FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Not Surprised? (((SPOILER)))

Author Topic: Not Surprised? (((SPOILER)))
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Was anyone NOT surprised at the ending of Ender's Game? It seemed obvious after the fact, but I know I didn't see it coming. When the book describes the adults in the room crying and stuff, I even thought that was because Ender winning the "game" was simple proof that he could do the job, and that's why they were so elated.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't surprised cause I noticed how few pages were left, so he had to defeat them soon.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll never know what it would have been like to read it without knowing the ending first. But I think Card did a good job of supporting the ending so it was a twist and not a deus ex machina. You can look back over it and say "I should have know that was coming" even if you actually didn't.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I can't even remember whether I was surprised or not. Of course, it was like 4 in the morning when I finished the book, so maybe I was too worn out to be surprised. I remember my reaction to most of the rest of the book, and how amazed I was as I read it, but I can't remember that. Weird.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IComeAnon87
Member # 9627

- posted      Profile for IComeAnon87   Email IComeAnon87         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it at the suggestion of a couple of friends and I figured out the twist about half way through the Mazer "training sessions." My friend seemed kind of surprised when I said to him, he's probably really fighting Buggers.
Didn't mean it wasn't great but I think that it was supposed to be something that could be figured out logically. After all Bean figured it out in Shadow (and yes I realize later book, readers already read it etc.)

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mneighthyn
Member # 9572

- posted      Profile for Mneighthyn   Email Mneighthyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't expect the ending while reading Ender's Game the first time through. But I think that added to the book.
I hate it in movies when I try to figure out the ending then sure enough I was right... Yay... Well actually I later regret having guessed it because whenever I don't guess beforehand I can enjoy being surprised.

Logically speaking one should be able to figure out the ending of Ender's Game before the last few chapters... I'm not saying you should but I'm saying it's more then possible.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't remember either. I can't really separate out the first time I read it from the dozen or so times I have read it since then. [Smile]

Of course now when I read it, I can see the hints he dropped...but that is after I have read the ending so many times.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how but I wasn't surprised. When Ender went in for the Mazer training sessions I had this feeling that when Mazer said he was going to throw everything he had at Ender (I don't remember the exact dialog) that Mazer was being deceptive in some way and immediately suspected that at this point in time it was all for real. Everything just started adding up.

Now, I think what ruined it for me was because the first time I read (heard) Enders Game was the abridged audio book so I think the abridgment itself is what gave it away for me. All of the most important clues where there and compressed into a three short hours. Not a lot of extra story, only what was needed to bring it to the conclusion.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenif
Member # 9629

- posted      Profile for Kenif   Email Kenif         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I saw it before the end.
I find this happens with a lot of books, I quite like it though. When it is finally confirmed, you are pleased (and smug [Smile] ) rather than surprised.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I always knew, ever since readers (Ender) were told about the ansible. I was surprised that supergenious Ender didnt. But when I think about that, it wasnt that obvious (well, he didnt read that book, did he, and he didnt know how many pages there are left;)
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender was immersed in an environment designed to hide the truth from him, so it's not surprising he didn't figure it out.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I kinda figured, too. At the same point others have mentioned, where Rackham starts testing him.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I was surpised completely and utterly and only noticed all the subtle hints on the second read through.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that the book was approaching its end wasn't a tip-off for me because I knew there were three books left in the series.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.