FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » .

Author Topic: .
PurpleHaze
Member # 10315

- posted      Profile for PurpleHaze   Email PurpleHaze         Edit/Delete Post 
If OSC somehow got an mmo going, I would wish it was better than WoW so I could stop playing =(.

I don't think that it should be a Treason type of game. It wouldnt be as much of an rpg. The ideas I am getting from a lot of you is a lot like the game described in the Worthing Saga.

It would also be very weird though to have an early american feel...reminds me of Oregon Trail LOL.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I saw somewhere that there was going to be an Alvin Maker MMO, but untill then you can play.......Guild Wars!! I really want to start a GW vs WoW deabate sometime. [Smile]
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
What's with the annoying thread title?
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by gsim1337:
I really want to start a GW vs WoW deabate sometime. [Smile]

No monthly fee is a very nice feature, although I have honestly played neither since their stress tests.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyronist
Member # 9691

- posted      Profile for Cyronist           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I own both GW and WoW, and I'd have to say WoW wins by a long shot. GW has a clunky combat system, and is way unbalanced. Certain class combos and builds can be cheap, such as that one build when you get your max health down to like 40 or something and you use the ability where you can't take more than 10% health damage. Nothing like that in WoW.

Theres just so much more to do in WoW too, in GW the level cap is 20, and if you know what your doing you can get there in 5 hours. In WoW if you play super-focused and you know EXACTLY what to do you can hit 60 in 5 days of gameplay time, my paladin has 10 days clocked and is only lvl 53. They even upgraded to level cap to 70 now.

Yes, GW has better graphics, but I don't really care. In my book, gameplay>graphics any day.

Let the debate begin!

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
What's with the annoying thread title?

It's not annoying, it's unique.
[Wink]

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

quote:
such as that one build when you get your max health down to like 40 or something and you use the ability where you can't take more than 10% health damage. Nothing like that in WoW.
Not 40, 55 (aka: the invincimonk). The only reason there are gimmiky builds and because the level cap is so low is because of the 8 slot skill bar. You aren't able to spam 20-30 different skills so the gameplay revolves around your choice of skills to put on your skill bar and your actual player skill.

quote:
GW has a clunky combat system, and is way unbalanced.
I have never seen the combat system to be unbalanced, in both PvE and PvP. In both there are definantly some "class combos and builds" that are cheap, but about once every few months ANet does a skill rebalance and changes the effects of a lot of skills. This keeps the metagame change and nerfs those cheap builds. I have never seen it to be clunky either, and with about 8 different forms or PvP going from 1v1 to 12v12 it as amazingly smooth, and each has its own learning curve. The PvE choices are near endless, with over 50 different Role-Playing missions, and about 15 different challenge missions.

quote:
Theres just so much more to do in WoW too
You can do so much more? Oh, I forgot that you people in WoW could jump! That is just so amazing! Does that seriously mean you can jump down off a ledge to the floor? I'm so jealous! But as for more to do, the combined continents of Tyria, Cantha, and Elona, from the three campaigns out so far there is as much stuff to do as WoW+WoW BC. Not to mention the fact the GW Eye of the North (the fourth expansion/standalone game in the series) is coming out this summer, and GW2 (the full sequel) is coming out after that.

That really felt good.

Sorry for ruining your thread PurpleHaze.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyronist:

Theres just so much more to do in WoW too, in GW the level cap is 20, and if you know what your doing you can get there in 5 hours.

To be honest, this is more of a good thing than a bad one for me. The mainstream MMORPG I played the longest was Dark Age of Camelot, and by far the aspect I found the most fun was the RvR part of the game. Unfortunately, it became more and more clear to me that the way the game was set up, it would be almost impossible for me to take part in that side of the game without devoting a lot more time to building up my character than I really wanted to spend. So at least in theory, GW sounds like it would be more the type of game I would enjoy.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Robot Lords
Member # 9228

- posted      Profile for Mighty Robot Lords           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't played either. Yay Runescape!
Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyronist
Member # 9691

- posted      Profile for Cyronist           Edit/Delete Post 
Runescape. Barf.

Anyways, this is actually a good WoW verses GW argument. Both games have strengths and weaknesses, and it mainly depends on personal opinion. in GW, battles can end in seconds, people are often 1-hitted and the game is about skill much more than the time you spend playing the game, and thats a feature that I like WoW a lot more for.

Also a feature I don't like about GW is EVERYTHING is instanced. With an exception of towns. I dunno, I feel like I'm alone in that game most of the time.

Anyway, I also don't like the community of GW. It seems to be a lot less mature than the WoW community. I get constant scam offers and people asking to buy my Runescape account, of which I have none. I also seem to see a lot more naked female characters running around dancing. Ooook then.

I dunno, it all really depends on what you like more. As for now, I'm go level my druid on WoW =P.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

quote:
Also a feature I don't like about GW is EVERYTHING is instanced.
I actually like the feature. It makes it easier to farm gold and green (boss) weapons, and missions/quests are easier too. I do agree with you on the fact that it is just personal preference though.

And about the community, PUGs usually are immature, but the guilds/alliances usually aren't. There are scammers in just about every MMO, and *cough* Night Elfs *cough**cough*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.