FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Are Humans Worthy of Gods Love? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are Humans Worthy of Gods Love?
Aryei
Member # 9025

- posted      Profile for Aryei   Email Aryei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by VetaMega:
If your Christian then you know that God sent Jesus to save us. If he gave up on us, we'd all die because we have too much sin.

more to that point, if we would die under the weight of sin, then how'd we survive to the point where Jesus got the honor of dying for us? I got the impression that Jesus dying for humanity's sins was only part of the greater message that the responsibility of teaching the world about G-d was a responsibility every man who knew the Covenant had, and that no longer were Jews the only ones who would shoulder the responsibility of a Covenant with G-d. Oh, and the whole Love thy Neighbor thing, I hear he was big on that, and we Jews mighta been slow on the uptake, not finding a way to abolish the death penalty until after our Temple fell the second, and so far, last time.

I'm a Jew, sorta, Son of the Commandments'n all that though I'm pretty blasphemous. As of yet I'm really fuzzy on my understanding of the Christian faith(s), and even many of the stories of the Tanakh, having more interest in the whole of Judeo-Christian history than it's beginnings when we decided somehow that the Jewish Torah and Tanakh and The Christian 'Good News' Gospels were static documents never again to be improved upon. Also I'm quite clueless about Islam, I've promised myself I'll study all three before fall 2007 in depth. The histories of all three are all I have a real grasp on.

So when I made light of how we might look upon horror and tragedy and take those events themselves as evidence of G-d's love, I recognize I was being very, very rude. and mean. I apologize for that. I suppose what I was trying to go for was the idea that - if we're to assume G-d is with us, in this Covenant between G-d and the individual, G-d and the community, whatever - then we assume that G-d is with us in our sorrows as much as in our joys.

:-(. I don't know where I'm going with this anymore, it just saddens me that people presume that G-d loves us more or less depending on how happy our lives are. I thought that question was already answered with Job - where even when Job's suffering was, really, G-d's fault - the point was still that G-d loved and trusted in the strength and virtue of his creation. Whether it's G-d or Fate or Coincidence putting us through the wringer, the message is the same. we are worthy.

I edited this maybe twice, and now I forgot what exactly I edited, so I won't say where. I apologize for not noting the edit spots.

further edit: I find this thread facinating, but I wonder if it still belongs in the Discussions about OSC section - is there any way to move it to the other forum on Books Food and Culture? and should we?

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
more to that point, if we would die under the weight of sin, then how'd we survive to the point where Jesus got the honor of dying for us?
From a Christian perspective, what Jesus did reached from the Beginning to the End of humanity. When in time he died for our sins is considered inconsiquential.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
From a Christian perspective, what Jesus did reached from the Beginning to the End of humanity. When in time he died for our sins is considered inconsiquential.

Id hardly say in inconsiquential, how did the world carry on before Jesus popped out and what about all of us heathens why havent we died under the weight of our sin? If Jesus was here i think he would Pimp Slap YOu for speaking on his behalf, (bad joke) next time try "i think from my christian prespective"

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.