FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Short?

Author Topic: Short?
Neon cricket
Member # 9729

- posted      Profile for Neon cricket   Email Neon cricket         Edit/Delete Post 
I think an awesome Idea and what I would love to see is a companion book for the ender series. the hive queen and the hegemon and the life of human.. it would be hard as I think many fan s would expect so much but even 3 separate shorts or what ever. What dose everyone else think would it be worth reading?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be pretty interested in the speaking of San Angelo. Or some of the letters that got Locke and Demosthenes into power. Unfortunately, Card is not actually any of his brilliant characters. He just suggests we imagine something and fill in the blanks.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neon cricket
Member # 9729

- posted      Profile for Neon cricket   Email Neon cricket         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure we are all aware that these are fictional character. I think what made the book in the enderverse so strong was that Speakers tell all good, bad, secret and unspeakable. it dose not take brilliance of a fictional character it takes the Imagination of a wrighter and the imagination of the reader.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like that idea.
thethiefhekindlyspoke.pbwiki.com

[ June 04, 2007, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Carl Conrad Coreander ]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it would be worth reading if it was ever written, but I don't think it ever will be written. Like Pooka says, "we imagine something and fill in the blanks". And that works for me! For us fans of the Enderverse or Card in general, it would be an exciting read, but it may not go over so well with the general public or general sci-fi reader. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it wouldn't be very profitable. I think it would be cool to see something like this in IGMS, maybe some Locke and Demosthenes articles as Pooka mentioned. I think it would go over well with the IGMS crowd.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I've always thought that "world"-like series don't need to explain everything. There are always loose ends, more or less important. There are always hints of more, but sometimes you can deduce what that "more" was without needing it to be written.

We were given the motives for which Locke's and Demostene's articles were so powerful. We already know Peter the Hegemon and the Hive Queen. We've lived with the Pequeninos. We were there most of the times, no need for a recap.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The Hive Queen gets a pretty good synopsis. I even wrote an essay that incorporated part of it once, also the Borg and Serenity. It was something along the lines of uniformity vs. conformity.

There is not much to the Hegemon, but I guess we get that in the Shadow series, though the massacres are not things Peter was directly responsible for in the way the original sketch from Ender's Game made it sound.

The life of Human, as I recall, was kind of in between, but since most of the book had been about the discovery of that information, it didn't have the same sense of mystery as the Hive Queen. Well, now I'm thinking about it, Isn't the Life of Human in first person?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather read something like pooka suggested, San Angelo's speaking.

I don't want to know what characters in the story have written; I want to know more about the characters themselves. Besides, Ender is the one who wrote the books, and OSC isn't Ender. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but I think many people would be disappointed with the outcome.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There was a thread about how he could write someone smarter than him a while back.
pooka
Member # 5003

I've been trying to extract all the information I can about San Angelo from SFtD. Andrew spoke his death about 40 years before Starways Congress was established. He has quotes guiding the establishment of Filhos monasteries apparently during his lifetime. The Pope recognized the order about 1600 SC, and they had already assumed the leadership of most catholic schools before the colinization of Lusitania, prior to 1900 SC.

Also mentioned is that one of main reasons for the founding of Starways Congress was religious persecution.

It is a common expression that Christ has no hands but ours. I think San Angelo's response to this would be that likewise he has no minds but ours, with which to work his will in the worlds. His mind is all-powerful, and shall one day embrace us, but we are created to love God and serve one another with our whole being, including the mind. As Charity is God's work of the hands, Hope is God's work of the mind. Or maybe Faith. Faith being that mental activity by which we manifest what we behold. How important, then, to keep an eye single to the Glory of God.

I have to say reading Pope Benedicts's speech last week and the seriousness with which he treated God's reason has really affected my thinking on this.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.