FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How do you post on Hatrack (personal preference)

Author Topic: How do you post on Hatrack (personal preference)
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hatrack is the only forum I frequent, and when I post, I am always scared my poor grammar will rear its ugly head. If I am posting a one-liner, I will go with it; otherwise, I will open MS Outlook and type then copy to forum. I’m a chicken, I know.

Even this post, I started on the forum, but I got scared with the lack of spell-check and grammar-check.

I am not one of those people who have taken to what I call “IM Lingo”. I don’t use phrases like lol, gr8, etc. (etc. is not one for those of you who don’t know). I don’t use smiley faces either. I don’t look down on anyone who does use IM Lingo, to each his own, but I don’t feel the lack of a grade from a teacher should permit poor grammar.

English was never my strong subject, Math is king to me, and I always put too many commas into my writings, oh well! Lol 

What do you do?

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Not even worry about it. . . if someone see's a mistake they point it out with a caring noogie and point in the right direction.
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't find this post to be unreadable at all, so I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

I've never seen anybody go entirely grammar-nazi here, so even if you make a few faux pas you should be all right. [Smile]

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just repeat that you have nothing to worry about. [Smile]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worried about it. If you're afraid of it, though, grab Firefox 2.0 -- which includes a built-in spellcheck function for form submissions.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Or get a mac with OSX, which has an OS-wide spell checker.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not being helpful.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
"I've never seen anybody go entirely grammar-nazi here"

I have, to the point of one or two people even playfully saying that is what they are. On a more serious note, I have seen the "grammar-nazi" come out as part of an argument; such as if you can't even spell then why should I take you seriously? The more lighthearted the post, the more joking the correction. The more serious the post, the more hostile the response.

It isn't widespread, but it does happen.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Tom, I don't really worry about it. If I see an error in a post I've made and have the time I'll often correct it, though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm unsure of something or it doesn't look right, I check it with IEspell and, if necessary, OneLook, either before or after posting.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone out there that is into "retro-teck" A hand-held Instant Spelling Dictionary published by Career Institute does it for me.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would we need anything? It's not like anyone here ever misspeels anything, right?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
It Deons't Mteatr waht oderr the ltetres are in, as lnog as the fsrit and lsat lteetr are the smae. Ist Hrdlay as ipomratnat as you tinhk.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I've fought an urge to reply to the question in the title by posting "By typing words into the little white box and clicking on the Add Reply button."

So apparently I post on Hatrack by trying and sometimes failing to suppress my natural urge to be a smart-a#$.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes? [Wink]

And Orinoco, don't make me pull out my links proving that whole thing is a fraud and a myth. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It works for me, rivka. (Part of it may be context, though.)

I also read upside down and backwards and mirror writing and all kinds of things, though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If you are saying you can still decode it, I believe you. If you are saying you can read it just as easily as if it were written properly, I don't.

And if anyone cites that nonexistent "study," I will laugh like zees! [Laugh]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I won't say as easily. Almost as easily. A few words give me pause sometimes.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Sometimes? [Wink]

[Razz] If I didn't I'd have 30,000 posts. Is 1/3 of the time sometimes?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hey, I winkied!
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a blackberry.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people aren't trying to nitpick you. Anyone who does, I can only say "I have beheld the dangling modifier on your soul!"
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to spell-check, because, when I did not, that was a major source of ammunition used against me.

It all comes down to rather people like you or not. If they do and you use capital letters and periods and not too much 133+sp33k, you are fine. If they don't, they don't care how you spell, but they will use anything you misspell against you.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll pretty much echo what most people have said: Don't worry about it. But, if you're going to take part in some of the serious discussions, its generally a good idea to type a well thought out post, and I know that when I see a ton of flipped letters and capitalization and spelling errors, I tend to think that the post isn't as well thought out. If it looks like it was just cobbled together then I tend to assume it was. A few errors are inevitable, but as long as you're not typing blind you should be alright. For the vast majority of posts, it doesn't matter at all. Peruse through some of Blayne Bradley's posts [Wink] . If you do better than him, you'll be alright.

(and you know I think you're awesome Blayne, but ... well, Lythurn? [Wink] )

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It all comes down to rather people like you or not.

Sadly, this is true. But if you think people should like you without ever making an effort to... how shall we say it? I don't want to imply people haven't made such efforts. It's the internet equivalent of showering and wearing matching shoes. You want to be free to be yourself, but at the same time we live in a society.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.