FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC and Spore (video-game)

Author Topic: OSC and Spore (video-game)
henrikrh
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for henrikrh   Email henrikrh         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone heard of Spore? Amazing looking game by Will Wright, search for videos of it on google video or youtube, they will blow your mind.

Anyways, in the game you evolve a species, I'm planning to create the formics, pequinos and of course humans and watch them do battle. Should be very interesting to see which species is the fittest according to the descriptions in the Ender Saga.

OSC, have you heard of Spore or seen the videos?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've described it to him, but I don't remember if I actually showed him the videos ...

I wonder how many "Formics" are going to be crawling around the internet once Spore hits the shelves.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, that game looks fantastic. I hope it's fun. The idea looks great, but then, so did Black and White, and that was a trash pile of badness.

Please SPORE, don't suck.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beware_of_moose
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for beware_of_moose   Email beware_of_moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
I wonder how many "Formics" are going to be crawling around the internet once Spore hits the shelves.

Probably not as many as the Borg, the Zerg, or the Xenomorphs, but they'll be out there.

Personally, I'm plenty interested in Spore, and how close one can follow a fiction with it. How customizable will it be? (and will I be able to run it?)

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Will Wright made a point of being able to create a Care Bear with it, so who knows what options you'll have [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHaulHxmO4A

(The latest video of Spore. Just B-roll for the press.)

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to Spore. Looks pretty damned amazing. I could spend weeks just messing around.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing Wright didn't go into a whole lot of detail on was the customizability of your creature's culture. It definitely seemed like some were more warlike than others, but I have no clue as to how that came about. Is it based on the actual physical shape of your organisms? The geography? Architectural style? The actual reproductive methods were one part of the game that didn't seem procedural; we went from (apparantly asexual) egg laying to sexual reproduction, and that was it. In this aspect, I think the game will be too rigid to allow for societal recreations of popular alien species. Maybe I can create Zerglings, or Hydralisks, but it seems doubtful I'd actually be able to create the Zerg (as in the gene altering assimilator).

Then again, that was just a half hour video of a game that one could play for hours on end. So who knows?

What I'd like to know is, can I create flying creatures? I don't think I saw any on the demo. Can you imagine an intelligent society where everyone can fly? Wild.

A Rat Named Dog, thanks for posting that link! I hadn't seen those videos before.

[ May 07, 2006, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Juxtapose ]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
I've described it to him, but I don't remember if I actually showed him the videos ...

Who are you Puppy?

BTW spore looks awesome, I wish I had a better CPU!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Puppy is Mr. Card's son, Geoff. Also known as A Rat Named Dog.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Spore looks great - I hope it doesnt have the same hype as B&W did, and turn out as unreplayable as it was.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
yah i saw the video's and were astounded.

I looked a little more up i believe you definatly can create flying creatures

Yet i don't think you could create a hive mind like the formics or the reproductive ways of the pequininos on it

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching G4 today they were talking to Will Wright and as far as Culture and weather the cretures are warlike or peaceful depends on how you play the creture after you make it.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Catseye. There's more here:

Part 1 of a 2 part interview with Wright.

quote:
Each level of the game you're setting some kind of aspect of the creature. Like in the creature mode, you're setting whether they're group or solo, so if they're herd creatures or very individual. In the tribal you're setting if whether they're emotional or logical. In the city one we're still kind of playing with and will still probably change. In the civ level you're basically setting diplomatic/imperial you know, diplomatic you're kind doing alliances with people you're fairly peaceful; imperialistic, you're conquering people.
EDIT - A forum dedicated to Spore.

EDIT, again, because I thought this cool - From the June 2006 Computer Gaming World:
quote:
The team created Sporepedia to storeall the content information for players to look at. IT's organized into virtual card decks, each showcasing a different kind of content. For every planet that a player encounters, he or she gets a little planet card to go along with it-and with each planet card comes individual cards for all of the content on that planet. Each card (which the team envisions as animated) contains information about who created it, as well as statistics on how the creations have fared in other universes (like how many battles they have won or lost).
Wright envisions Sporepedia possible existing as a seperate card game, too: Players could print these cards out, with rules based off the creature's stats. Voila - Spore: The Card Game.

[ May 11, 2006, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Juxtapose ]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.