FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lost Boys - the short story vs. the book

Author Topic: Lost Boys - the short story vs. the book
Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I've read and loved many OSC books. That's why I'm a bit surprised that Lost Boys has been sitting by my bed for several months now, and I can't bring myself to finish reading it (I'm only a 100 pages into the book). I think it's because I already read the short story, and knowing the ending there, I kind of dread reading the full story.

So, I need reasons to go ahead and resume reading that book. Can you tell me how's the book better than the short story? (without spoiling it of course)

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the short story, but not the book.

I read the short story as a teenager, and found it very powerful.

I tried to read the book as a young father, and I found it too painful to get past a few chapters. I've started it more than once, and each time I've put it down and stopped reading.

I'll read it some day. Perhaps I could read it now (it's been a couple of years).

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read both. I read A Changed Man last year and just finished Lost Boys Last week.

The book delves into the life of the father as opposed to the boy. I understand where your coming from though; it was difficult knowing the ending. But really, only the last 75 pages of the 530ish pages is about the mystery of Stevie. This book is, at least from my understanding, about the life of the family. It's well told and even if the mystery of Stevie isn't driving the plot, other things are.

This book has my favorite characters of any OSC book i've read thus far. Lee is physco and believes he is god. There's a child molester and Crazy church Lady. Robbie's personality is also extremely strong and captured well.

I'd still say read it, even if you know the outcome beforehand; it offers so many things that the short story did not.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The book delves into the life of the father as opposed to the boy.
This is precisely why I couldn't read it. It delves into his life. Somewhere around where his new boss is trying to screw him over and he's getting all stressed about his family adjusting I just have to put it down.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loki
Member # 2788

- posted      Profile for Loki           Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget the Mean Teacher.

Loki

Posts: 39 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I read and enjoyed both immensely.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.

ADDED: Though "enjoyed" might not be the *best* word . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys is the only OSC book that I have not been able to re-read, and the only one that I don't own. I've actually tried to re-read it, recently even when my daughter checked it out of the library.

It's a fabulous book and incredibly well written - just too powerful.

Oddly, I did read the short story first, so I knew how it would end, and had no trouble reading it the first time, but I can't bring myself to do it again.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I also read the short story first.

-o-

I wonder if my experience of reading it would be very different now that I am a parent.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll read it eventually. Thanks for all the replies.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Loial, I know how you feel. I too read the short story of Lost Boys first. It took me two years to be able to actually read the book. The names in the book are all changed, as I'm sure you've noticed. However, the others are right, there are many added things in the novel. In some ways this makes it even harder to read, because you know the characters more, and dread anything bad happening. On the other hand, while it is a real tear jerker, it it also a very powerful book, and very good to read for parents because you can relate to the book so well, and it helps you reevaluate things in your own life.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.