FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lovelock Monkey Commentary

Author Topic: Lovelock Monkey Commentary
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mind is a scientist who works with monkeys, and I had her read Lovelock. Here's her commentary:

quote:
Capuchins don't build nests.
And even on the best of days, capuchins don't poop pellets. It always splatters (and is happily picked up, rolled around in their hands, patted against walls, and finally offered to me. Thanks.)
Capuchins don't eat bananas by the dozen. One is more than plenty for an entire day (they're only small monkeys)
On the other hand, they never mentioned urine washing. Capuchins pee on their hands and then rub their hands on the soles of their feet. So I wouldn't let a capuchin near my food either.

There you have it. OSC's going to have to do more research for the sequel!
Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But was the... uh... other behavior accurate?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
*hem!
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like capuchins would need significant engineering before we'd let them in the house.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Mayflower2 was supposed to involve the monkey.

At any rate it seems to me like Mayflower is abandoned. A shame, as it is one of my favorite OSC books. I still find it surprising that an authoritarian like Card wrote such an Bradburian/Orwellian/Randian hero.

This subject is near and dear to me. The controversy over monkey masturbation in Lovelock is what made me first register and post back in Aug '98.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazer:
At any rate it seems to me like Mayflower is abandoned.

No, no, no, no. I hope this is not true.

The cover jacket of my copy of Lovelock CLEARLY states "Book 1 of the Mayflower Trilogy". If OSC/Kidd doesn't write Books 2-3, then this would be false advertisement, no?

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
While both OSC and KK intended to make two more books, it does looks like it may never happen.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shnabubula
Member # 9834

- posted      Profile for Shnabubula   Email Shnabubula         Edit/Delete Post 
monkey's shouldn't be allowed to masturbate underneath beds.... end of story
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.