FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Xenocide quote help

Author Topic: Xenocide quote help
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the book with me, and a google search proved unhelpful...i'm looking for the quote about men and women being different species, that the hive queen says to human, i believe. does anyone know the quote or have the book handy?

i've always thought it was so spot-on and i wanted to quote it to my friend here [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that what you're thinking of is this (in its entirety):

"<The strangest thing about humans is the way they pair up, males and females. Constantly at war with each other, never content to leave each other alone. They never seem to grasp the idea that males and females are separate species with completely different needs and desires, forced to come together only to reproduce.>
<Of course you feel that way. Your mates are nothing but mindless drones, extensions of yourself, without their own identity.>
< We know our lovers with perfect understanding. Humans invent an imaginary lover and put that mask over the face and the body in their bed.>
<That is the tragedy of language, my friend. Those who know each other only through symbolic representations are forced to imagine each other. And because their imagination is imperfect, they are often wrong.>
<That is the source of their misery.>
<And some of their strength, I think. Your people and mine, each for our own evolutionary reasons, mate with vastly unequal partners. Our mates are always, hopelessly, our intellectual inferiors. Humans mate with beings who challenge their supremacy. They have conflict between mates, not because their communication is inferior to ours, but because they commune with each other at all.>"

I just copied the whole thing, not sure which part you wanted. [Smile]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has some amazing quotes...I just finished reading Sarah and found 2 great ones in there:

"As the sun governs the Earth, so are there greater stars that govern the sun, until you come to the one star that governs them all, and there..is the place where God dwells."

"God can make of anyone exactly what they are willing to become, and nothing better, just as the Enemy can make of us only as wicked a creature as we are willing to become."

I have hundreds of other quotes from him that I love, but these are the most recent two [Smile]

Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
That was exactly the quote, thanks Luet!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The quote from Sarah about the place where God dwells is a paraphrase of the book of Abraham in the LDS scripture called "The Pearl of Great Price."
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.