FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Continuity Error?

Author Topic: Continuity Error?
Roaming Eyes
Member # 9372

- posted      Profile for Roaming Eyes   Email Roaming Eyes         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Shadow of the Giant... and realized that there might be an error and possible conflict for the obvious next book. In Ender's Game, we see that Mack Rackham, Ender, and Valentine were shipped off to the first colony setup by Earth in fact they even had important positions in the colony but, in Shadow of Giants Mack Rackham was still on Earth and Ender was already there. Unless of course the new spaceships that Peter and Graff could catch up with Ender and/or dock with Ender's Ship or Land on the first colony first! In addition, if OSC makes the new book as posted in another thread OSC New Ender Book!
There's another problem that I have but... in the process of writing I've forgotten it... I'll write it out when I wake up tonight in the middle of the night when I've remembered!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* This concern has been addressed. Read the relevant sections more closely.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
The Mazer issue will always be near and dear to my Heart. I'm sure many people here remember why. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Before the book was released, OSC posted the first 5 chapters on his website. Once he saw Rackman, someone (I assume neo-dragon) mentioned this same contradiction to OSC. OSC added the lines, (paraphrased)

"Everyone knows you went with a colony ship"
"that was a lie"

That person got acknowledged in the book, just as I did.

I'm Mark Trevors in case you're wondering.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
The other poster who got credit for helping to fix the error is mr_porteiro_head.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game said Mazer was captain of the ship. But once he got to the colony, I obviously forgot all about him, because he doesn't do a single darn thing. So having it turn out to be a lie worked fine with EG. <grin> Thus we authors turn even our errors into gold. Well, er, tin at least. Plastic. Really cheap plastic. Toothpicks. Toothpicks are good, right?
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. Toothpicks are how I stay awake much of the time.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lego feet
Member # 8093

- posted      Profile for lego feet   Email lego feet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Toothpicks are good, right?

Toothpicks??????? This is an outrage.
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pythian%Legume
Member # 9405

- posted      Profile for Pythian%Legume   Email Pythian%Legume         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card, your banter makes me cry, and your brilliance makes me grin like an idiot.
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roaming Eyes
Member # 9372

- posted      Profile for Roaming Eyes   Email Roaming Eyes         Edit/Delete Post 
wow... OSC responded to my post... I'm amazed. Since I'm new to the board I don't really know where the "revelent section" is... But, I'll start searching now. Great sense of humor. :-P
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
The Mazer issue will always be near and dear to my Heart. I'm sure many people here remember why. [Big Grin]

Good times.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

- posted      Profile for opiejudy   Email opiejudy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Before the book was released, OSC posted the first 5 chapters on his website. Once he saw Rackman, someone (I assume neo-dragon) mentioned this same contradiction to OSC. OSC added the lines, (paraphrased)

"Everyone knows you went with a colony ship"
"that was a lie"

That person got acknowledged in the book, just as I did.

I'm Mark Trevors in case you're wondering.

hey thats neat, when i read that in the acknowledgements I wondered if it was someone that i had run into here or not!
Posts: 63 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.