FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » It's a Silent "t" on the End of "Trait"!!! No? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's a Silent "t" on the End of "Trait"!!! No?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce it "tray". I used to pronounce it "trait" at first, then my father told me it's French - i.e., silent last consonant.

But some pronounce it "trait", from what I heard (it pronounced). (Half the words I know come from reading, so I wouldn't know too much before reading it.)

How do you pronounce it, and why?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the t is pronounced, as trait comes from Old French via Middle English, not from modern French. But I am not an expert on Linguistics.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In English, the "t" is pronounced.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet the OED mentions it pronounced "trei", US - "treit" (macrons on the "e"s).
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I said "English," not "snob."

Ask yourself how many English-speakers, even in England, pronounce the word "theatre" "tay-ah-truh." It's a pretty small number, and they're all jerks.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

So all those who spell the plural of "plateau" with an "x" and all those who say "antennae" also fall under that category?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Not ALL of them, but certainly the ones who call attention to it.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Quoth he the one who penance did and penance more will do: "and they're all jerks".
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Actualy, antennæ is, in English, only correct for those on beatles and such. For man made objects, it's antennas.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Right. Anyone who pronounces "theatre" "tay-ah-truh" and claims to be speaking English is a jerk. Almost but not quite everyone who spells it "plateaux" is a jerk.
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard anyone pronounce Trait purposely without the T, but we told my little sister that there was a silent z in Ohau, when she kept asking over and over how to spell it.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Yet the OED mentions it pronounced "trei", US - "treit" (macrons on the "e"s).

That's not what the OED online says; it has trei, treit and does not specify whether they are British or American. It also has the note "The pronunciation (trei), after mod. French, in the 19th c. considered in England the correct one, is becoming less general; in U.S. (treit) is the established one."

The real question is, why is this in the Discussions About Orson Scott Card forum? [Razz]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
what? the beatles have antennaes?!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

The OED I have at home states that. So what if it's from 1953? [Razz]

Because I always get the wrong side... Don't you know? This must be thefourth thread in a row.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

The OED I have at home states that. So what if it's from 1953? [Razz]

Because I always get the wrong side... Don't you know? This must be the fourth thread in a row.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
what? the beatles have antennaes?!
Gollum! Antennaeses (or, being TomJerks - Antennaesen).
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
In English, word-final /t/ is always pronounced, even if it loses some emphasis. 'Trait' may have originated from French, but we acclimated it to our repetoire of sounds over time, which is why we pronounce the last letter (just like how we say PariS not Pari).

Pronouncing theater as "The-A-tuh" is what iis called Hypercorrection which basically translates to sounding snooty and being well aware of it.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Actually, hypercorrection is when you take a rule and apply it in situations where it doesn't belong in an effort to sound correct.

Hyperforeignization means pronouncing something more foreign than the foreigners do and being unaware of it.

Edited for correctness.

[ March 17, 2006, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
With me, anyway, whether or not the final "t" in "trait" is actually pronounced depends on whether or not the word is followed by anything else. If it is, I pronounce it. If it isn't, I don't release it, and my tongue lingers on my alveolar ridge.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Isn't "trait" like "ballet"?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Not in any sense I can think of.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather like 'bait.' Or 'gait' or 'wait,' even.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actualy, antennæ is, in English, only correct for those on beatles and such.
I was going to try to find a picture of the silly hat that Paul wore when he played Pyramus, but I don't have time. So, take a moment to imagine. Please. For me.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an aside, in England, they pronounce the final T on "filet", too.

Which sounds very weird when someone in McDonalds orders a "fillett-o-fish" sandwich.

I asked why, and my English roommates said "fil-ay" is french, not english. Then they proceeded to call snow peas "mange tout".

Language is bizarre.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I said "English," not "snob."

Ask yourself how many English-speakers, even in England, pronounce the word "theatre" "tay-ah-truh." It's a pretty small number, and they're all jerks.

I quipped in class the other day, in response to somebody correcting a fellow student on the pronunciation of "Cornet," as Cor-neh: If we pronounced every borrowed word in its original form, we'd surely sound like total idiots "did he hear about the tsunami! (in a bad japanese accent)
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Just as an aside, in England, they pronounce the final T on "filet", too.

Here I think the original pronunciation is retained. I've never heard anyone say fil-let. Often original pronunciacions are retained for clarity or ease of use. Filet with a "t" is awkward, and too close to that other less appropriate english word "Filate" (sp?)
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
With me, anyway, whether or not the final "t" in "trait" is actually pronounced depends on whether or not the word is followed by anything else. If it is, I pronounce it. If it isn't, I don't release it, and my tongue lingers on my alveolar ridge.

WHAT???? So your talking about animals and someone says yes well look at those hairs on the snout and you say "Why, I never noticed that trai---"

The person your talking to looks around for a cafeteria and concludes that your completely bonkers.

HELLO EVERYONE???? If you pronounce "Trait" as "Tray", then how do you pronounce "TRAY"

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
HELLO EVERYONE???? If you pronounce "Trait" as "Tray", then how do you pronounce "TRAY"
Tray.
Noemon
Member # 1115

::sigh::

There is a difference between not releasing a consonant and not pronouncing it at all. My pronunciation of "trait" and "tray" are fairly distinct from one another. Even if they weren't, though, so what? Have you never heard of homophones?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, I think it's the difference (broadly speaking) between "trait" with the final "t" just a clip off of the "tray" (i.e., the sound finishes instead of lingers) and "trait" with a fully pronounced final "t", more like "tray-tah".
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The typical American pronunciation of trait is /ʈɹeɪt̚/ (the diacritic on the final /t/ shows that the stop is unreleased), while tray is /ʈɹeɪ/. The (apparent) British pronunciation of trait is also /ʈɹeɪ/. It's a confusing world we live in.
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
I like living in the Midwest. We have very little in the way of an accent (we pronounce wash 'warsh' for some-unknown-to-god-reason and occasionally try (badly) to speak in ebonics), so we don't have to deal with crazy Brits who leave the 't' off of trait.

Still, I wonder. How do the Aussies pronounce it? After all, the Australian accent is cool enough that we should ALL model our English after theirs. Just a thought.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
The typical American pronunciation of trait is /ʈɹeɪt̚/ (the diacritic on the final /t/ shows that the stop is unreleased), while tray is /ʈɹeɪ/. The (apparent) British pronunciation of trait is also /ʈɹeɪ/. It's a confusing world we live in.

You are not helping it get any less confusing, Jon Boy.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Jimbo, everyone has an accent, including people from the midwest.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Orincoro, I think it's the difference (broadly speaking) between "trait" with the final "t" just a clip off of the "tray" (i.e., the sound finishes instead of lingers) and "trait" with a fully pronounced final "t", more like "tray-tah".

ah feel the powah, and the hand-uh, of fate-uh

CAN I GET AN AMEN???

If you recogniizzze this trait-uh in yo-selfuh, speak it out ya'll

This is ridiculous, if JH had meant "trait" was trait and not trat-uh, then he assuming people go around saying trait-UH? I don't think so.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Jimbo, everyone has an accent, including people from the midwest.

Then why do the brits refer to American coastal English as non-accented. I've lived in London, and been told they don't think of American english as having a particular accent, but rather that they have an accent and we don't. Its wierd, but this is what I've heard.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
If you recogniizzze this trait-uh in yo-selfuh, speak it out ya'll

This is ridiculous, if JH had meant "trait" was trait and not trat-uh, then he assuming people go around saying trait-UH? I don't think so.

Ah. Seems we are talking at cross purposes. My apologies. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't really know what you were trying to say to CT, Orinoco. It came off as snarky, which I think was intended (although maybe not--I can't see anything that she said that would provoke someone to act like that toward her), but beyond that it's a bit muddled.

As for the British people you spoke with believing that Americans don't have an accent, I have no idea why they'd think that. They're wrong though.

JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
It's either Eddie Murphy or Arsenio Hall, but I forget who played which parts.

Am I right? Am I close?

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
I don't really know what you were trying to say to CT, Orinoco. It came off as snarky, which I think was intended (although maybe not--I can't see anything that she said that would provoke someone to act like that toward her), but beyond that it's a bit muddled.

Not being snarky, that's just my sense of humor. Don't worry. [Group Hug]
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Glad to hear it!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:

You are not helping it get any less confusing, Jon Boy.
It's not my fault you don't know IPA transcription. [Razz]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Then why do the brits refer to American coastal English as non-accented. I've lived in London, and been told they don't think of American english as having a particular accent, but rather that they have an accent and we don't. Its wierd, but this is what I've heard.

I've never heard that before, and I'm inclined to disbelieve it. And even if they really think that, it doesn't mean that it's true. An accent is "a way of speaking typical of a particular group of people and especially of the natives or residents of a region" (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary). Since everyone who speaks has a way of speaking, everyone has an accent.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:

I've never heard that before, and I'm inclined to disbelieve it. And even if they really think that, it doesn't mean that it's true. An accent is "a way of speaking typical of a particular group of people and especially of the natives or residents of a region" (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary). Since everyone who speaks has a way of speaking, everyone has an accent.
Why does everybody in these word threads wip out the websters or the IPA and force everybody to read the quotation?

When I was in London, it wasn't as if we all sat around in the cafes with a nice cozy, heavy webster's 5th edition in our laps discussing the entries on "perspicacity." I'm repeating what people told me, and I suspect if i'd turned around on them with the dictionary reference, I wouldn't have had a very good time. Sheesh. [Roll Eyes]

Noemon
Member # 1115

::nods:: It's terrible how some people let facts get in the way of a perfectly good opinion, isn't it?
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
was it H.S. Thompson who said "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Why does everybody in these word threads wip out the websters or the IPA and force everybody to read the quotation?

Perhaps it's because dictionaries are a good way to understand words. If you think that some people don't have accents, then you clearly don't know what accents really are.

Plus, it's not exactly like I taped your eyelids open and forced you to read it at gunpoint.

Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not my fault you don't know IPA transcription.
In so many ways the world would be much easier if we all wrote in IPA (except for the obvious Latinized bias), but anyway, at the least it would make English MUCH easier to learn.

And that's really weird that they show the initial t as retroflex, which I don't hear, and I think emphasizes Orinoco's point as the best judge of proper pronounciation is fellow native speakers of your particular accent, not a dictionary composed and edited by academic elites.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I was the one who showed the /t/ as retroflex, not the dictionary.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
::nods:: It's terrible how some people let facts get in the way of a perfectly good opinion, isn't it?

Obviously my point wasn't well taken, again.

I wasn't really interested in "the facts" whatever they are. Just relaying an interesting anecdote, which I am in fact sure no-one will buy, because I really didn't buy it either. This reminds me of when your telling a story in which someone mispronounces a word or makes some other logical error and the person (bless them) who your talking to stops you to "correct" the story. Then the story is ruined and in the course of explaining it you feel like a moron, and the person looks at you in a bland tone of voice and says: "oh that's nice, I guess you had to be there" [Grumble]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.