FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Short Storys Before TCC

Author Topic: Short Storys Before TCC
Mix-up
Member # 9512

- posted      Profile for Mix-up   Email Mix-up         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heared about some short stories that come before The Crystal City in the Alvin series. Does anyone know the names of these stories, and/or where I could get a copy of them?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
These stories are called "The Grinning Man" and "the Yazoo Queen". Both are found in Robert Silverberg's "Legends" and "Legends 2" anthologies. Hope this helps.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
What's The Crystal City?

*wink* Welcome to Hatrack, Mix-up. Yazoo Queen is also available in the current issue of Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show. There's also theoretically going to be a third short story that happens between Heartfire and The Crystal City -- working title White Prophet. But who knows when we'll see that. OSC has a few other things on his plate, you see....

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
What were the OSC stories in IGMS #1? I've just bought and started reading #2.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
The 1st issue of IGMS contains the short story "Mazer in Prison", about Mazer Rackham long before the events in Ender's Game.

The 1st issue also contains the complete text of OSC's first novel HOT SLEEP, which has long been out of print until now.

IMHO, HOT SLEEP is one OSC's most interesting stories, even though the structure and writing itself is not as polished and sophisticated as his later works. It's well worth the price of the magazine.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The 1st issue also contains the complete text of OSC's first novel HOT SLEEP, which has long been out of print until now.
!!!

Hot Sleep is one I've been looking for ever since I read The Worthing Saga (the first OSC book I ever read). They didn't have it on Amazon, it wasn't in any of the used bookstores I frequent .. .

*goes off and buys IGMS #1*

Craig, you get 50 points for that. And hey, if you get 100 points, you get an autographed copy of one of my history papers.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll settle for $2.50, for next quarter's subscription.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.