FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Enchantment

Author Topic: Enchantment
chickenfeet
Member # 9451

- posted      Profile for chickenfeet           Edit/Delete Post 
Is one of my favorite of the Orson Scott Card books. I change my mind about certain phrases in the book each time I read it. In particular, the line of Baba Yaga's about the clever woman wrapping herself in her lies and choosing to believe only the lies that she likes. My reaction alternates between admiration and disgust- as it does for so many of the phrases in the story. Do other people have thoughts on this?
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember that part. It's been far too long since I read it. But I probably shouldn't this week. Welcome to Hatrack, by the way.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what you're saying. Disgust with Baba Yaga? Well, duh. You're not supposed to agree with her or admire her; though at the same time, she WILL occasionally say something clever enough somebody might like it, because while she's evil, she's also supposed to be clever.

But disgust with ME? Or with the whole book, because of some things the most evil character in the book says? If that's your point, i'm a little disappointed - am I only supposed to have my characters say truthful or morally enlightening things? Who would believe in characters like THAT! <grin>

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked that Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition had a Baba Yaga in it and that Enchantment made her seem just as horible as the music depiction.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, tho, Scott.. You should be kinder to Old Women who practice the craft. You shoulda put a token good witch just for fairness sake.. (evil grin)
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Baba Tila?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, I think you may have been a bit fast off the gun, there. [Smile] chickenfeet clearly appreciates Yaga's moral ambiguity; it doesn't sound like he's skewering you for it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled Baba Yaga, she is considered a Goddess by those russkies.. A GODDESS!
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chickenfeet
Member # 9451

- posted      Profile for chickenfeet           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
I'm not sure what you're saying. Disgust with Baba Yaga? Well, duh. You're not supposed to agree with her or admire her; though at the same time, she WILL occasionally say something clever enough somebody might like it, because while she's evil, she's also supposed to be clever.

But disgust with ME? Or with the whole book, because of some things the most evil character in the book says? If that's your point, i'm a little disappointed - am I only supposed to have my characters say truthful or morally enlightening things? Who would believe in characters like THAT! <grin>

I thought I started the topic with something like "This is my favorite Orson Scott Card book", so I doubt I would be disgusted with either the book or the author based simply on a several lines. (silly)

I was just pointing out a line that I enjoyed to read and that made me consider whether it has relevance in my life. Is the sentement really reprehensible? At first I admired it, but at the fifth read I changed my mind. Whether you wrote it to be thought-provoking or not, it did cause thoughts to careen through my mind.

But I actually liked Baba Yaga quite well. I don't think it is just that she is "clever" but she is an interesting person. If I shared her morals I would admire her. Of course if I were in her presence I would be horrified/terrified.

So in conclusion, it would be absurd for your charachters to be truthful and enlightening all the time. That would certainly make any plot difficult to write!

ETA: thanks Pooka! and SteveThomas...er... TomDavidson (Oh, I am female by the way)

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how the "Hut of Baba Yaga" that we've heard portrayed so effectively by Mussorgsky (and later, revised by Ravel, etc.) is actually a 747. Who woulda thunk it?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I finally got a chance to re-read and I have no idea where this line actually was. Do you mean when Bear is telling her he can see through her disguise?

Well, it was fun to read anyway. I've officially lost count of how many times I've read it.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

It is far too easy to look at an old witch and hate her.
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm pretty sure that I hated the eye-cutting and the baby killing and so forth. Baba Tila was an old witch and you don't hate her.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally Posted by BandoCommando:
I like how the "Hut of Baba Yaga" that we've heard portrayed so effectively by Mussorgsky (and later, revised by Ravel, etc.) is actually a 747. Who woulda thunk it?

Actually that was the main version. Remember at the end- Baba Yaga didn't die and decided to make it more into of a regular house with actual chicken legs.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Baba Yaga can't die. She's immortal.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.