FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Speaker Series and Rendezvous with Rama

Author Topic: Speaker Series and Rendezvous with Rama
IComeAnon87
Member # 9627

- posted      Profile for IComeAnon87   Email IComeAnon87         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently finished reading the Arthur C Clark "Rama" series and was wondering, in the Speaker series, the alien classification 'raman' (or ramen plural). Is there a connection between the two? Because the classification does seem to fit the Ramans in Clark's original book fairly well.

Clark's Ramans are aliens who are peacefully coexistant and have the ability to communicate with humans. Rama was written in '72, Speaker in '86 so was OSC (or if the man himself is reading, perhaps he can enlighten me) making a reference to the bestselling novel or is it coincidence? A definition of the word I don't know?

Oh and if you haven't read the Rama series, I highly recommend it. Some of Clark's best work (only behind the 2001 series for me).

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ramen is an icelandic word that went along with Varelse, Framling, and Utlanning.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frozenoak
Member # 9454

- posted      Profile for Frozenoak   Email Frozenoak         Edit/Delete Post 
Are those proper names or is there a meaning behind them. Maybe I should look that up.

dale

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure there's meaning behind them. I believe that they describe different types of alien or alienation; or better put, how extremely one differs from humans. I could be totally wrong on this though.

By the way, I loved Rendezvous with Rama. It's one of my favorite sci-fi books. I never read Rama II or the other books though. I was always too scared that they would lower my opinion of the series. But then again, how can my opinion of the series be ruined if I've only read one book in it. OK, I'm thinking out loud now so I'll just shut up.

Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

Ah! one more thing while on the subject of Rama...I've always drawn a connection between the spaceship in Lovelock and Rama for some reason. I don't know why, I think I just pictured them as being very similar in my head aside from the fact that the spaceship in Lovelock was much more populated. Anyone else feel this way or am I alone in this?
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Are those proper names or is there a meaning behind them. Maybe I should look that up.
I'm not sure how to reply to this. Have you read Speaker for the Dead? I'll just say that "Ramen" is a discrete lexical item taken from an existing Earth language, and not a borrowing of a morphological derivate of a prior science fiction series.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has made me hungry for reconstituted freeze dried oriental noodles with salty flavorings added.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

quote:
Originally posted by JLM:
This thread has made me hungry for reconstituted freeze dried oriental noodles with salty flavorings added.

mmmmm mmmmmm good!
pooka
Member # 5003

You eat it with the flavor packet?

Heathen.

hatrkr81
Member # 9317

the best way to eat them is dry with the flavor packet [Wink]
Frozenoak
Member # 9454

- posted      Profile for Frozenoak   Email Frozenoak         Edit/Delete Post 
dry with the flavor packet in hot water. Like crackers and tea or something.
Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IComeAnon87
Member # 9627

- posted      Profile for IComeAnon87   Email IComeAnon87         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I'll just say that "Ramen" is a discrete lexical item taken from an existing Earth language, and not a borrowing of a morphological derivate of a prior science fiction series. [/QB]

Well in that case does anyone know the definition of Ramen or Rama? The similarity is definitly there so what would Ramen transalte to in English?

Oh the food Ramen is spectacular, especially for me, the poor college student. CostCo has the best deal... a 36 pack for $4. Feed me for a whole semester...

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.