FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Why did Suriyawong betray Peter and Co.?

Author Topic: Why did Suriyawong betray Peter and Co.?
Saint
Member # 9486

- posted      Profile for Saint   Email Saint         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm not exactly done with the book yet, but this is bugging me.

In Shadow of the Hegemon, Suriyawong and Bean were friends, right?

So when Achilles began to take over the Hegemon offices in Brazil, why did Suriyawong ally himself with Achilles and not Peter?

Was it because he was afraid of Achilles because he rescued him, therefore seeing him in a state of helplessness?

I just find it odd that Suriyawong changed sides so quickly...

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Finish the book!
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint
Member # 9486

That's the worst part. I can't.

My family went to Six Flags for my younger sister's birthday. When we pulled into the parking lot I had just finished the chapter where Peter and his parents leave Brazil.

I almost didn't want to get out of the car.

A few hours later I took the bus home, because my family wanted to stay for a couple more hours.

That's when I found out I left the book in the car.

So now I'm home all alone, without Shadow Puppets.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Library!
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint
Member # 9486

It's 9:00 0'clock where I live. Library's closed.

Uh-oh. I just gave away information about what time it is where I live. Now you can get a rough estimate on what part of the world I'm in.

Dang, I sure hope you guys aren't sexual predators.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

You're fine. Go tomorrow.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me when I say you *don't* want to learn the answer to your question any way but by finishing the book. [Smile]

Welcome to Hatrack.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint
Member # 9486

Haha thanks.

I used to be a member of Hatrack, but I left when OSC closed the young writers forums.

Now that I've finally gotten around to reading the Shadow Series, I thought it was an appropriate time to come back.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I already read the book, but that's pretty spoilerful for a subject!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't he ally himself with Achilles in the first scene in which he appears?

Wow, now I really want to read this book again. But if I do, I have no chance of going to Uncle Orson's writer's class next week. Must... clean... kitchen...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Suri tossed his combat knife onto the floor of the van. “loan of a knife” - Achilles saved himself. [Wink]
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
SHUT UP!
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Runningbear- the parts they mention take place within the first three chapters of Shadow Puppets- and might even still be accessible through this very website.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint
Member # 9486

Finished Shadow Puppets.

Now I'm about half done with Shadow of the Giant.

Interesting ending for SP. I think I'm going to be depressed...Achilles was the man...

Nothing makes a book more intriguing like a maniac that takes all logic out of his actions.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if by "the man" you mean a heartless psychopath who killed anyone who ever helped him.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint
Member # 9486

He just made the story more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't necessarily support those kind of people.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Moozh was the man. Achilles was just crazy and scary.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started reading Shadow Puppets and I'm beginning to think (no actually I'm pretty sure) that I've already read it. I want to move on to the next book but I'm afraid that I've forgotten too many details of Shadow Puppets to move on yet. What I'm looking for (if anyone's willing) is a summary of SP with important plot details so that I can go on to the next book. I would re read it but I really dont have the time. If you want to email me (so that there aren't too many spoilers in the forum) that's fine too. Thanks in advance!!
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Moozh was the man. Achilles was just crazy and scary.

I just finished that series. Vas reminded my of Achilles more than once.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.