FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Who thinks SftD would make a better film than EG?

Author Topic: Who thinks SftD would make a better film than EG?
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I personaly do, although the burden would rest to a huge extent on one actor (a younger Ralph Finnes would be great, fortunatly, his younger brother, of Shakespeare in Love and Luther fame, is also very talented.)

Are there any plans to follow up with this version (I may have to choose another actor to star in *my* film soon [Wink] )

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the book, but I don't think that it would be a better movie. Too much symbolism and philosophically ethical dilemmas.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker is a great book, but I think it would be a bit dull to watch on screen.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was done right, it could probably make a good film, but I don't think the subject matter lends itself to that medium as well as that of EG. For the same reason that LotR has been turned into good movies and the Silmarillion has not, EG is a better bet. Do I make sense? Maybe.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheezecake214
Member # 9329

- posted      Profile for Cheezecake214   Email Cheezecake214         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if Speaker was made into a movie it wouldnt get the same amount of people wanting to see it. The enders game movie will atrack people that havent read the book, and speaker might not. It would also be a more adult movie and most kids wouldnt see it. EG is a better idea for a movie.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is the same as the gerenal consensus to this point.

Speaker is a deep inner philosophical book. You are inside the characters and their motivations for actions throughout the entire book. This is a very hard thing to translate onto the screen. When it is a character's intrinsic motivations guiding them, you can't show it very easily.

Ender's Game, on the other hand, has plenty of extrensic motivation that can be shown. There's the constant threat of the buggers, there's the grueling task of Battle School, and there's the constant need to succeed.

Plus overall appeal to the audience out there, Ender's Game would attract more with the eye-candy action and war going on.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful substance and story, but you'd have to condense all 3 books to avoid it being nothing more than a setup movie, and that usually annoys people. And you really couldn't condense that kind of content into 2 hours without falling back to a "running around" movie punctuated by arguments and flashback thought scenes.

It's a novel (series), and a great one.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER WARNING

I think it could be made into a great movie. But I am not going to make myself anxious over it. I think the best film adaptations tend to stray pretty far from the books they are based on. It would actually make a really good Oscar contender. Brilliant scientist trapped in religion-dominated small town treating everyone around her like crap. Nasty secrets, infidelity, ritual killing.

I'm not quite sure how Ender fits into it all, since I haven't seen many of those movies. I guess Miro would have to have the more central role, with his Christic sacrifice at the end.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The movie version of Speaker would consist of long, tedious conversations interrupted by moments of nauseating cruelty. And the conclusion would be a long documentary on the life of a nonexistent creature.

Imagine March of the Penguins in which you have to listen to the Penguins talk about their philosophy of life while going back and forth to the ocean.

Doesn't work for me. Not every book needs to be filmed.

Now, Wyrms, Hart's Hope, Enchantment, Homebody, Magic Street - THOSE would be GREAT movies.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know - the reveal about Nohvina and (omitted to avoid spoiler), the investigation portion of the movie - scifi private eye kind of thing - plus the reveal about why the two xenologers died would be enough to pull a movie together very well.

The Speaker construct is actually a very good device for story telling.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
But the "reveal" about why the xenologers died requires a long, long, long explanation. On film, long explanations are horrible (remember the second Matrix movie?).
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, I can't remember much of it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
But the "reveal" about why the xenologers died requires a long, long, long explanation. On film, long explanations are horrible (remember the second Matrix movie?).

I'm betting this means it's a good thing I've never seen the Matrix sequels?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Yes. A very good thing. Remember when The Matrix (first one) came out and everyone was all "ooooh, look, philosophy and cool science fiction and deep questions, and also sexy actors in leather"? Well, that all ends with the sequels (except the leather). One of the movie theatres in my hometown that has something of a sarcastic sense of humor advertised Reloaded as 'Morpheus's Dance Party'. And honestly, that's pretty much all it is. That and a admittedly very cool fight with ~374581357483957 Agent Smiths.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one Matrix movie.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree that not all books need to be movies, and I won't really miss not having a SftD movie. But I think you're underestimating the power of what you did in that book.

The problem with the Matrix was that what was being revealed wasn't worth the effort at all.

It was meaningless - unhinted at before, and having no effect on anything that happened five minutes later and beyond. They could have revealed any of a dozen different explanations of who Neo was and why he was important and the entire rest of the trilogy would have been the same.

SftD, on the other hand, resolves standing mysteries in a way that satisfies. You believe that this is the answer, even if you didn't figure it out, because this is how things are.

I think the interest would be built up enough to sustain it if written and edited correctly.

Things we have to know to get the full effect: ** SPOILERS BELOW **

1.) The piggies become trees and consider it an honor to go through the passage to third life.
2.) They thought humans could become trees, too.
3.) Pipo and Libo refused to do what they thought was taking a life.
4.) How what Pipo saw in the descolada model led directly to his death.

Maybe have the xenologers have a recording device that the piggies kept that they return to Ender, to be watched with narration? (Definitely not my field.)

This could be done quickly, informatively, and movingly. It brings the Marcao speaking thread into the what's up with the piggies thread, so everything that happens before and after depends on this reveal. The audience would stick with it.

The scene could easily be done poorly - it would require superb direction, writing, acting, and editing to pull it off. And, it's not something I need to see in a movie.

But I do think the power inherent in the story and characters would carry this along.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

:looks in reverence at Dagonee's post count:

I think the action pretty well establishes what goes on.
Pipo gets killed.
The piggies worship trees and dream of becoming them.
Miro makes fun of them.
Ender shows up and tries giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I think the main thing that was wrong with the second Matrix movie was the "to be concluded" BS. The first Matrix had a fair amount of talking in it. You could just tolerate it because it involved cookies and ladies in red dresses and stuff. They went to far in trying to combine the desserts and sex in the sequels.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cagreat1
Member # 8511

- posted      Profile for cagreat1   Email cagreat1         Edit/Delete Post 
i think SftD would make a great movie. I think the biggest problem would be a greater focus on the forbidden love that takes place in the novel. What i think would be better is to make the ender quartet a mini series on the sci-fi channel. I think that would be a better medium than a movie. The problem with the books being converted into movies is that they are all too long and involved. It's hard to cut any one part out to shorten it. this is very evident in the EG movie script that keeps getting redone. it's too hard to omit things because most of it is too important to leave out. if you take one event out, you change the characters or you take away from them. Instead of making a movie, i would suggest a show that could be on for one season that would cover the span of all the ender's books (the shadow series would have to be saved for the next season [Wink] this would give OSC about 2 TV seasons to write the next 4 books with the children of ender)
Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Agh! Sci-Fi Channel!

*turns green*

I think Ender would be better off staying away from there...

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The extent of my experience with Sci-Fi channel is Dune, and I thought that was pretty good. I mean, it actually got me to read the book. If you had any idea what it takes to get me to read a book...
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Now, Wyrms, Hart's Hope, Enchantment, Homebody, Magic Street - THOSE would be GREAT movies.

Those first two are disturbing enough in print, thanks.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind seeing Enchantment as a film.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leroy
Member # 9533

- posted      Profile for Leroy   Email Leroy         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see SftD in Mini-series format, but I don't know whether the Sci-Fi channel would be up to it. When I think of a really good mini series, I think Band of Brothers.
I also think that SftD would lend itself to being split into episodes, especially if each episode was from a different character's pov.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.