FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Munich, for OSC

Author Topic: Munich, for OSC
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I agreed with much of OSCs column about the Oscars, but not his comment about Munich.

I have not seen Munich and will not comment on its quality. But Steven Spielberg is Jewish, and it seems unlikely to me that he defending the view that "all terrorist acts by Muslims are justified as long as they're killing Jews." First of all, I have never personally known anyone, including my friends who are Marxists and my Palestinian Muslim friend, who has ever been anything less than horrified by acts of violence committed by Hammas and other terrorist organizations. Secondly, I suspect that Spielberg was trying to make his characters seem realistic and allow the audience to understand them, even if they do not approve, something which OSC does well himself, as do all talented artists.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 8821

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB         Edit/Delete Post 
We're already talkin' about this on the "Oscars" thread.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I wanted to see if there was the slightest possibilty of OSC responding to this one. Does it count as baiting if I am nice about it?
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know if he actually watched the movie. The purpose of the movie was to show the damage committing acts of violence, even "righteous" acts, does to one's soul. As a human rights activists, I am tired of everyone saying I support terrorists just because I believe they should have a fair trial and be treated humanely. I believe violence leads to more violence and someone needs to break that cycle. That was the message I saw in Munich. If you respond with violence, it damages your soul.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no knowledge about this particular instance, but in the past, OSC has had little problem with reviewing (and trashing) movies he hasn't seen.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Review of the movie and it's anti-semitic over/undertones:

Charles Krauthammer

Krauthammer's arguments make me wonder if there's a difference between being anti-Semitic and anti-Israel. I think so, but it's not a topic I've explored in great depth.

A different take reaching the conclusion that Munich was too muddled and dishonest to be taken seriously.

A "hawkish" Jewish POV.

So OSC's not alone in his dislike for Munich.

quote:
The purpose of the movie was to show the damage committing acts of violence, even "righteous" acts, does to one's soul
Except, as pointed out on the other (Oscars) thread, and in the second linked article, the Israeli assassins didn't feel that any damage was done to their souls. This dishonesty in the face of historical fact (again, the second link purports that the conviction of the Israeli assassins is well documented) is why Spielburg and Kushner (who wrote the script, and according to the third link, directed dialogue) are being accused of forwarding an agenda that is at least, anti-Israel.

Not that Israel doesn't have a lot to answer for. Assassination is sentencing without trial; I don't know that such a thing can be justified.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I am no supporting assassination but when you cannot place one on trial, what do you do?

shake your finger at them?

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't you place them on trial? If they are so well protected that you cannot arrest them or use diplomatic measures to get at them, then chances of assassination are low (not impossible as assassinating someone is much easier than arresting). So, I would argue that pursuing those measures vigorously would be the best response.
While the movie may not be accurate, I would still argue that its purpose is not to say terrorism is ok, just that certain responses to terrorism are wrong.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Scott, one can certainly be horrified at the actions of Israel without being even anti-Israeli, as evidenced by the Israeli Labour Party, and other Israeli groups who oppose the more egregious violations of human rights by the IDF, in violation both of international law and The IDF Purity of Arms Code.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Post Scriptum, B'Tselem is an Israeli group that provides perhaps a better example than the Labour party.
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, guys! Spielberg anti-semitic?

Good Grief!

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Spielberg is (after Kubrick) probably the greatest director of our times!

BTW, if you wonder why I always do double posts...

My mind is bipolar.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think the film was anti-semitic. I do think the film was made in such a way that it clearly changed historical events, and that's bad.

I don't mind films that take "liberties" with history by adding context (ie, dialog for Abraham Lincoln) but I do mind films based on history that change what happened.

Imagine this: I'll do a history film, except in it, Japan doesn't really want to attack Pearl Harbor, and they are paid big money under the counter by a US military company to do it. Sure, it has no basis in reality, but I mix it into a film and I influence people with it.

So, you can add nuance to history, but you cannot change the fundamental events without altering it in such a way as to make the outcome worthless.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Kaczmarczyk:
Spielberg is (after Kubrick) probably the greatest director of our times!

*choke*

*spit*

um.

Okay.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate Speilberg a good deal. I think he is often seen as less then he is.

However, just off the top of my head:

Hitchcock
Orson Welles
Peckinpah
Francis Ford Coppola

Amongst a few I'd put up there just a little bit better [Smile]

I'm debating adding Robert Wise to that list. I think he too is also severely under-appreciated.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
The Munich TV Spot's music was from the computer game Uru: Ages Beyond Myst.

Just throwing that out there.

TV Spot found here: http://media.themoviebox.net/db/0008.php

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.