FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is Dekota Fanning to old to play Petra?

Author Topic: Is Dekota Fanning to old to play Petra?
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering. I know OSC was kind of pulling for her (I'm referring to a review of War of the Worlds.)
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that if Dakota Fanning is in a movie, she has to be the lead child actor in it. It would be weird to have a bunch of unknowns playing the lead roles, and then to stick her in a semi-important role.

But she's certainly not too old, considering they were going to make Ender a little bit older than in the book, and Petra was older than Ender, and Dakota Fanning can look so young. I mean how old was Fern supposed to be? Nine?

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah, that totally destroys my imagined version of Petra. I imagined a dark haired, olive complexion for Petra. She's Armenian isn't she? Dakota Fanning is not my first choice, although she is a great child actor.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that by the time an Enders Game movie is made, she might not even be a teenager anymore, I'll say that she's way too old.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that she will be to old. The issue is here, how do you find talented children without exploiting them. Perhaps CGI or even altering the story a bit to use children that are a bit older. I personally feel she would have been great for the part, but by the time it hits the can she will be well beyond the window.

I think this issue is what would make it a difficult movie to put on the screen. The age of the soldiers has a large impact on the story. The age of the children make it very difficult to cast. I will wait with baited breath.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronus
Member # 9207

- posted      Profile for Chronus   Email Chronus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope they don't go the cg rout. It might work depending upon how they do it, but it usually doesn’t work.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A CGI/Anime production for Ender's Game has generally been dismissed for the reason that it would seem more like a children's movie, and it isn't.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
STOP TALKING ABOUT WHO WILL BE CAST IN THE ENDERS GAME MOVIE THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH!!! BESIDES GRAFF WHO IS OLD ANYWAYS ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS ARE USELESS!!! GRRR sorry needed to vent that, these forums go round and round the cgi topic the generals having a gender switch Rosie O donnal as someone blah just cut it out
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop reading threads about who will be cast in the Ender's Game movie. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

well perhaps the reason it gets beaten to death is its a fun excercise. Some of us are new to the forum and haven't yet had the chance to get it out of our systems.

On that note, I really hope they don't make it too americentric and keep plenty of charachters of different ethnicity.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they can do an animation rendition like A Scanner Darkly? Then they could cast kids and do voice overs, and it would be easier to do battle room scenes?

War Chief you don't have to read the thread.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Just like you newbs don't have to make use of the 'search' button.

Ain't free will great?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice, JT. [No No]

War Chief, if those of us who have been here far longer than you (and have seen a great many "casting EG" threads -- even participated in a few) can tolerate 'em, you have no excuse.

Anyway, not reading threads that don't interest you is excellent advice.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I kinda liked JT's response. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I say just use the whole cast of Smallville in it. Tom Welling as Ender, Kristin Kreuk as Petra, John Glover as Graff, and so forth.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

As long as they cast Dwayne Johnson as Bean, I don't care who else they cast.
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

I was hoping for Carmen Electra as Ender.... if you get to pick the rock, why not?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Now you're just being silly. [Roll Eyes]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
For the last time, the ONLY viable cast list for EG:

Ender: Paul Newman
Peter: Ben Affleck
Valentine: Mandy Moore
Graff: Nathan Lane
J.P. Wiggin: John Cusack
T.H. Wiggin: Joan Cusack
Anderson: John Travolta
Bean: Actually, Dwayne Johnson is a great idea.
Petra: Haley Joel Osmond
Mazer Rackham: John C. McGinley
Alai: Denzel Washington
Shen: Daniel Dae Kim
Bonzo: Luis Guzman
Han Tzu: Chow Yun Fat
Crazy Tom: Adam Brody
Dink: Benjamin McKenzie
Fly Molo: Dante Basco
Bugger Queen: Bea Arthur

There is no room for argument

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

Sorry, but Peter has to be Zach Braff.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I can see it now.

I was beginning to get irritated that my parents only ever noticed Ender. But I'm going to be the better person, and not take it out on him.

"I could kill you right now, and no one would know! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

...damn.

<stock sad music>

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem is that if Dakota Fanning is in a movie, she has to be the lead child actor in it. It would be weird to have a bunch of unknowns playing the lead roles, and then to stick her in a semi-important role.

I thought it was hilarious that Lindsay Lohan got top billing in A Prairie Home Companion, when she was not the lead, although she had a "semi-important role", and she was acting with the likes of Lily Tomlin and MERYL STREEP. Yeah.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think Fly Molo should be played by Meatwad, in a special animated appearance.

Otherwise, that cast looks good to me.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can see it now.

I was beginning to get irritated that my parents only ever noticed Ender. But I'm going to be the better person, and not take it out on him.

...damn.

<stock sad music>

dada da da di da da daaaaah, dada da da di da da daaaaah.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can see it now.

...damn.

<stock sad music>

That was beautiful.

"I can't win this war on my own
No I know -- I'm no superman"

[ January 25, 2007, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I still say a Robin Williams one-man show is the way to go.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You can never go wrong with a Robin Williams one-man show.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

If by 'never' you mean 'always'.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yeah. I get those mixed up.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
The bugger queen should be played by rosie odonnel.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
If by 'never' you mean 'always'.

And if by "you" you mean "him."

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Yeah. I always get those mixed up.

Fixed that for him.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Razz]
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, There's a search button? Or is that like the mysterious Staples 'Easy' button?

PS: I actually like the idea of Joan Cusack as Ender's mom... I *loved* her work in 'Loony Toons: Back in Action. Not, but seriously, She's awesome!!! I did a search for her on netflix and got all her movies (Right after Barbra Streisand). Who's John Cusack? Husband, brother, uncle, what?

PPS: The reason I included a 'PS' was because I found the content in the beginning of my post especially clever, and almost posted it by itself.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who's John Cusack? Husband, brother, uncle, what?

Fie! Fie on you! John Cusack was brilliant in Better Off Dead ("I want my two dollars! I want my two dollars!" "Oh man, you know the street value of this stuff?"), Serendipity, High Fidelity, Being John Malkovich, Grosse Pointe Blank (seriously hilarious movie), Identity, and so so so so many more.

I'm secretly in love with him. *shh!* Please don't tell my husband!

And yeah, Joan Cusack is his sister, and she's pretty funny in her own right. I loved her as his secretary in Grosse Pointe Blank. [Big Grin] Oh man, I wanna see that movie again!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Say Anything!

(After Better Off Dead, most classic John Cusack movie. And Joan's in it too, in a small role as his...sister.)

I, too, harbor feelings for him. Perhaps my longest-running celebrity crush, since I think Rob Lowe has been kind of icky for a while now.

Is there really not a role for Lindsay Lohan in this movie????

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I need to see Better Off Dead again. [Big Grin] It was so hilarious. [Big Grin]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

John Cusack's best movie is High Fidelity.

But he's good in everything.

Steve_G
Member # 10101

Back to the topic that started the thread. I think Dakotah Fanning would be great as Valentine. Valentine is older than ender, so an older Dakotah wouldn't matter. Plus Dakotah is absolutley believable as a compassionate person. Just imagine the scene of Valentine/Dakotah coming across Peter's eviscerated squirrel in the woods.

Of course for all I know Peter and Val were cut completely out of the script.

Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota Fanning seems too cute and girly for Petra. Valentine, maybe.

Incidentally, has anyone else always pictured Petra with a shaved (or nearly shaved) head?

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would Petra need a shaved head?
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Xan-
Member # 10091

- posted      Profile for -Xan-   Email -Xan-         Edit/Delete Post 
I picture Petra with short hair but not shaved, or nearly shaved. Actually I always pictured the Graff to have shaved head while everyone else have medium or long hair, with Petra with the shortest.
I don't know why though, seemed to fit well.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I've always pictured Petra with hair resembling Hermione's. It makes no sense--the book specifically mentions she's indistinguishable from a boy, except she's missing some equipment, and hair that long is a nuisance in a combat setting (esp. in zero-G!)--but there you go.

quote:
John Cusack's best movie is High Fidelity.

But he's good in everything.

Amen. Hornby's best book, Cusack's best movie.
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

Yeah, she would be a better Valentine, in my opinion... I'll have to check out this mysterious 'John Cusack' guy. Hmmmm.

I always thought of petra as having close-cropped hair. Remember, Ender thought she was a boy at first, or so I think. I don't want to be accused of heresey if I'm wrong.

I always thought of Valentine as having (Don't laugh) Red hair, though. But I guess Dekota could dye it.

And of course, this is all speculation that is really pointless, but I'm enjoying it.

happysmiley
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for happysmiley           Edit/Delete Post 
ummm... isn't petra armanian? Or would they die her hair? I can't exactly picture her as a genius in this movie(not that she's stupid or anything. Valentine is too wise, mature, and protective. Dakota Fanning needs to stick with the Charlotte's Web kind of movies.I don't think she could be anyone in this movie. She's too cute and playful just from looking at her. Don't get me wrong though, she's a good actress and did a killer job in War of the Worlds but this movie isn't for her.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.