FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Why, oh, why, did Card have to go there?

Author Topic: Why, oh, why, did Card have to go there?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd managed to avoid both 30 Rock and Scrubs up until now, despite slight temptation, because they're basically sitcoms, dang it, and sitcoms are just lame now, and I don't have the time anyway.

But by telling me they're a cross between the Marx Brothers and The Dick Van Dyke Show--well, that's like telling Michael Moore that Al Franken and Hillary Clinton had a kid, and he's running for office.

There's no way I can miss these shows any more.

Dang it, dang it, dang it.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about all that, but I do know that my "highest ambition in life is to watch soulless people say snippy things to each other between ridiculously self-knowing or ineptly plot-driven 'scenes.'"

Guess I'll just have to respectfully disagree with Card on this one.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrubs is the best show on TV (recently, though, it's been challenged by The Office), and has been for years.

Fie on anyone who doesn't watch it!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Scrubs is boring. I've never understood why it has such a huge following.

Of course, I can't stand The Office, either, so maybe that says something about me. Specifically, I have weird taste. ?

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Scrubs is the best show on TV (recently, though, it's been challenged by The Office), and has been for years.

Fie on anyone who doesn't watch it!

agreed!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think my three favorites shows are Arrested Development, South Park, and Scrubs.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I see Scrubs much the same way as I see Malcolm in the Middle, both are just hilarious, but neither will get the recognition it deserves.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few episodes of both Scrubs and The Office, but I saw nothing that made me want to watch more.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but how many of you who don't like scrubs and/or The Office and/or Arrested Development are fans of both the Dick Van Dyke show and the Marx Brothers?
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen enough of either to have an opinion.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like The Office; Scrubs is, eh, okay if nothing else is on; Arrested Development seemed to have potential. None of them seemed "hilarious" or "the best show on TV in years".

On the other hand, I love The Dick Van Dyke Show. I haven't seen much of the Marx Brothers but it doesn't seem like they'd really be my cup of tea.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate the Office.

I love Scrubs, though.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
30 Rock is good for a few chuckles, but Scrubs is one of my favorite shows. I have watched it from the beginning.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I really hate the Office.

I love Scrubs, though.

Precisely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Crap. I just read OSC's talk about Scrubs. My reaction so far has been pretty much like he said his was before he saw a season.

Now I feel like I need to go watch a season of it. And it was so fun feeling smug about not liking that which is insanely popular. <_<

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrubs is hilarious. Part of the best humor in the show comes from excessive inter-episode 'in-jokes'. You can't truly appreciate the show for all it's worth until you've seen quite a bit of it.

That's not to say it isn't funny the first time you see it, but it's more of a slapstick type of humor, which doesn't work for some people.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon the Dirk
Member # 9981

- posted      Profile for Jon the Dirk   Email Jon the Dirk         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy Scrubs, and my sister even got the first season on DVD. Unfortunatly the new episodes come on the same time as the new episodes of Grey's Anatomy, and you can guess which one we watch with three girls in the house. Hint: it's Grey's Anatomy. The ladies just love it!
Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Same exact show, but longer, and with fewer jokes.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:

[ROFL]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Scrubs, but can't stand The Office. I tried 30 Rock once and didn't get into it, but it wasn't as bad as The Office. I also don't like My Name is Earl much, which my mom loves.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Scrubs. Dr. Cox is awesome. But I think Arrested Development was the funniest show ever. Incredible writing. It was one of those shows that was too good for the average viewer. It should have been on HBO.

Current Favorite show: Dogfights, on the History Channel.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:

Uh . . . no, I think you're thinking of ER.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
You're saying ER is an angsty show about medical interns who are all living together or sleeping together in different arrangements, narrated by the angstiest one, who always ties together three or four plotlines at the end of the second act with a single moral?

Hmm. No, I think Grey's and Scrubs are more closely related [Smile]

[ February 18, 2007, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. Well, if you put it that way . . . you have a point. But I will sit here in my "Grey's is way different than Scrubs" bubble and pretend that you don't. [Razz]
vonk
Member # 9027

I love on a recent episode of Scrubs when one of the main characters mentions to another that he/she was watching Grey's Anatomy the night before and the other (maybe JD?) says something like, "That show is great, it's like their writing about our lives."
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to see I am not the only one who hates "the office". I don't use the word hate very often, but so many people keep telling me how great the show is so I try to watch it, or they force me to watch it at their house. I can't make it through more than 5-10 mins. It is almost painful.

Maybe it is just too close to my reality.

Scrubs is OK, but I forget to watch it most of the time.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scooter
Member # 6915

- posted      Profile for Scooter   Email Scooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, surprisdes about the negativity toward The Office. I don't laugh more or harder at any other show on TV--but, shocker, people have diverse tastes. Maybe because I can't relate to that environment makes it funnier to observe, and I have gotten to know the characters since the beginning.

Scrubbs, season 1, was brilliant--my favorite show at that time. I still watch now, but like so many shows at some point, much of it feels forced (I admit this about the Office as well--and My Name is Earl was funny the first season--this season it is pretty much unwatchable for me).

FWIW.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I just don't have this in common with you folks. All the shows you mentioned (except Gray's Anatomy) are not "Must see TV" for me. I can't watch Scrubs, like vonk said above, slapstick just doesn't do it for me. The Office just plain sucked when I tried to watch it. Yes it was painfully not funny in any way to me. 30 Rock was okay, but not worth Tivo'ing for me. Sadly, the few "sitcoms" I do Tivo are all from CBS, with one or two ABC mixed in. NBC used to rule my wife and I's sitcom world, but not in many years. Its sad, but the hour long drama or comedy-drama is all that I find worth watching. Boston Legal is still one of the funniest shows on TV to me. ;-)
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I love The Office, but I have trouble wholeheartedly enjoying the most uncomfortable scenes, because I can't distance myself from Michael's embarrassment. I have to hide under pillows and scream. My wife thinks I'm ridiculous ... she has no problem just laughing at it [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My reaction so far has been pretty much like he said his was before he saw a season.

Now I feel like I need to go watch a season of it.

Thing is, he never said he saw a season. He said he saw an episode.

quote:
But I finally broke down and watched an episode all the way through, and guess what: To my surprise, it's really funny.
Quite a strong stance to take on a several-season series after watching a single episode. Granted, I've watched Scrubs on occassion, and I've enjoyed it. But to write five paragraphs about the wonders of this series after watching a single episode? Seems a bit much.

It makes me wonder how many episodes of Studio 60 were watched before the ten paragraphs of negative criticism were written. Not that Studio 60 is a wonderful show (I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed the West Wing), but how often does OSC watch a show he apparently dislikes so vehemently? Was the negative Studio 60 review based on the same single-episode exposure that Scrubs had?

quote:
Hmm. No, I think Grey's and Scrubs are more closely related
I love when the Scrubs crew said they had to catch Grey's Anatomy, and Zach Braff said "It's like someone is filming our lives, you know?" [Big Grin]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
I love when the Scrubs crew said they had to catch Grey's Anatomy, and Zach Braff said "It's like someone is filming our lives, you know?"
Yeah, I liked that episode too. Though, I suppose I don't remember it as well.

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
I love on a recent episode of Scrubs when one of the main characters mentions to another that he/she was watching Grey's Anatomy the night before and the other (maybe JD?) says something like, "That show is great, it's like their writing about our lives."

[Razz]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh! Teaches me to skim! [Blushing]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.