FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Who controlled whom?

Author Topic: Who controlled whom?
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Who do you think controlled the other? Peter or Valentine?

Edit: Don't say "They controlled eachother." That is the easy way out. If you think they controlled eachother to some degree, who moreso?

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Peter thought he controlled Valentine and she just let him continue to think that? I hesitate to say that she controlled him because the way I read the character she wouldn't have wanted to.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Valentine was in control of the relationship, but I do not think she controled Peter. I think, though, that she realized Peter was going to try to control her, and so she took actions to prevent that, which required manipulating Peter in several ways.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Peter was definetly trying to control Val, but Val just didn't care who was controlling whom. Peter got her to write as Demosthenes, and she did, so he thought he was controlling her, but she just liked doing it. She did it for the heck of it, and she liked the idea of it, but she had no problem breaking away from Peter when she wanted to. Val told herself she didn't WANT to control Peter, and she left because she didn't want to risk him getting more control over her. Because she knew he was going to become a very major politician.

Val's just not the kind of person who cares about controlling others to get power. She just wanted to leave Peter and be with Ender, and live happily.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card controls both of them.

Mwahahahahaha!!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Soara. But put simply, Peter controlled Val. LOL
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you rigged the question. Control is rarely about one person holding the reigns over another. People influence each other constantly. There is no doubt that Valentine influenced Peter in massive ways. Peter went from an animal torturing psychopath to a productive leader largely because of Valentine. She just did it with subtlty. Peter lacked this subtlty and so his influence is called control. If I were to rate which was more effective in the long run, I would say Valentine.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I second Flaming Toad on a Stick's comments.

including the evil laugh.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought peters change to altruism was a strange transition throughout the series, I still dont quite understand it. In the beginning of Enders Game I had him pegged to be the next Hitler. At the end of the book he is loved
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I knew a guy once who was amazingly like Peter. He could easily have been another Hitler, or another Stalin. He could be horribly cruel. On the other hand, most of the times he thought his horrid cruelty was just because it would make the world better. Peter realized, finally, that there was a limit to what being unnecessarily cruel would get him. It isn't that he became completely nice. He still did, unsavory, things. He had Bead to do alot of the dirty work for him, and dozens of other agents we'll never even know about. Still, while Peter may have wated the power of running the world, he seemed to understand the responsibilities that come with that power, and that, ultimately, is what made him a good leader.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.