FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Just a Question for Mr. Card

Author Topic: Just a Question for Mr. Card
nvyseal
Member # 9804

- posted      Profile for nvyseal   Email nvyseal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I am quite new to this message board and have very little knowledge of everything discussed, but I am not, however new to the Ender's Game series, which I have been reading for quite some time. I don't know if this idea has ever been brought up and I apologize if it has, but have you ever thought of a prequal to Ender's Game describing our first contact with the Formics, or an extension on the series to describe the Descoladers, and what type of race they are? Just a thougt.... and thank you for any time that you put into this subject.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
He wrote a short story for the intergalactic medicine show online magazine about Mazer immediately after the first Formic War.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teancum
Member # 9801

- posted      Profile for Teancum           Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a prequal, I havent heard of it. But I personally would like to know what happened when they invaded the first and second time. Oh by the way, does anyone know the time span from now to the first invasion, the first invasion to the second, and/or the second to the third?

-Teancum

Posts: 10 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nvyseal
Member # 9804

it would be my guess that between the second and thrd invasion to be about 60 years, for the simple fact that mazer has aged (or atleast looks aged) about 50 or so years, and in one of the last few chapters of the book Graff explains to Ender that he thought like everyone else that the buggers just learned about thier defeat 25 years ago. Giving the impression that the war had been over for quite some time and showin that its been at minimum 25 years before the third war.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
In case you didn't see it, OSC said this in another thread on the first page...

quote:
The only additional books planned are a book after Children of the Mind, which involves the children who voyaged with Bean and the Descolada planet, and a book about Ender himself - the first planet he goes to after the one he governed in EG, where he found the last hive queen.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazer was sent out on a fast ship so that relativistic effects would keep him young enough to help out when he did. You can't draw any conclusions at all about the time between the two invasions based on Mazer's age.

As far as prequels are concerned, there are three prequel stories in First Meetings: In the Enderverse:
  • "The Polish Boy" is about Ender's father as a kid.
  • "Teacher's Pest" is about how Ender's parents met.
  • "The Investment Counselor" is about when Ender first met Jane.
And if you go to The Intergalactic Medicine Show, you can buy the three issues of the magazine which have come out so far. Each one includes an Enderverse story:Good reading!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teancum
Member # 9801

Thanks for the info starLisa. I think Ill check that out.

-Teancum

Posts: 10 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nvyseal
Member # 9804

there is a link on one of the threads here, cant remember which one, that takes u to a enders game movie description poster that says 40 years after the second invasion..... wondered if anyone remembers where that link was
nvyseal
Member # 9804

i take that comment back, i just started to read enders game again (for about the millionth time) and discoverd in the chapter call graff, graff said to ender"But we dont have him now, Ender. Weve scraped together everything mankind could produce, a fleet that makes the oone they sent against us last time seem like a bunch of kids playing in a swimming pool. But it might not be enough, even so. Because in the eighty years since the last war, theyve had as much time to prepare as we have.
Teancum
Member # 9801

Ah so its about 80 years between the 2nd and 3rd invasion. I never noticed that before. Thanks.

-Teancum

talsmitde
Member # 9780

- posted      Profile for talsmitde   Email talsmitde         Edit/Delete Post 
That fits the timeline nicely--didn't Mazer say that his voyage was two years subjective time but fifty years objective? I haven't read Mazer in Prison yet, but that's what I remember from Ender's Game. That would age him just right, and have him back in time to meet up with Graff as the IF is looking at John Paul.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.