FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Saints Hardcover....

Author Topic: Saints Hardcover....
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the normal $35 edition going to be available in book stores? Or is this the only place you can get one?

Also, who wants to loan me $35? [Wink]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know, I'd love a hardcopy of that book.. Though I wish it still had the original title. The one I have I got at a used bookstore and it's so ancient that the front pages were already falling out when I bought it.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Would a non-Mormon enjoy it, you think?
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
DDDaysh, I thought that they published A Woman of Destiny in that title against Mr. Card's wishes? Isn't that why they reissued it as Saints?

I could be wrong, since I heard that second-hand...personally, I like the title Saints better. And I don't know what was going on with the cover of A Woman of Destiny.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Saints is enjoyed by Mormons and non-Mormons alike, but it is useful to have a little bit of knowledge of Mormon history and doctrine; however, it is quite readable even if you don't. I can't wait to get my copy of the hardcover; it was promised to me as a gift so I know I'll get it sometime. I adore the new cover art--one of the only situations I've EVER heard of where the author gets to choose the cover art. Very rare in the publishing world, I'm told.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Saints (with that title, *grin*) is among Card's best books, for readers both Mormon and non. [Smile]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Card wanted "Woman of Destiny" as the title or not, but as a woman, I liked it!!! It made me feel closer to her, because sometimes it feels like destiny is pulling us all sort of different ways. On the other hand, "Saints" is probably more appropriate since the book doesn't really just focus on Dinah.

As far as whether or not non-mormons would like it, I LOVED it, and I'm not mormon. Actually, reading that book is what finally clued me into the fact that the Homecomming series was based on the Book of Mormon. At one part they have Charlie basically summarizing some of what he read in the Book of Mormon and I'm like "Hey, that sounds alot like Nafai and his brothers... oh... DUH" Of course, then I had to go find a random copy of the Book of Mormon on my overstuffed bookshelves (I have three with five shelves each) and try to read it for myself, at least enough to verify that there really WAS a similarity. Anyway, it's a great book!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
who is publishing this? those prices are pretty much in line with the magnificent Subterranean press but they don't usually do leatherbound.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
The publisher is Subterranean in conjunction with Hatrack.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idris
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for Idris   Email Idris         Edit/Delete Post 
I want it not only because I want a limited edition and for it to be signed for my birthday present.

but I have not read it, I love orson but want to know if someone who doesn't know much about american history or mormonism (i enjoyed alvin maker a lot if that hellps)

will it be worth it for me?

Or should I wait until a book I know ill love comes in a special edition with customized signings?

Plus since its limited will it be taken down as soon as their amount has been sold? (im basically asking if there are definetly some left for this december release)

I just want to know whether its worth it, im sure there will be other collectable books in the shop in the future, would I be better off waiting for something I know I love?

[ October 15, 2006, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Idris ]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

As soon as the limiteds we have alloted to the Hatrack Store from Subterranean have been sold, we will take that edition down.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it going to be released in book stores? (Not the limited edition one, the normal one.)
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

The normal trade edition will be available for stores to order.
Idris
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for Idris   Email Idris         Edit/Delete Post 
cheers kkacard,

do you have any future plans for other llimited edition hardback books?

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Subterranean's newsletter and website they're already sold out of their copies of limited and lettered versions. So if you want a limited edition you'll need to buy it from hatrack or a specialty store like Clarkesworld books.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to know anything about anything to enjoy Saints. I include within the book all the information you need to know in order to receive the story.

Since I have the habit of doing that with the worlds that I make up out of nothing, it was easy to do it with a world that happened to have existed.

My father-in-law, who was Assistant LDS Church Historian at the time I was working on Saints, assembled all the research materials for me - what would have taken me years, he could do just by looking around his office <grin>. Because of his superb work, I was able to get the history so correct that even now, many years later, as new biographies etc. are coming out, my interpretation of the events in Joseph Smith's life and in the early history of the Church (and, of course, of the industrial revolution in Manchester) remain uncontradicted. I'm breathing a sigh of relief about that!

Now, Empire, which is set in 2008, runs a grave risk of being contradicted by history before it even comes out! That's because I posit a Republican Speaker of the House - but if the House changes hands in the election of 2006, my novel will be <sob> WRONG.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel List
Member # 5372

- posted      Profile for Ariel List   Email Ariel List         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to have any preknowledge whatsoever to enjoy Saints.

However, if you read the entire Homecoming series first, you appreciate both far more.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Historically accurate it may be. But I also loved the interpretation of Joseph Smith. So many in Mormon culture people seem to portray him as so overly-pious that he's practically inhuman. Heck, I can see why they would need to do stuff like that in official Church videos, but still...

I'm just saying that I really liked Mr. Card's interpretation.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.