FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Cheater

Author Topic: Cheater
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo!!! I just wanted to post my comments about "Cheater." Keeping this spoiler free on the first post, I just want to comment how enlightening this is into Han-Tzu's character. Great stuff Mr. Card.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you liked it. I had a lot of fun going back into Han-Tzu's childhood. And best of all, I had said NOTHING AT ALL about his childhood in the later books - so nobody can catch me in a contradiction!

I'm probably celebrating too soon. Somebody's bound to tell me I said somewhere that he grew up in Shanghai or something ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You did.

But we all swore not to tell you, and signed in blood.

Whoops . . . [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE the feeling I get from reading these Enderverse stories.

THANK YOU OSC!

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I'm glad you're enjoying them - they're fun to write.

But ... TELL YOUR FRIENDS! We need to double the number of present buyers for the magazine to break even. I can afford to run it at a loss for a while, but the Ender stories can't draw readers to the site if people don't know about them <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I got your back OSC. I just spontaneously bought all 3 issues. [Big Grin]

And I think I might buy them for my sister, just because I'm feeling like a nice brother and a nice OSC fan. [Hat]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I am unable to purchase them. I have the first one. But I got it as a gift from a really nice anonymous Jatraquero/a.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, once I get a job, remind me and I will buy them for you. I just read the three stories from the Enderverse ... they need a *yummy* smiley. I can't wait to read all the rest of the stories.

(just hit me that you won't know when I get a job, therefore you won't be able to remind me. Oh well, if I remember, once I get a job I will treat you to some literary goodness.)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm a horrible 'fan'. I get nervous to read too much stuff... I make up such fantastic stories for the folks of the books in my mind that I'm determined that my versions are what it is. What if the author's reality of it all shatters my dream world???

Slight exaggeration. With the emphasis on slight.

side-note: not saying they're not great - just saying that i personally hold back... also a question - is this han-tzu the han fei-tzu from children of the mind?

and then the edit: wait - more people need to buy it to keep it coming for the people who like to read it? i didn't read the whole thread at first. if that's the case, i know people i can buy it for.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Done, I bought all three issues and I've notified a whole bunch of non-Hatrack Cardophiles that IGMS is in trouble. I just never bothered to buy them before because I didn't have a credit card to pull out, plus they make you choose your state from that little drop down menu [Wink] .

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the Ender-verse shorts and to being introduced to some new authours I hadn't heard of before.

Thanks for the reminder.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Worth it to me. I bought all three issues today; and will recommend it on to a few others. Keep them coming!
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be bias, but IGMS is my favorite SF/F magazine (print or ezine). The stories are better and the cover price is cheaper. Plus the Ender stories are awesome.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
So far, its the only magazine I subscribe to.

ITS MY FAVORITE ONE EVER!!

sorry.

They really are excellent stories, but now I have to go get the First Meetings book,

I'm too poor to support my habit!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasoncc
Member # 9760

- posted      Profile for jasoncc   Email jasoncc         Edit/Delete Post 
can anyone post a link to where i can get this enderverse magazine
Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not enderverse specific, rather a collection of pulp science fiction, edited by Mr. Card and including enderverse stories.

Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to the narration.

I thought it was wonderful. OSC's voice is a delectable baritone, and his diction is impeccable. Loved the voice acting and inflections, too--this was a great bonus.

Buy it!

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
On Sunday night, I lay in bed with the lights out and listened to Mr. Card reading "Cheater" on my mp3 player. I really enjoyed the story, and he's a great reader! I would happily listen to him telling stories for hours [Smile]
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Wow. I wasn't really begging for testimonials - but I don't mind reading them <grin>.

I wish that my "baritone" weren't partly the result of pneumonia ... I'll go back to being a nondescript tenor in a few more weeks.

But at least I'll still be a baritone as I record the Cavil Planter sections of the new recording of Prentice Alvin this Saturday. <grin>

cmc: No relation between the two Han Tzus in the Ender series. It was a horrible coincidence. Believe it or not, I named Han Tzu in Ender's Game solely so his nickname would be Hot Soup. Then I found out afterward that the real pronunciation of "Tzu" sounds nothing like soup.

Then, years later, I met a man in a bookstore in Raleigh (or was it Chapel Hill?) who pointed me to both Li Qing-jao (a woman poet whom he had translated) and the traditional figure Han Fei-tzu. I ended up using both names, without EVER realizing that I had already used Han Tzu in Ender's Game. You see, I don't reread my own work very often (after all, I don't want to be influenced by such a miserable and evil hack writer) and my memory, especially for names, isn't all that good anyway. When I realized what I had done, I was so frustrated: With all the possible names in China, I have to use the same one twice? Aaaargh.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea if this would make any difference, but how about links to IGMS from the forum pages and not just from the homepage?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a good idea. [Smile] When IGMS was brand new, it was the featured link, and therefore accessible from every part of the site.

It would be nice if it still were.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
O You see, I don't reread my own work very often (after all, I don't want to be influenced by such a miserable and evil hack writer) and my memory, especially for names, isn't all that good anyway. When I realized what I had done, I was so frustrated: With all the possible names in China, I have to use the same one twice? Aaaargh. [/QB]
[Big Grin] That made me laugh.

A lot.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Believe it or not, I named Han Tzu in Ender's Game solely so his nickname would be Hot Soup. Then I found out afterward that the real pronunciation of "Tzu" sounds nothing like soup.

Out of curiosity, what does "Tzu" sound like in Mandarin?
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
tzi (tuh suh ih/uh) really fast and harsh.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valantin
Member # 9185

- posted      Profile for valantin   Email valantin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

cmc: No relation between the two Han Tzus in the Ender series. It was a horrible coincidence. Believe it or not, I named Han Tzu in Ender's Game solely so his nickname would be Hot Soup. Then I found out afterward that the real pronunciation of "Tzu" sounds nothing like soup.

Well,it's not exactly the same.I think so.Just some parts.We never call Han Fei Tzu as Han Tzu.
Strange,but It's the fact.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.