FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The morality of killing. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The morality of killing.
Naitsabes
Member # 9875

- posted      Profile for Naitsabes   Email Naitsabes         Edit/Delete Post 
Right so you mean that had there not been a law against killing that many people would kill. I may have miswrote my comment. People are detered from killing because of the death penalty but just as many people are detered from the death penalty as life in jail. So why choose the alternative that is irreversible and more expensive? Life in jail is reversable, cheaper and has the same detering effect.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So why choose the alternative that is irreversible and more expensive? Life in jail is reversable, cheaper and has the same detering effect.
This is what's confusing me: where did I express a preference for the death penalty? I simply provided examples of punishment deterring criminal behavior. In fact, my most concrete example was about jail, not death.

If you're making a generic point, that's fine, but it looks like you've been responding directly to me, hence my confusion.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheLastGunra
Member # 9860

- posted      Profile for TheLastGunra           Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping them in jail would cost more I believe, like someone before me said...

9mm

Cruel and unusual punishment is really the only punishment that would work with such people that commit murder. Punishment should be swift and just, be rid of this waiting and life sentences, a criminal shouldn't spend his entire life behind bars for murder, he should be killed! A person that kills another unjustly has no place in society, and he must be removed from society by death. Don't lock him away to spend his days behind bars, living off our tax money, just hang or shoot, or lethaly inject him. The means of which you rid of these criminals is of no importance, just send them to their death and perhaps this swift punishment will deter future crime...

Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naitsabes
Member # 9875

Oh, I think I misunderstood your statement. Sorry.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cruel and unusual punishment is really the only punishment that would work with such people that commit murder. Punishment should be swift and just
Incidentally, I imagine most people would probably say that "cruel and unusual punishment" is the opposite of "just."

quote:
A person that kills another unjustly has no place in society
"Unjustly" is a pretty hard term to define. Even if it can be adequately defined, I highly doubt it could be agreed upon, and that presents a challenge when trying to sentence someone to death.

quote:
The means of which you rid of these criminals is of no importance
I take this to mean that you believe that once a person has committed a crime, he forfeits any right to humane treatment. If that's what you are saying, then I completely disagree with your position. I strongly believe that even the world's most dangerous criminals are still human and are thus entitled to at least some minimum level of humane treatment, even in death. This is also largely why I don't believe torture is an acceptable method of gathering information.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naitsabes
Member # 9875

The Bush administration is bending the meaning of torture to an extent that some people believe that what they do prisoners in Guantanamo is not torture. I find that sick.
TheLastGunra
Member # 9860

- posted      Profile for TheLastGunra           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well I see where you are coming from camus but note that when I wrote that I was thinking of how far our justice system has fallen, so I may blown my original idea out of proportion... I hope we can still be friends...???
Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.