FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Humans: A Failure? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Humans: A Failure?
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
For like the tenth time, race does not equal species or sub-species in the context of ethnicity. The lines I quoted above explain it as clearly as I can imagine, so I'll repeat them:

quote:
The term race distinguishes a population of humans from other populations
I don't know how much you know about ecology, but the term "population" refers to a group of organisms within the same species. Thus, there is no need to actually use the word "species", but that's what it means.

quote:
The most widely used human racial categories are based on visible traits (especially skin color and facial features)
And I remind you that this is from the source that you referred me to.

Now let me refer you to yet another source defining race" http://www.answers.com/topic/race-1
In particular take note of the first 4 definitions, and also note that they are held separate from the fifth definition; the biological one which is the only one that you acknowledge. As I've been saying, the word has different meanings in different contexts, but they are all valid. We all know that by the 5th definition there is only one human race, but by the others, humans can be divided into different racial groups.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
but by the others, humans can be divided into different racial groups.

Im sorry but youll never convince me that there is more than one race of humans kicking around no matter how you say the word is being used in context. If you are refering to them as populations thats fine, if it helps you to transfer the word race to mean population ok, but the text goes on to say that while it may help average joe understand the concept it is an in accurate word

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, whatever. I know that we both understand that a human is human, regardless of the colour of his/her skin, or the shape of his/her eyes or nose, etc. We're really just quibbling over semantics.

...But I'm still right, by the way, so [Razz]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
If its semantics then were both technically right but cant agree on the definition but seeing as my definition is right i respond with a dignified [Razz]
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*
It seems to me, Ta-Kumsaw, that you've persisted just for the sake of arguing.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

Im not an Native Tribal Leader, my name hails from the glorius battle fields that was War Craft Frozen Throne, leader of the Orcish Horde!

and im only persisting because I hate the word race ... so sue me.... but just like the bad guys from lethal weapon 2 ive got diplomatic immunity so Jimbo you cant sue! OH oH OH oH Cant Touch This - HAMMERTIME!

Alon
Member # 9282

- posted      Profile for Alon   Email Alon         Edit/Delete Post 
my philosophy on racism at the moment is that we are all human. This makes all of us want power. Some gain power by beating others down. This brings out racism. Everyone must be racist towards a point.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.