FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Dear Mr. Card, please don't kill me.

Author Topic: Dear Mr. Card, please don't kill me.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if anyone has taken a peek at the other side, but I'm working on an Ender's Game trailer for my motion graphics class.

More details here.

Now, I say "Please don't kill me" because I know Mr. Card is very touchy about copyrights. I just want to let you know that I am just doing this for educational purposes and nothing else (it's my grade!)
If it's ok with the corresponding authorities, I'll post it on YouTube for a short while so people can see what our efforts can do. Lot's of people on Hatrack are helping, it's a Hatrack community project of sorts. [Smile]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to request that Mr. Card not kill me. There are so many things I've never done, never seen. Mr. Card*, if you happen to have been contemplating murdering me, please reconsider. I'm too young to die!

*or anybody else

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If you promise to spare those two, I can give you a list of people you CAN murder.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that. Please halt your murderous rampage, sir, and spare us, your loyal fans. [Wink]
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's response may well have nothing whatsoever to do with his feelings toward or opinion of AoD, but rather driven entirely by his own legal obligations (and how that affects his family). Just a warning that things might play out this way, and if so, to be generous in our interpretations of our host's response.

I'm going to whistle the initial post so that it gets flagged for attention, just in case that hadn't been done yet.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't bring attention to yourself, I think you should be safe. In another thread he basically said he was going to pretend that he didn't know about the fan films on youtube.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be a good idea to delete this thread then.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(my apologies if my attempt to help ends up hurting [Frown] )
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Nonsence OSC realizes the untapped potential amongst us Hatrackers, he will organize us into the well trained killing machine of an army we ought to be. ALL WILL TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT OF THE HATRACKERS! (not particularly attached to that name feel free to improve)
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
(my apologies if my attempt to help ends up hurting [Frown] )

It's ok. I doubt it will since I don't see how it would infringe copyrights. My school is VERY touchy about those too and they seem to be ok with it.

The only way that I would put it up online, I've decided against YouTube, would be on my own personal portfolio. I hope that's ok with the corresponding people, I'll make sure I ask for permission to post it online ANYWHERE before I actually do so.
I don't think that actually creating this would be unlawful though.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by I Am The War Chief:
Nonsence OSC realizes the untapped potential amongst us Hatrackers, he will organize us into the well trained killing machine of an army we ought to be. ALL WILL TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT OF THE HATRACKERS! (not particularly attached to that name feel free to improve)

Hey, now THERE's an idea.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My school is VERY touchy about those too and they seem to be ok with it.
Well, there's fair use, and there's attribution, and then there is representing that a film is being made by someone other than the studio that has purchased the rights to make a film.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
In the general spirit of the thread, I'd also like to ask that OSC not kill me. I have infinite potential to benefit the world, and in return for my life could offer my services in, ah, pest control to Mr Card.

Seriously, you can buy assassinations wholesale these days.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
quote:
My school is VERY touchy about those too and they seem to be ok with it.
Well, there's fair use, and there's attribution, and then there is representing that a film is being made by someone other than the studio that has purchased the rights to make a film.
Due credit will be given, so it won't be the latter. I'll make it clear that the purpose of this is just to create a fan made trailer to a movie for a school assignment.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously, you can buy assassinations wholesale these days.
They just have to be asked. They always have to be asked.

edit: I'd like to add that, while I can't really give any good reasons why Uncle Orson shouldn't wound or at least wing me, I would appreciate if the form his rampaging blood-lust takes when directed towards me were one of the less than lethal ones.

[ November 16, 2006, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt know Mr. Card was so very murderous.

The most I suspected was that he was a cereal killer.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
I didnt know Mr. Card was so very murderous.

The most I suspected was that he was a cereal killer.

Good, because I want to call a hit on the rabbit from Trix. That thing is annoying as heck.

I want his head on a silver platter.

tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Neh, he mostly is after Fruity Pebbles. The way Fred continues to pummel barney for just a bowl of cereal. Yeesh!
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend you put a big disclaimer on the first screen along the lines of "Completely unrelated to the Warner Brothers film--for educational purposes only." If you post it to YouTube, you may run into trouble less with OSC than with the Time Warner legal department (they're the producers on board, right?)
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
if mr card says anything on this one way or another he loses plausible deniability basically he cant sue over something he didnt know about. . . by not posting here he is pretty sure he has never read this [Wink]
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Let's hope he never does then. [Razz]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
If Orson Scott Card killed me, he'd kill me with a deer--
Shove my neck into its horns, leave a grin from ear to ear!

Or maybe he would sing a song so horribly off key
I'd eviscerate myself to avoid Scott's warbling C.

Planetary death, a blunderbluss attack;
Just to rid the 'verse of me, and get me off his back.

A thousand deaths, most painful, by stomping or by oil,
Or by flipper-handed babies, or by Bean's most deadly foil.

He might feel guilt, and so at my graveside speak;
And write a book about my life to make the knees go weak.

But post-death does not matter, no, not a whit to me;
I'm happy for the privilege to be killed by OSC.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

Rilly now. I 'spect the wife and kiddies might object just the very tiniest tad.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never warbled a C in my life. Middle C I absolutely ACE. And high C is a half-step higher than the highest note I've ever warbled.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I'll just note the fact that those who warble are rarely conscious of it.

Or if they ARE conscious of it, they think the warbling makes them sound professional.

(I've never actally heard OSC sing. I've seen pictures of him singing, though. :-) )

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

I think warbling is the better of the sounds.

I warble like beethoven must have warbled like.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Or if they ARE conscious of it, they think the warbling makes them sound professional.

(I've never actally heard OSC sing. I've seen pictures of him singing, though. :-) )

To be fair, you've seen pictures of OSC with his mouth open. You don't really know for sure if he was singing. [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

That's true.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he was lip synching?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My rule of thumb for avoiding legal snares: never do ANYTHING without express written permission of Major League Baseball.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out, OSC is coming up with his next book title "The Warbler" [Smile]
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be a long lost sequel to "Songmaster."

*shudders* Hm. Maybe not. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaMuse
Member # 9659

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R.,

That poem was GREAT! lol I especially like the bit about the flipper-handed babies ~shudder~ that was the most disturbing story I've EVER read! yikes!
[ROFL]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
If Orson Scott Card killed me, he'd kill me with a deer--
Shove my neck into its horns, leave a grin from ear to ear!

Or maybe he would sing a song so horribly off key
I'd eviscerate myself to avoid Scott's warbling C.

Planetary death, a blunderbluss attack;
Just to rid the 'verse of me, and get me off his back.

A thousand deaths, most painful, by stomping or by oil,
Or by flipper-handed babies, or by Bean's most deadly foil.

He might feel guilt, and so at my graveside speak;
And write a book about my life to make the knees go weak.

But post-death does not matter, no, not a whit to me;

That was quite moving. I have a little tear in my eye.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You people are all SICK!!!!

[Evil Laugh]

Gotta love it . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Why, thank you, MommaMuse.

You can find more of my poetry on Strongverse.org and also on my own ugly website, Lord of All Fools.

jeeshkid
Member # 9885

- posted      Profile for jeeshkid           Edit/Delete Post 
AoD, what is yours called? there are alot of enders game fan films on youtube.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, my mind keeps trying to fit your little poem to the tune of Jayne's song. It starts to work, and then really doesn't.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

There's an idea.
Sibyl
Member # 10079

- posted      Profile for Sibyl   Email Sibyl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's called vibrato.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
can I put my name on the please don't kill list too?
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't this topic originaly about a copy wright issue? How did we get on singing? Its funny just wierd.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Yeah, whatever happened to the actual trailer?
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
It's called vibrato.
I call it annoying.

[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.