FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Q for OSC Worldwatch. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Q for OSC Worldwatch.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It remains a very open question whether operations in Iraq are achieving or hindering that goal.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom, I'd argue that earning the trust of other nations and not turning the entire world into enemies is part of an American leader's responsibility to his own citizens.
I agree. But the American people still voted for Bush the last time around, so I can only assume it's not a majority opinion.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shnabubula
Member # 9834

- posted      Profile for Shnabubula   Email Shnabubula         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card invisions the world as a scifi novel... I see it more as black comedy
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crocobar
Member # 9102

- posted      Profile for Crocobar   Email Crocobar         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pity the discussion swivels off the original topic of making a credible case for the US doing well in Iraq. I am reading OSC's columns for years. I've probably read most if not all that is easily accessible. I like his presentation and ideas but a lack of factual support bugs me for a while now. I realize that in politics it is impossible to truly understand an issue such as Iraq unless you are involved directly in politics full-time. You have to believe conclusions of people that do so. I admit that OSC's reference to books are mostly wasted on me partially because I cannot afford buying books without strick prioritizing but mainly because reading a book to learn an opinion on a political subject is too big a time commitment while I believe that most of the important information is available online. I would try to support my opinions in that way( not that I am in a position to lecture anyone on online presentations).

OSC is usually doing a good job of discrediting sloppy or outright incorrect arguments that are not properly supported by the evidence. This is something you can do rethorically. Once you go beyond that, however, to make your own suggestions and statements, you have to put up more substantial evidence in your favor than in my opinion OSC is accostomed of doing.

OSC, if that is not too much trouble, give us more facts in support of your ideas (that I personally like and mostly want to agree with but often can't for the reasons above). I know that some things you deeply believe in often seem in no need for careful proof. For example, I feel so about quantum mechanics or relativity yet I realize that they are totally obscure for many people, and I am prepared to prove their validity in essence rigorously to a virtually unprepared listener.

Back to the Iraq war, and how well the US is doing there. Let's try to build the case. One of the simpler OSC's arguments is low casualties compared to other wars. Does anyone know easy-to-use and reliable source of statistics on this? We have to compare all kinds of casualties, not just US military.

Another argument is the opinions of Rumsfeld, other generals and Bush. Is there an easily accessible source?

Iraqis opinion on the US presence and facts of their cooperation with the US military?

Is it possible to understand the amount of the US military needed in Iraq compared to the guerilla forces? This may not be a likeable analogy but Russian army, being in much less organized state than the US army, manages to control Chechnya completely keeping guerillas in caves and killing their leaders regularly. That may be just a matter of numbers. I don't know any but perhaps more troops in Iraq is the solution?

I would really like if somebody bears a task of making a credible case for the Iraq war being not a disaster.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.