FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » V for Vendetta

Author Topic: V for Vendetta
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
So who has seen this? Thoughts? I saw it as a free showing on my campus amazingly enough - I actually enjoyed it and aside from a few comments on the script I thought it was a good movie.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the discussion on the Other Side. I thought it was a great movie. It appealed to the parts of me that I think are the coolest, therefore I think it was a really really cool movie.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only thing I didn't appreciate in the movie was the bit of gore right towards the end. To me at least that whole fight scene and in particular the gore, seemed out of place and unnecessary...

Other than that, though I thought the movie was very interesting and worthy of a good discussion and a lot of thought. Though I'm definately a sucker for any movie that makes you think.

Also: watching it on IMAX is kinda crazy. The Chancellor's bad teeth were about the size of small children.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Punjabee are u the real Punjabee MC or r u just a wannabe? If u r him I LOVE U MAN! plutonically of cource
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAskIndiana
Member # 9268

- posted      Profile for JustAskIndiana           Edit/Delete Post 
haha
Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnplaystuba
Member # 8792

- posted      Profile for johnplaystuba   Email johnplaystuba         Edit/Delete Post 
i thought the best part was the benny hill throwback that the large tv exec puts on right before he gets bagged. I was like to die with laughter when the little chase scene went on with the gorilla and whatnot.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching it in a few hours. I'll let you know.
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was probably the best movie ive seen all year. Its funny that a movie would use scare tactics about a govt that would rule through sheer fear. Best line "No such thing as coinincidence only the illusion of coinincidence and how he bases all these coinincidences on one thing
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
No, just a different PUNJABEE.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah grimace, the IMAX showing was intense. trying to read the headlines on the newspapers nearly gave me whiplash.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

No, just a different PUNJABEE.

Thats ok man still a well respected name

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that you could consider some of the below spoilers so...

*!*!*!*!*!SPOILER*!*!*!*!*!*

I saw this the other day and I feel this might just be the best movie I have ever seen.

Honestly, the coordination of a philosophical and action movie blew me away. The political climate is very realistic, simply because that type of climate has occured before and may very well occur again. The combination with a solid background to all of the characters made me connect with them, and I could empathize with the actions of the main character. The action as well was not overdone, it was well-placed with the music (Ah! The Music!), and the one-on-one action was very simple and effective.

The movie never slowed down for me, and the only point that came close to dragging out immediately gave you insight to the history of the main character and the history of that world.

I could go on further but you will simply have to go see it yourself!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I read on IMDB so many people that hate this film - why do you think that?
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Because we are all D** LIBERAL CHRISTIAN HATERS!!!

WE NEED TO STOP ATTACKING BUSH AND AMERICA

WE ARE ALL COMMUNISTS!!!

Not really, but that is what they said. I personally think that if they see such a similarity between the regime in V for Vendetta and their views of America that there is something extremely wrong.

I dont think that Bush's administration is near the magnitude of that in V, but maybe it is a stepping stone towards that. I am not making any judgements, but maybe it is...

I found it excellent, but I must admit it is harsh on totalitarianism, fascism, the control of media, government corruption, and corruption in general. I found it to be the most startlingly prophetic view of a future government I have seen in a long time, it is heir apparent (to me) of 1984, and Animal Farm. I don't necessarily believe that that is where government will go, but it is a possibility, especially with some of the goings ons today.

I would recommend seeing it, I found it to be truly magnificent, but dont take my word for it, in fact, completely forget all I have written here, so that you have a completely unadulterated experience. Then, you should come back to here and post your thoughts on it.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie, kids.

Bear. We are all there already. You just don't notice because you are not important enough for them.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Singleton
Member # 9338

- posted      Profile for Adam Singleton   Email Adam Singleton         Edit/Delete Post 
V is an amazing movie but it wasn't portrayed the way the original writer wanted it to be portrayed. the comic book is so much better than the movie that it almost hurt.... anyway, read the comic.

the last two things that went to theaters that Alan Moore wrote he has taken his name off of completely because they butcher his stories to make them better fit the silver screen. to give you an idea, his last work that went to theaters was "the league of extraordinary gentlemen" .... enough said

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whoelse10
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for whoelse10   Email whoelse10         Edit/Delete Post 
of course, the comic was better than the movie...

When the book you are reading becomes a movie, the book is better than a movie all the time. Plus I am hoping for a really good Ender's Game movie, maybe it will be better than the book, or maybe equal... only time can tell....

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

- posted      Profile for ElaRibeira   Email ElaRibeira         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a good action film, but I was slightly disturbed by the glorification of terrorism as a tool for liberty. A little Machiavellan for my tastes.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

If that was a little to machiavellian for your taste, you haven't seen nothing yet.
RunningBear
Member # 8477

it was not terrorism. altleast not in the modern sense, he was not using fear to gain power, he was using the people to regain their power.

the government in the movie called him a terrorist in an attempt to weaken him.

Sage Zander
Member # 9344

- posted      Profile for Sage Zander   Email Sage Zander         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Blowing things up isn't terrorism? Gotchya. Even if it's for a good cause, as V's was, it was terrorism.

Still. Great movie, as I expected. Watchowski is good at philosophical action, the Matrix Proved that a while back. I liked it for both the action and thinking elements. Definitely going to add it to my DVD collection when it comes out, and that's not something I usually say.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
ter·ror·ism ( P )
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Yep.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Yeah, but I consider terrorism a specifically anti-personnel tactic. by this I mean I mean directed at a major populace.

I see where you are however, I just have a different specific definition I guess.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.