FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Discrepancy between Ender's Game and the Polish Boy (**Small Spoiler**)

Author Topic: Discrepancy between Ender's Game and the Polish Boy (**Small Spoiler**)
ThePersonMan
Member # 9440

- posted      Profile for ThePersonMan           Edit/Delete Post 
I just read The Polish Boy and the first part of Ender's Game, and noticed how neither John Paul nor Graff gave any sign that they had previosly met. I understand, however, that its impossible to know a character's reaction when there is almost a 20 diffrence between the writings of the books.
Posts: 53 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
it's not entirely important in ender's game to know if john paul and graff had met any time prior. also,i believe that part of ender's game is from ender's point of view.. i dont know if he would have noticed that they've met before. if the wiggin parents had been given permission to have a third child, wouldnt that mean that the wiggin parents had met with members of the IF... possibly graff?

unless it clearly states "graff and john paul never met before this moment" i dont think i'd sweat that too much.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just found it weird because I never realized that there was such an age difference between Graff and Ender's parents. I thought that Graff was younger in EG.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well to be put in charege of battle school which was gona decide the fate of humanity you would have to have a good record and such so I dont see it as being that had to belive
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
He was REALLY young in the Polish Boy (Graff was) maybe his twenties, so tweny years late he still wouldn't really be THAT old... about right for that amount of career development.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it really only 20 years later? I don't think so. That would mean that John Paul was only 26 at the start of EG, meaning that Peter was born when he was 16! And we know that's impossible because he didn't even meet Teresa until he was in college.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that that aspect of The Polish Boy really added some fantastic depth to Enders Game, or at least the beginning. If you want to go with a discrepancy, look to the Shadow series, where they are in much more contact with each other, and still no hint of ever having met. Not a big deal, but in the case of Enders Game and The Polish Boy, I thought that a lot was added.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point was that John Paul wasn't supposed to remember Graff. Graff wanted John Paul to go to Battle School but couldn't make him, so his plan was to send him away, like John wanted, and come back years later after John forgot about him so he could use John's child to bring to Battle School.

Then again, maybe John did remember Graff in Ender's Game and Graff used the argument that John owed him from years ago and had no choice but to send his child to Battle School.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
They had no choice once Ender was conceived. It was only Ender who had the choice. As far as timelines go, who's to say that 16 is too young for College?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
Not I--but I'd think that it's still unusual enough that John Paul's age would have been mentioned in the story.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.