FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » When were the short stories in First Meetings first published?

Author Topic: When were the short stories in First Meetings first published?
JackTheGhoul
Member # 9837

- posted      Profile for JackTheGhoul   Email JackTheGhoul         Edit/Delete Post 
It's for a report in school, but the only one I know for sure is "Teacher's Pest" was in 2003.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
There were two editions of First Meetings, one created for EnderCon, and TOR's edition, which came out later. "The Polish Boy" was written for the first edition, and appeared there first; "Teacher's Pest" was written for the TOR edition, and appeared there first.

I can't for the life of me remember where "Investment Counselor" was first published - but it probably says on the copyright page of the book. And the original Ender's Game novelette was published in the August 1977 issue of Analog magazine.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, from the copyright page of the 2003 TOR edition:

As Scott said, "The Polish Boy" was first published in the first version of First Meetings, in 2002.

"Teacher's Pest" is of course copyright 2003.

"Investment Counselor" has a copyright of 2000, and was published in Far Horizons.

[edited for a silly misspelling]

[ October 31, 2006, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeterno
Member # 9833

- posted      Profile for aeterno   Email aeterno         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been 3 years already, yet I still haven't found it in foreign bookstores in Indonesia *sigh*
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to have the first signed copy of the EnderCon version, personalized appropriately. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that makes me cool. Somewhere.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife just finished Polish Boy and Teacher's Pest and had a different take then I did. She was disappointed at how different Ender's parents seem. They seemed so smart in those stories, and seemed so ignorant of what was happening in their family in Ender's Game (in regards to the cruel young Peter). I'm sure it was done on purpose, or we both just missed something.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Wiggins were ignorant about what was happing to their family. I think that there wasn't any thing they could do about it.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wild_karrde
Member # 8895

- posted      Profile for wild_karrde   Email wild_karrde         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Shadow series you can see how they really knew what was going on most of the time. Keep in mind that EG is from Ender's POV so we see his parents through his eyes, and later Val's.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wild_karrde:
In the Shadow series you can see how they really knew what was going on most of the time. Keep in mind that EG is from Ender's POV so we see his parents through his eyes, and later Val's.

I'll have to re-read the Shadow series, I don't remember that too well.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.