FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Anton, Bean, Descoladors, and Path.

Author Topic: Anton, Bean, Descoladors, and Path.
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
i know there has been a large speculation and plenty of ideas have been scattered through many other threads but i still feel the following hasnt been discussed in one place.

anton has psychological blocks that restrict him from ever exposing what the government wants to keep secret. this only brings up the thought of path and their OCD/"dedication" to starways congress.

volescu was brought into space. although he might not be alive in any future books, certainly his work will be carried on by other characters (descoladors). this makes me think that the descolada planet wasn't inhabited by an alien species (unless, of course, a lab-produced species such as bean) but a world of humans that dedicated their lives to biology and any technology required to transmit the descolada.

does the intelligence of the people of path surpass bean's? was anton's key only turned halfway in order so they would have a normal adult height? was the art of anton's key perfected so an adult height would be reached?

the OCD trait was placed by members of congress, but is this something that all of congress knows about?

can it be agreed that the genetic and biological progress of congress is a product of volescu?

why do most of my posts turn into questions instead of speculation? characters of the series would tell me i ask these questions only because i already know the answers.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't you talking about this a while ago in some other thread? It seems familiar.

quote:
volescu was brought into space. although he might not be alive in any future books, certainly his work will be carried on by other characters (descoladors). this makes me think that the descolada planet wasn't inhabited by an alien species (unless, of course, a lab-produced species such as bean) but a world of humans that dedicated their lives to biology and any technology required to transmit the descolada.
In the Speaker trilogy, the original descolada virus apparently had struck Lusitania about half a million years or so ago (I may not have this right, haven't read the books in a while). That doesn't seem to make it possible that the descoladores were human. Besides, wouldn't they have been able to communicate, then, when the Lusitanians tried to contact them?
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at Si-Wang-Mu, I would vote against the intelligence of the Pathites to be greater than Bean. Though she did have exceptional abilities of intuition, of being able to get Hikari talking and projecting why she had been brought to Pacifica.

That's where it gets weird. Jane didn't even know why Wang-Mu went to Pacifica, but it turned out to be critical that she be there.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Premonitions, a human phenomenon that with enhanced intelligence borders on prophecy. Nifty!
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bk992004
Member # 9407

- posted      Profile for Bk992004   Email Bk992004         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by formic rising:

I will be sorely disappointed if the Descoladors turn out to be anything even remotely related to Bean and/or Volescu. What a cop-out for bringing the two story lines together that would be...
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what just occurred to me? All of these ideas for bringing various things from the Enderverse together that shouldn't be...it's almost exactly like fanfiction. Just stay with me here...because the storyline is limited to what has already been written, the same characters, same conflicts, and the story centers around the same story it originated from. It's just recycling. These theories lack the originality of an actual book.

Okay, that probably made no sense to everyone except me, but it's been bothering me for a while and I just realized why.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because the storyline is limited to what has already been written, the same characters, same conflicts, and the story centers around the same story it originated from. It's just recycling. These theories lack the originality of an actual book.
Well said. That does make sense, and it is probably why I also would be a little disappointed if all the story lines came perfectly together. I don't want the same few characters to be responsible for every significant event in the entire universe, just like how I don't want the ability to go Outside and back to solve every little problem. I like the new ideas, the new characters, and the new story lines as it leaves much more to the imagination.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with both of you entirely, crash and camus. you make perfect sense, by the way. the storyline is rather limited.. but it's a storyline no less. imagine all that is going to happen. young peter and company are going to be taking down starway congress. bean's children could turn into both friend and foe. (i'd hate to see them all stick together on one planet for some reason)

i guess what i'm trying to say is that the storylines arent supposed to go together perfectly.. it's what makes them come together so wonderufl [Smile] at the same time.. you cant really argue with the fact that some things will come together easily.

there just seemed to be so many little hints here and there in SOTG. i think one of them was on page 106 when bean says something like "i'll have my kids in our ship and we wont stop until we've found 100 colonies or more" even the use of "100 colonies" seemed to spark a small connection to "hundred worlds" from the speaker series. i know i'm probably just being petty.

the ability to go outside shouldn't solve anything more than the ability to get to so many places and really fast. just think how fast paced the novel could be with a bunch of beankids completing all sorts of missions on various planets within a days time.

i guess it would be a pretty big fat copout if volescu ever had a small chance with the descoladors. but i'd still like to imagine that his work could have something to do with path

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
formic rising
Member # 9172

oh, and all of this is just speculation.

i didnt exactly expect to be told that these ideas lack anything (without at least knowing why and how).

i'm more curious of what other readers think about the series coming together. not why my ideas are wrong.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.