FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The ninth child (SPOILERS)

Author Topic: The ninth child (SPOILERS)
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading "Shadow of the Giant". Out of curiosity, does anybody have good speculations or ideas as to whereabouts and the future of Bean and Petra's unfound ninth child? For instance, who was the person who approached Randi and convinced her to become the surrogate mother to the embryo? Why did they tell her it was Achilles' baby? Where is she going to end up taking him? What role will he play in the future of the Free People of Earth, or in the lives of Bean and Petra's other kids?

[ July 17, 2006, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Dark as night ]

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Could you put "SPOILERS" real big in the title, please?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazard_Man
Member # 9578

- posted      Profile for Hazard_Man   Email Hazard_Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Towards the end of the book, Randi was set on leaving earth, only to return with the child when she thought the world was ready for him. I think it would be interesting if a cure was found for Bean, and he returns to earth at the same time that she does, or shortly after. Even if Bean is not still alive at that time, his kids will be. Achilles Flandres II vs. the new Ender?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
More like, Achilles Flandres II vs. the original Ender, based on what little we know about "Ender in Exile".
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's Boon!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we knew quite a bit about "Ender in Exile", and we definitely know that he's not coming back to earth. As far as "Achilles ll vs. the new Ender" goes, it's an interesting thought. Assuming the ship that takes Randi and the baby travels at the same relativistic speed as Bean's ship. There are a lot of variables... Another question is, will Petra and/or Bean continue to search for the baby despite IF giving up on it? By the way, do you think there is a chance of finding the cure?
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
npbeers
Member # 9612

- posted      Profile for npbeers           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER.... kinda....

I think that what SG did to the people of Path shows that they are capable to fixing Bean's problem...

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I am reading Xenocide right now and I thought that the PATH most have been decendents of the failed experiments into fixing Bean that Graff and Peter started.

Also this one may be obvious but I need confirmation. Jane is of course the program that Bean created yes?

And lastly *sorry I know am hopelessly ignorant* there are two new books in the works "ender in exile" and "shadows in flight" right does any one know when they might come out. Also what's with the "Empire" book is it or isn't it part of the Enderverse?

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
Also this one may be obvious but I need confirmation. Jane is of course the program that Bean created yes?

Not exactly. I don't have the book handy, but as I recall, in the Shadow of the Giant, when Bean discovers that Peter had been using Ender's IF pension money, he suggests that Graff find an independent computer program to manage Ender's assets. Graff decides to adapt the old "Fantasy Game" to the task, and later they even use this evolving "program" to search for Petra and Bean's lost kids. I don't remember where I read it, but it is presumed that this program, which started out as "Fantasy Game" later becomes Jane. So in a way, if anybody had a hand in "creating" Jane, it was Ender.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I noticed that a lot of new people have posted on this thread. Welcome all. [Wave]
SPOILER

In the Speaker series, we learn that Jane's auia was called by the Hive Queen to be a bridge between her mind and Ender's.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
Wow, I noticed that a lot of new people have posted on this thread. Welcome all. [Wave]
SPOILER

In the Speaker series, we learn that Jane's auia was called by the Hive Queen to be a bridge between her mind and Ender's.

Yeah, I hadn't read that part of Xenocide when I posted, sorry I was in over my head. But still, if Bean hadn't had the idea of converting the fanast game who's to say that Jane would not have become as "samart" as she is. [Wave]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.