender12
Member # 8873

the "newbie" is soooo very pleased!
Ender12
Member # 8873

by the way, the other side of the river seems very interesting... but how do you keep up with the posts!?
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender12:
I would like to finish my gen. ed. and go off to college, preferably somewhere along the coast where i can have the time of my life and get a good education(as well as get the hell out of sacramento, haha).

Ha! I just moved into the Sacramento area (Folsom to be precise). If you have the grades, apply for Stanford (it's the Harvard of the west [Wink] ). Actually, when it comes to having a large selection of quality universities, nothing beats California.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

as long as i get out of SAC ill be good! i actually live in Carmichael, ten minutes from folsom.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

It's not all that hard. If you just sign on maybe twice a day.

But you should join us over on the other side. We have dating games, TV/movie threads, and even a cyber bar/restaraunt (run by me).

So come on over.

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But how do you keep up with the posts!?
It's not nearly as scary as it first appears. At least, it was pretty darn scary for me the first few times I poked my head in. You get used to it, like you do anything.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
How very true....

Slowly the addiction grows and you find your self signing on all the time just to see if somebody posted something new. Then you know you are truly hooked on Hatcrack.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

i think i have tripled my addiction in just this one day!LOL

the other side doesnt look all that monstrous i just have to sign on regularly like you said advent. which is the hard part! [Mad]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Myeh, its too much work to post 1000 times for a landmark. I prefer just to talk about myself at any oppurtune moment.

I'm hot, 5'10, married to another poster, in New England, and gosh darn it, I don't fit in a handbag.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
i prefer this side of the river myself, but then again i can't get on all that much and when i do most topics here hae been posted on. tis enough for me! simplicity is my friend! [Big Grin] and for the matter of being addicted i am a perfect model for being addicted. just not to both forums. as i figure it this is sorta like my home away from home. i mean they do say why fix something if it is not broken, and i am completely happy staying on this side of the river.( starts singing the seaweed is always greener in somebody elses lake, you dream about going up there but that is a big mistake) [ROFL] sorry couldn't help myself
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

as far as a landmark thread goes well for me i have a long way to go this only makes my 19th post but then again ya cant expect much more seeing as how I can't wrangle much time on here when ya have a husband who does his business on the thing
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

I've already worked out the only three (special) occasions I'll be making landmarks on here for, and I'd say each has about a 1/1000 chance of being at a square thousand. [Smile]
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
is it against the rules to do a landmark thread for 100 posts? yeah, i'm impatient. and addicted. all day at work i just sit here and hit refresh on the main page of the forum over and over again, waiting for someone to post.

as for the other side, most of the threads have soo many posts in them already, i don't feel like reading through them all just to post my own. so this side is fine by me.

and cyber cafes.... really? why not sit in a real cafe and talk about something real, like whether or not Bean might be related to Pipo or something.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no hard and fast rules about it at all. Many people wait until they're better known to the people who will be reading their landmark, but there's nothing that says that you have to. I think that there have been a couple of landmarks written by people with ~100 posts under their belt, so you wouldn't be the first to do so.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
no, i'll prolly wait until i have at least 500. i don't think anyone wants to know too much about me anyways.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
I don't fit in a handbag.

You're not trying hard enough.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't fit in a handbag.
Well, you don't NOW. You did when you were a baby.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Myeh, its too much work to post 1000 times for a landmark.

*looks pointedly at T_Smith's post count*
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

quote:
Originally posted by Ender12:
i think i have tripled my addiction in just this one day!LOL

the other side doesnt look all that monstrous i just have to sign on regularly like you said advent. which is the hard part! [Mad]

Don't get angry at me. Its not my fault you can't sign on twice a day.
Ender12
Member # 8873

when did I say that I was mad at you? I was only stating that it's hard to sign on frequently. Well, the only factors that really seem to take my time away from here are the constant attention women need [Smile] and school!
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Lol, it's actually men that need constant attention. [Wink]

And Advent, if you'd read it properly, you'd've realised he wasn't getting angry at you at all.

Ender12
Member # 8873

cheiros, i thought you were a male! go figure!
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

I am a male. [Roll Eyes]
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Take my advice, JUST SWIM! I prefer this side of the river but I do occasionally cross it. I might check out Advent's bar over there...
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

ok, I wasn't wrong but now I am confused... oh well.

I do go over to the other side, at least enough to keep up with a few topics. That side is starting to gain more of my interest.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

YES! That is one of the best reasons to swim across to the other side! My bar is so popular that it has reached 21 pages in only a month (tell me, how long does it take for a thread on this side to reach those kind of numbers nowadays?)

And sorry for misunderstanding, he just sounded so angry that I thought he was directing at me for suggesting he sign on more often.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Advent, do you have a drink after Bean or Peter or Petra?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Working on some new drinks currently (actually trying to make new ones whenever I have spare time. Or trying to make new non-alcoholic cyber drinks or food menu for the Resort).
Ender12
Member # 8873

i like how threads dont stay on topic for very long! haha

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.