FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Pastwatch and Virgin Soils Revisited

Author Topic: Pastwatch and Virgin Soils Revisited
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
While reviewing an article for my forthcoming exams, I found an interesting citation of Pastwatch. This is one of my favorite of Orson Scott Card's works, and one that does not get as much attention as I believe it deserves. So I was happy to see this citation.

The article is "Virgin Soils Revisited" by David S. Jones. It was published in the 2003 William and Mary Quarterly, one of the premier academic journals for the study of American history. In the article, Jones argues that historians have grossly overstated the "weakness" of Native American populations towards Old World germs. Rather, the devastating losses were caused by a combination of environmental factors, poverty, malnutrition, dislocation, and social disruption.

Towards the end of the article, Jones comments that "Only a time traveler equipped with a supply of vaccines could have altered the demographic outcomes." When I saw this, I thought immediately--hey that is just what happens in Pastwatch! So I checked the endnote, and sure enough he refers directly to it, "This story of science fiction has been told in Orson Scott Card, Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus (New York, 1996)"

So, should I recommend Pastwatch to the professor I’m TAing for, who has spent most of the quarter in our World History survey explaining “how Mesoamerica was really more advanced then the rest of the world?”

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. You should recommend Pastwatch to everyone.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I get to the bookstore I'm buying Pastwatch for my Sociology professor, who is very interested in anthropology, particularly North American anthropology. And he's into alternate futures. And science-fiction reading in general.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that agreement
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.