FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Advice for a Sci-Fi new comer

Author Topic: Advice for a Sci-Fi new comer
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
I hold OSC 100% responsible for turning me into a sci-fi geek since first reading Ender's Game over two years ago. Since then I've been making my way through all of OSC's books as well as starting with the classics of Sci-Fi (being late bloomer to the genre), but I'm figuring out that there are several of the "classics" that I really dont enjoy at all and find quite boring, even though I really WANT to like them. But I've found that I've loved almost all of the OSC books I've read.

So my question is this, what sci-fi authors are most like OSC in their writing and characters? Which ones do you think are comparable?

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne McCaffery is awesome, in a unique way... Reading her books are like reading histories... You can stop in any particular place, but you always, Always, pick the book back up.

I hate Asimov's empire and foundation books, and I know what you mean. OSC was my first Sci-fi guy too.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Neal Stephenson is kind of like Mr. Card, in a way. I would recommend eating through all of Heinlein's books too, because there is bound to be something you will like there.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you've read any Dan Simmons yet, but if not, dig in.

And if you've only read Aasimov's "Foundation" series, allow me to recommend "The Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun". Those were the best sci-fi/detective books I've ever read.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IComeAnon87
Member # 9627

- posted      Profile for IComeAnon87   Email IComeAnon87         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm personally a big fan of Arthur C Clark. His writing is more geared towards truly SCIENCE fiction. Alot of future stuff and technology advancement which Card does some stuff with.
The 2001 a Space Odyssey series (2001,2010,2061,3001) are spectacular and I'm involved in the 'Rendezvous with Rama' series right now.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think some of the classic SF novels were boring then I wouldn't recommend Arthur Clarke at all. I think you would think they were boring. Definitely try out Philip K Dick. Especially his short story collections. He is probably my favorite short story writer ever. And his novels were great too. Also, while it's not really SF, try Kurt Vonnegut if you've never tried him. I recommend starting with "Cat's Cradle". And last one: Octavia Butler. Very, very good if you can get into them. Try "Wild Seed" from her.

But I recommend PKD the most. Something about your post tells me you'd like him. Pick up one the five volumes of his Complete Collections and see what you think.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The closest author to OSC, in terms of style, is Ray Bradbury.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh.

You know, I never thought of that before, but I think I agree.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
I respectfully disagree with you Gaal...I'm not a big fan of "classic" science fiction, but I absolutely loved Rendezvous with Rama. It's one of my favorite books. In fact it was the first sci-fi book I read followed by my addiction with Orson Scott Card. Just differences of opinion I guess. I second Kurt Vonnegut though!
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ya'll!

I do enjoy PKD, Chuck Palainick (sp) and Kurt Von.

Dune bored me to tears. I liked Foundation but again, parts were too slow and I didnt care about the characters enough.

What about Greg Bear, Ben Bova, or Robert Charles Wilson? Feel free to continue with suggestions. :-)

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it killed me to make it throught Dune too. Not a big fan of Hebert needless to say. It's funny how some of the classics can seem so boring to some people.

Personally, I love Neil Gaiman...going away from the Sci-fi genre and into the modern fantasy genre, but his books are amazing..I highly recommend American Gods by him and the somewhat of a sequel, Anansi Boys.

Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find any of the SF authors mentioned to be Card-like. Maybe a style similarity with Bradbury.

I'd say try the most popular books by each author, and you'll discover which ones you like. Here's a partial list (including some authors I *don't* like).

Asimov: The Caves of Steel, or Foundation (different styles)
Clarke: 2001, Rendezvous with Rama
Niven & Pournelle: Ringworld (Niven), The Mote in God's Eye (both), Janissaries (Pournelle, w someone else IIRC)
LeGuin: The Lathe of Heaven
Bradbury: The Martian Chronicles
Herbert: Dune
Heinlein: Stranger in a Strange Land; I couldn't stand it, but The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress was OK
Vance: Lyonesse, or The Dragon-Masters

...but then you could probably just look them up on Amazon and pick one of the first few books.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
You know, I never thought of that [style similarities between Bradbury and Card] before, but I think I agree.
It was the weirdest sensation-- I was listening to 'The Illustrated Man' collection and all the time, I'm thinking, "Dude, I swear this story is familiar, but I've never heard it before!" It bugged me and bugged me-- until I remembered that OSC had said that he was a great fan of Bradbury, and PING!

Epiphany.

Which is not to say that Card is detrimentally derivative. Just that if you enjoyed Card, you'd probably enjoy Bradbury because they have similar voices.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've envjoyed some of Bradbury, but if Card is a derrivative, then I'd definitely have to say the style got better the more it was purified. Bradburry seems too... I don't know, straitforward maybe, or dry... I'm not sure.

My favorite Sci-Fi book that wasn't written by Card is definitely Dune.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Ursula LeGuin's stories are never boring... LOL
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dinzy
Member # 6858

- posted      Profile for dinzy   Email dinzy         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of OSC's books are not scifi and are just as enjoyable as the ones that are. For me, I think it has a lot to do with the quantity and quality of dialog in his books. For some reason I seem to enjoy books with a lot of dialog far more than I enjoy ones that are narratives or overly descriptive.

If you want to read good books with good dialog then I recommend George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books. They are fantasy books, but they are all about the characters. They are pretty long but you could certainly get through the four that are written before the 5th book comes out. There are a ton of characters in these books and they are very well developed. The story is told through Point of View chapters. Each book has about 8 or so characters who each get their own, relatively short, chapters throughout the book that tell the story of a day or so in their life. The story also has a lot of twists and turns that tend to make you think WTF every once in a while.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I... third (?) Vonnegut. he is a must-read.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Celery.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Key lime.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you, RynoW1? Just an estimate, no need to give your real age if you don't want to.

I'm asking because I've read and reread Dune. The first time I was around 12-13 and I was into the battles that abounded in the first book, but wasn't very impressed with the rest of it. I read the rest of the series as they came out in translation, but until I was 17 or so my favorite book was still the first one, as I couldn't get in all the deep stuff from the sequels.

Now I'm 25 and my favorites are God Emperor and Heretics, and I have a newfound respect for Dune Messiah too. Maybe it's just not a good time for you to read them. :shrug: Give them a second try sometime, I hope you'll enjoy them more. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nvyseal
Member # 9804

- posted      Profile for nvyseal   Email nvyseal         Edit/Delete Post 
try some of the original Orson Wells stories like the original Time Machine very interesting how Hollywood changed it a bit , but then what hasnt hollywood changed?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.