FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Romeo & Juliet

Author Topic: Romeo & Juliet
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
I attended the Friday night showing, and I must say that I was really impressed with the caliber of the performance. Especially by the youth who were playing the leads. (Actually the adult parts were rather stiff in comparison)

The actors showed a great sense of timing. The body languange and physical acting helped the audience understand the verbal language that was sometimes a bit harder to understand. (Even with OSC's "translation" this is still Shakespeare)

I also really enjoyed the sword fighting scenes. It was clear that quite a bit of time was spent choreographing the fights. The weeping and wailing at the end was a little over the top, it actually made it hard to hear the final words of dialog. But other than that, it was a wonderful evening.

Kudos to all involved.

---
Over the past several years, I have had the opportunity to see a number of these productions (one of the advantages of living in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina). They make a great night of entertainment for my family. If you live anywhere near Greensboro, you shouldn't miss these opportunities.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good review. I'm glad even my rewrites left it sounding like Shakespeare. I used the crying at the end to show the devastation to the community - the catharsis THEY felt - so that we could see that the change resulting from these children's deaths might be real and permanent. For some it might feel over the top - but for me, it's the essential eucatastrophe that makes the play something other than a melodrama. If we don't experience the change of heart in the survivors, then it's just a depressing story of children so dumb they think thwarted love is a reason to kill yourself.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.