FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Pastwatch Movie

Author Topic: Pastwatch Movie
Son Of Kerensky
Member # 9233

- posted      Profile for Son Of Kerensky   Email Son Of Kerensky         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wandered over to www.taleswapper.net and found the preview screenplay of Pastwatch by Geoffrey Card. I gotta say if you go this direction it looks to be a winner. I was very concerned about any movie based off the book considering how the story was built in the novel would probably run poorly on film (even though I love the book). So the direction I see with even this very early draft gets me excited about a possible second OSC novel to screen after Ender's Game. If you want to see what I'm talking about here is the link for the screenplay:
http://www.taleswapper.net/movies/pastwatch/PastwatchSample.pdf

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
You would not believe how many drafts it took to condense the entire first 3/4 of the novel into that sample [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
That sample was excellent. On my list of OSC books to read, I'm definitely moving Pastwatch up a few notches. Though I guess now I can skip the first 3/4 of it [Smile]
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they start a *little* earlier. That scene is my favorite in the whole book, and I think it needs some setup: I'd want to know that time tampering is thought impossible; and that Diko is just going about her business, eating lunch, whatever, when the bombshell drops.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Movies always have to leave stuff out. That's just how it is. So Puppy made the best set of choices imaginable.

Anybody got ten million to invest?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son Of Kerensky
Member # 9233

- posted      Profile for Son Of Kerensky   Email Son Of Kerensky         Edit/Delete Post 
If I did I would definately call this a sound investment. Unfortunately on my wages acquiring ten million would take over twenty years assuming I don't eat or drink, sleep on the ground, and somehow my boss would still let me work in that condition =p If it wasn't for the dying of dehydration or starvation I would consider it worth the sacrifice.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch meant too much to me to see a movie from it, but while I enjoyed Homebody, I think I could see a film made from that without it messing up my memories, so I'll root for that instead.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pathos Bill
Member # 8144

- posted      Profile for Pathos Bill   Email Pathos Bill         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Pup -- I got chills. I love the vector you are taking into this story.

So what, video games aren't taking up enough of your time? New baby sleeping through the night already? What is it going to take to keep the raging torrent of Geoff-talent submerged? Insidious minds want to know!

(They also want to know what it's going to take to get you back to Utah, but that's another story)

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.