FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Just read Treasure Box for the 1st time

Author Topic: Just read Treasure Box for the 1st time
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Found it at my local used paperback bookstore, didn't have it in my collection, and figured yeah why not.

I thought the first 3-4 chapters were incredible. Uncle Orson is always good with characters, but I was in awe of the sister/brother relationship, the interactions with Mom/Dad. It was tremendously moving.

Then it got weird. [Big Grin] Which of course was the purpose of the story. Before it was over, I thought I was reading Stephen King. Not sure if Uncle Orson will want to hear that, but hey...

Overall, I was glad I read it. It was a bit out of the norm for OSC, at least what I've read so far.

Anyone else feel like this was close to a King book, or am I the only one?

I've started reading 'Miracles' now.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS***

IIRC, OSC has said that maybe he went a little to far with that in having it be a story about witches and then make it a ghost story as well.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was awesome in a really creepy way.

Yep, that is very King-like.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as any other OSC I've read. I enjoyed the writing. It was good OSC. But I'm not a fan of that type of story. It was King-like.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not read King, and I'm not interested in reading King, but I enjoyed that story.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Then you may very well enjoy some King, especially his short stories and possibly Rose Madder.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Read some King. Just do it.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I ditto Dr. Strangelove on this one.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, King is not bad. Read 'Four Past Midnight', some really good novellas, with differing varieties.

Basically, I love his non-horror stuff. I only can stomach a few of his horrors (Pet Cementary being the best).

The Green Mile, Stand by Me, and Shawshank Redemption??? Come on those are awesome stories!

... anyway, back to OSC. The only book of his that I started and just couldn't get into was 'Pastwatch'. I liked the premise, but for whatever reason couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again soon.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Do try again. I had the same problem of having a hard time getting into it, but once I did, I loved it. It starts out slow but really picks up. There are some pretty sweet little twists.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

Thx Doc, I'll add it back to my list. ;-)
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't ever write the same book twice. So for a book to "seem like Card," it better not seem like my other books. Or I failed.

If Stephen King chooses to imitate me, I can't stop him. <grin>

Seriously: King didn't invent the ghost story. But I've NEVER seen him work with the spirits of the dead, period. If Treasure Box resembles anything, it's probably some of the work of Dean Koontz. But I hadn't started reading Koontz at the time I came up with Treasure Box.

It comes down to this: There's nothing new under the sun.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Do try again. I had the same problem of having a hard time getting into it, but once I did, I loved it. It starts out slow but really picks up. There are some pretty sweet little twists.

Agreed. It's a GREAT book. I just finished it last month, and I loved it, although I also found it hard to get into...initially, at least.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Treasure Box was definitely a bit different from OSC's normal work. But I enjoyed it. I liked Homebody as well. IMO, if it had been a King book, it would have been about 400 pages longer and filled with stuff not important to the story. King's short stories are better, it's almost as if it sets a natural boundary so that he can't ramble on with unimportant stuff.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Stephen King. I loved Treasure Box. They can't be too similar.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hate Stephen King
But he loves you.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
I don't ever write the same book twice. So for a book to "seem like Card," it better not seem like my other books. Or I failed.

Psh. If you wrote differently, you would have to be writing worse, since, in my humble opinion, you're the best sci-fi writer alive today (sorry, but H.G. Wells trumps you. IMO). So I sure hope you always "seem like Card".
stihl1
Member # 1562

quote:

How do you explain Ender's Shadow then?
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Treasure Box for the weird family dynamics and the snark. OSC writes an amazing cat fight [Big Grin] .

King wrote a novel called Bag of Bones that deals with spirits of the dead. It was written after Treasure Box. Coincidence?!?!?

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Member # 9930

- posted      Profile for Tyler   Email Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
quote:

How do you explain Ender's Shadow then?
what are you asking? how does he explain the differences or the similarities? i for one thought the entire 'shadow' series was vastly different from the parallel 'ender' series.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

Ender's Shadow is the same book, more or less, and basically cheapens Ender's Game, imo.
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ender's Game first, but after I read Ender's Shadow, I honestly wasn't sure which was "better". I think Card did succeed in making them substantially different; the basic story structure and some of the scenes were the same, of course (though even then, being from Bean's point of view, there was a whole new wrinkle to our understanding of what was going on) but the actual moral dilemmas faced by Bean and Ender were quite different. The story of how Achilles formed his new family on the street was, I though, pretty powerful as well.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved "Ender's Shadow" and I loved "Ender's Game" and I think the biggest reason you can't say which is better is because they ARE two different books. They follow the same story line, but the issues of importance are ultimately very different. Bean and Ender do not struggle over the same issues, thus the things the books focus on are completely different. That is like saying that if you read the diaries of Grand and Lee you were reading the same book. In fact, Grant and Lee's diaries were probably more similar than the two battleschool books.

Anyway, I found Treasurebox facinating. I thurougly enjoyed it, but I cannot say it is one of my favorite OSC books. For one thing, I don't think it is a book I can re-read very many times, since very much of what made it such a good book was the suspense and surprise. That's not really "usual" in most of what I've read by Card, because half the books I have read by him, I've re-read enough times to have dreams about them.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ender's Shadow is the same book, more or less, and basically cheapens Ender's Game, imo.

<blink> You're...

I was going to say that you're out of your mind, or something like that, but then it occured to me that anyone with such a lack of imagination that seeing a story from a different angle cheapens the original story for him is just going to get all huffy that someone noticed what a whack job he is.

No offense.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
IIRC, OSC has said that maybe he went a little to far with that in having it be a story about witches and then make it a ghost story as well.
I disagree with OSC about that. I think Treasure Box was spot on. Since the main power of the witches was to see the spirits, I didn't see it as going too far, not like trying to have a story about vampires *and* aliens or something. IMO, it was all part of the same singular fantastical element, so it totally worked.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ender's Shadow is a very, very different book from Ender's Game. If you think that they are the same, I think you may have missed the point, which is really a shame because ES is a wonderful book.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Member # 9930

- posted      Profile for Tyler   Email Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

i totally disagree. after reading enders shadow, i was very suprised at how different the entire book is. even the tone OSC writes with is different, sort of... almost easier read. the shadow series seemed more like a simple Tom Clancy story then OSC usual. which i appreciated. i consider it a completly different book, and i applaud OSC specifically for not ruining enders game with useless overlap. generally parallel stories suck, not so with shadow.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

<blink> You're...

I was going to say that you're out of your mind, or something like that, but then it occured to me that anyone with such a lack of imagination that seeing a story from a different angle cheapens the original story for him is just going to get all huffy that someone noticed what a whack job he is.

No offense.

You have every right to disagree with me, that's fine. It doesn't make either one of us a whack job. IMO, which means in my opinion, EG was a great book and fine in its own right. ES took everything that was great about EG, and told you it didn't happen that way. Particularly the fact that it was this one little boy, Andrew, that went up against the system, and excelled above and beyond what everyone's expectations were. Ender was the hero in the book. It set the tone for the other books in that series, in which everything revolves around him as the hero figure. 15 years later, we get another book that tells us it wasn't in fact a 10 year old that outsmarted everyone, it was the smarter 6 year old that helped behind the scenes and set the stage for Ender. Which cheapens the book, for me. I'm sure if I read ES first I might look at everything differently. But I didn't, and I can't take ES as a seperate story in its own right. EG was fine, the Ender universe was fine without another dip into the barrel. I believe in this case, less was more, and I lost a lot of respect for OSC for going back to the Ender's universe well to write these stories. Which are no where near as good as the first 3 books in the original series.

Berate me if you must, but that's the way I see it. I have no problem with you seeing it otherwise. But my comment came from the fact that OSC said he tries not to write the same story twice, and in fact I think he did write EG twice. Second time around the details were different and the kid was younger, but it was the same story as EG and I don't believe EG needed re-writing. It was fine the first time.

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well to address your issues I would say that Ender's Shadow did not say it was really Bean that did everything. All Bean really did in relation to Ender is come up with Ender's roster and in Ender's Game Ender notices the abilities of his armies at one point and wonders wheather it is his fantastic abilities as a commander or wheather he was given an exceptional army to begin with. Ender's Shadow gives us the answer which is both.

Also Bean looks at life completely different than Ender. Ender knew how people worked and how to lead them, Bean was brilliant but could not interact well with peers. He could never be the commander that Ender was.

Finally the look at how children act towards eachother in a completely parentless situation where they fight for survival on the streets of Roterdam was terribly interesting and eye opening.

Now that Ive said all that i'm going to get back onto the main stream thread about Treasure box.

It was definatly more Dean Koontz than Steven King. Paranormal but within guidelines and cleaner than King's novels.

Now onto my stoning. Im going to go out on a limb and say that my two favorite authors are Orson Scott Card and Stephen King. They write very differently but have one similarity that makes them both excellent authors. They both make the story around the characters, not the characters around the story. The reason Stephen King is so good at horror is that the reader truly cares about what happens to the characters in his novels. And in Orson Scott Card's books most of the books ride on the characters. Try looking at Ender's Game without Ender in it. There is nothing left.

So with that said please don't hate me for comparing Orson Scott Card to Stephen King. [Big Grin]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.