FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Eye for Eye?

Author Topic: Eye for Eye?
Don Domande
Member # 8287

- posted      Profile for Don Domande   Email Don Domande         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm searching this new website, deepdiscount.com (used to be deepdiscountdvd.com - HIGHLY recommend it!), and came across them selling an audio version of Eye for Eye.

I thought I'd read everything of OSC, and had never heard of this! Anyone know anything about it?

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about a kid who can cause cancer with the power of his hatred. The most recent version I read (Card has redone it a couple of times) framed it as an interview/apologia, so it ought to make an interesting audiobook. I thought there was a short story version in Maps in a Mirror.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. It might be in Maps in a Mirror. I first read it around the time I first read "Fat Farm."

I don't know that it was that he caused cancer, but since his description of his power comes pretty early in the story I don't know if that qualifies as a spoiler.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, he messes around with the biowhatsit energy of other people when he's feeling strong emotions, then. Effects vary, but mostly it's cancer.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It won the Hugo award for best novella in 1988.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
It also used to be sold as a Tor "Double" with Lloyd Biggle Jr.'s "The Tunesmith."
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it with Tunesmith... it was very disturbing, but many Card short stories are... that's where the darker side seems to come out. I mean, not everything can be as light and cheery as Ender's Game.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I treat Card's short stories very, very gingerly after reading the one with the executions.

*shudders*

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Eye is indeed in Maps. Can't remember which one, but it was one of my favorites.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Domande
Member # 8287

- posted      Profile for Don Domande   Email Don Domande         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah - I remember that one, now - didn't think of it since it looked like it was a full book rather than a short story. Might be worth getting, then...

I'd love to find an audio version of the entire Maps in a Mirror, but can you imagine how many discs that would involve?

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on, if they can put Rober Jordan's stuff on CD, they could do Maps... I think the biggest book on CD I've gotten was near 30.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.