FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Best Book

Author Topic: Best Book
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think is the best book ever? It doesn't have to be OSC's.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
any calvin and hobbes book
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
Soa - too intellectual for me [Smile]

Mine are: Ender's Game and the Lord of the Rings. Maybe not very original, but they are my most beloved books, and most important to me.
But are they the BEST? Hard to measure that [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin and Hobbes? Man, those were so funny!

LOTR is on my list of books to read. I can't wait to get to it, LOL.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't jave any best books but some of my top one include EG
also the Windsinger was good.
BAsically any book that makes me think goes on the list
yet the top ones are the ones that touch me
sometimes make me cry but not always
but in my eyes there is no such thing as a best book

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
whole earthsea saga by ursula le guin. id say
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

Hmmm, I loved the first part, liked the second, the third was ok, the last was more like a sketch of a book than a book itself.

Jeesh: get to it, GET to it as soon as you can! [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the book "Owen Meany" from John Irving. I've read it seven or eight times by now, and the end makes me cry everytime I do. [Cry]
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The Runelords by David Farland
Dragonlance Chronicles by Weis and Hickman

My "favorite" books.

("best" can't really apply to everyone now, can it?)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnplaystuba
Member # 8792

- posted      Profile for johnplaystuba   Email johnplaystuba         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner and "1984" by Orwelle.

Between the curling flower spaces. Beautiful.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game is probably the book I most enjoy reading, but overall, The Lord of the Rings is just such an amazing accomplishment that it has to take the cake. Dune deserves a mention as well.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

I also like books by Pearl S. Buck (she wrote about nineteenth century China). I don't read much of them, but they are extremely insightful as to showing the characters' psychic, and they tell us about getting mature. Her books are definitely food for thought.
Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

- posted      Profile for Leia Atreides   Email Leia Atreides         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be biased and tell my guess. Frank Herbert's Dune.

And if not *ever*, then at least best book of 20th century. (yes, you might not believe me, but I read non SF too. And the fact that FH is most known for SF writing of his and that Dune is also on my "most favourite" list doesn't invaluate anything)

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter_The_Great
Member # 9212

- posted      Profile for Peter_The_Great   Email Peter_The_Great         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune def. deserves mentioning (as does anything by OSC in my view). LOTR were truly an epic. hmmm, the best book would have to be a book that stayed with me forever, whether I re-read it or not (and I would). The ender quartet does it for me there, I have read CotM many times (the whole quartet, I always start from the beggining) and each time I walk away from it with something completely different and moving. That is what makes a great book my friends, the ability to read and re-read it and come away with something different. I can't wait till the shadow series and the quartet are intertwined, it is a daring and ambitiouse project, but if anyone can pull it off its OSC (I have faith in you man)
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dune def. deserves mentioning (as does anything by OSC in my view).
Are you saying that OSC wrote Dune or that Dune deserves mentioning, in addition to all of OSC's books? It sounded like the former to me at first.

Some of my favorite books (couldn't limit it to one) are:

Second Foundation, by Isaac Asimov
Citizen of the Galaxy, by Robert Heinlein
And an anthology I have from Philip K Dick

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
And OSC? Do you happen to know his most favorite book?
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forensicgeek
Member # 8430

- posted      Profile for forensicgeek           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that one of my favorites is Piers Anthony's "Race Against Time". It is very thought provoking and I've read it many times. Then of course Ender's Game, which I've also read a lot. To me that is a mark of an excellent book. You can read it several times and never get tired of it, and you always learn something new everytime you read it.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

- posted      Profile for Leia Atreides   Email Leia Atreides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
quote:
Dune def. deserves mentioning (as does anything by OSC in my view).
Are you saying that OSC wrote Dune or that Dune deserves mentioning, in addition to all of OSC's books? It sounded like the former to me at first.

I thought he meant that Dune by Herbert definitely deserves mentioning, as well as anything by OSC deserves. Maybe not in addition, maybe the two authors that deserve mentioning are clearly "separated" in his mind, though he had the want to mention them both.

But I may have interpreted it wrong way.

Leia

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

Oh, I also think Foundation books are excellent, as well as mister Dick's and mister Heinlein's books are. (by Dick, I loved everything the same. By Heinlein, I didn't read much, and am in process of reading yet) But I thought this thread is about best books... and even making decision is hard in this case, I think I already decided. [Smile]

To all guys whose books weren't mentioned in my original post, don't worry, I send you biig chocolate cake.

And if I can't send it due to the author being on the other side, well... then I hope I find Jane and she figures some way to send it to our long-dead friends.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.