FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is this guy referring to OSC?

Author Topic: Is this guy referring to OSC?
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Link.
quote:
I stopped following the journal of someone who had been one of my favorite writers. His journal consisted entirely of complaining about television, which he seemed to watch about sixteen hours a day, and grumbling about how people were being too disrespectful to George W. Bush. (That "sixteen hours" figure is literal, by the way. Like, he wakes up, turns on MSNBC, and leaves it on, paying enough attention to it to have extensive commentary, until he goes to bed, occasionally switching channels to watch All My Children or The West Wing.)
Well, maybe not. But this guy has referred to OSC a few times on his website. "Journal" could refer to OSC's two weekly columns, which are sort of like journal entries; and OSC does review a lot of TV shows (the Bush part is obvious).

Just so it's clear, I do not agree with this guy, but I could easily see someone disillusioned by OSC's columns developing this mental picture of him.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
If this IS referring to me, it's obvious that he hasn't bothered to read anything beyond, say, one column in each category, period. But hey - he did the right thing. He doesn't like the columns, then he shouldn't read them.

But then ... anybody who reads my column with any attention knows that I would rather have my teeth pulled than watch MSNBC. A joint product of the evil monopoly MicroSoft and the Media Establishment? What in the world is he thinking? <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
And you complain way, way more about movies than TV, from what I've seen. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, we have proof he doesn't just watch TV all day. He posts on Hatrack, too, doesn't he?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
He reads a lot of books and listens to country music as well. Plus the teaching gig. And unless the person confounds AMC and WW with Smallville and Lost, it's not Card.

Oh yeah, he writes about local businesses and complains about how all drivers want to kill pedestrians in NC. No thumbnail would be complete without his obsession with the Dobie dishwashing doo dah. [Smile] I say merely in the way of setting your mind at ease, and not as a criticism of him.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
is this a contest to who stalks Mr Card the most?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that Card hires people to be him. He reviews books, audiobooks, music, movies, television, games (computer and otherwise), resturaunts, and everything else, which implies that he actually reads these books, listens to these audiobooks and music cds, watches these shows, plays these games, eats at these resturaunts, and on and on. Meanwhile he forms thoughtful and original opinions about current events and issues; he spends time with his family; he flies to conventions, speaking engagements, and business meetings; he teaches, directs plays and appears to be an active member of his church; he shows no sign of writer's block; he runs a website or three, and he still finds time to troll the forums and answer peoples questions. One assumes he sleeps, and he claims to exercise. I'm sorry, but I don't have enough time in the day to do all the things I need to do, and my laundry list isn't a quarter the size of his. Something's fishy.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't hire people, Resh. It's common knowledge that his clones do all the work for him.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
the only real network is ABCNNBCBS
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
He has something like eight websites actually, though Im not sure which ones, if any, he actually runs himself.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, maybe you're right and he does, but it doesn't seem like him. It seems like if he couldn't keep up with it, he'd come out and admit it. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems like a pretty ethical guy, and deceiving people to that extent just doesn't seem like him. It's not like he has to do it to keep a fan base. Actually, I know of at least one fan he's lost with some of his recent posting. One of my friends was so sorely offended by his post on homosexual marriage in the mormon church (his mom is a lesbian) that he won't read it anymore. While i happen to think this friend is silly to get so upset over something that doesn't even effect him (he isn't even mormon), it supports my point. There's no purpose for Card doing all of this unless he's actually DOING it. It's not gaining him anything.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't know, maybe you're right and he does, but it doesn't seem like him. It seems like if he couldn't keep up with it, he'd come out and admit it. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems like a pretty ethical guy, and deceiving people to that extent just doesn't seem like him."

Uhhh, you do realize they were joking about the whole cloning/hiring people to be him thing? Or were you just continuing the joke, only more seriously?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.